Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Stream First New Track Online

September 27th is the official release date that has been set for Opeth's new record In Cauda Venenum. The group tracked the album in both English and Swedish language versions. Today, the band has unveiled a bi-lingual visualizer for the first new song, "Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör" / "Heart In Hand". Check it out.

Commenting on the new song, vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Mikael Åkerfeldt says: "Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör" or "Heart In Hand" as it's called in English is one of the first couple of songs I wrote for In Cauda Venenum. I immediately knew that it would probably be favoured by 'the powers that be' when talks of future singles for the record would commence. And I was right. I generally leave it up to the labels or managements to pick the so-called singles. I'm indifferent as I put an equal amount of dedication into all songs, so it doesn't matter all that much to me. I guess it's one of the more straightforward songs on the album. A rather rocking little thing. It's got one of the "happy mistakes" in it too. Mendez bass broke down in the middle of recording. At the time he played an old Hofner Beatles-esque bass guitar that started humming real bad, but it sounded so good we immediately decided to keep it in there. I'd be putting myself down if I said that noise is the best part of the song, but it's up there. I like when stuff happens out of your control, and it actually adds to the piece. This is the first full taster of the new Opeth album, and of course I hope you like it. All the songs on the new album are different from each other and therefore equally representable in my view. Enjoy!"

Regarding the sonic direction of the new record, Åkerfeldt adds: "For us, at this stage with In Cauda Venenum, heaviness isn't guitars tuned down with screaming vocals over the top. That's not necessarily what I call 'heavy' music these days. I can listen to Korn and say, 'OK, that's heavy'. But it doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean, I catch up on things in magazines or online. I read about bands that have the 'heaviest record ever', and I'm not too impressed by that. OK, it's cool but what does it say? What does it mean? It's an impossible mission, to be the heaviest. That's been done before. Over time, I got tired of that tag. Of course, when I was younger it meant everything to me. I was always on the pursuit for heaviness in my youth, trying to find the next level of heaviness. First it was death metal, then it was bands like Meshuggah, but heaviness is now more about emotions, heavy chord progressions, music that has feelings. Heaviness doesn't mean Meshuggah anymore, although indeed they're a fucking heavy band. I'm not trying to tap into that anymore."

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 12.07.2019 by Abattoir

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 394 users
13.07.2019 - 03:48
Lord Slothrop

I love it.
13.07.2019 - 06:00
Rupert

Their drummer is so good.
13.07.2019 - 07:48
DonMoenning

Damn! This is the most "classic Opeth" thing they've done since Watershed, by far. Love it!
13.07.2019 - 08:13
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not bad actually. Reminds me of Pale Communion with a hint of the "good" parts of the last album, which were few and far between. I think it's hard for me to get excited for an Opeth album at this point, but I don't doubt this will be at least decent.
13.07.2019 - 13:28
AndreMarcos

Honestly this song is a lot more boring than what i was expecting. It had one or two good moments but with amount of material they had, it had no business being 17 minutes long, that just made so repetitive.
13.07.2019 - 13:48
Zap
Written by AndreMarcos on 13.07.2019 at 13:28

Honestly this song is a lot more boring than what i was expecting. It had one or two good moments but with amount of material they had, it had no business being 17 minutes long, that just made so repetitive.

The video is 17 minutes long but it has two versions of the same song. One in Swedish and one in English. It's funny to me that you were so bored you didn't realize this haha.
13.07.2019 - 14:30
BehzadSh

Seems like you didn't listen to it completely, yet you judge it.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
13.07.2019 - 16:40
BlankFile

Written by Deviant on 12.07.2019 at 17:28

Written by BlankFile on 12.07.2019 at 16:29

Wow... this if fucking awsome. Are they really back?

Yeah man, this is good stuff. After being unable to get into Pale Communion and Sorceress, I'm seriously digging this. To me it is reminiscent of their old sound without trying to recycle old work, and of course without growls.

Absolutely. I have the same sensation. I think this álbum will probably be the best one from Opeth since Watershed.
13.07.2019 - 17:34
Deviant

Written by BlankFile on 13.07.2019 at 16:40

Written by Deviant on 12.07.2019 at 17:28

Written by BlankFile on 12.07.2019 at 16:29

Wow... this if fucking awsome. Are they really back?

Yeah man, this is good stuff. After being unable to get into Pale Communion and Sorceress, I'm seriously digging this. To me it is reminiscent of their old sound without trying to recycle old work, and of course without growls.

Absolutely. I have the same sensation. I think this álbum will probably be the best one from Opeth since Watershed.

I really hope so, actually looking forward to this one.
13.07.2019 - 18:22
JayMo4

I really like it, but then I love this kind of music in addition to loving progressive death metal. I don't care what genre Akerfeldt wants the band to play, so long as the music is interesting. To me, this is.
14.07.2019 - 19:38
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

A lot of the metal elitist, "NeEdS tO bE fAsTeR n' HeAvIeR" people on here could really benefit from reading his thoughts on "heaviness."
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
14.07.2019 - 20:49
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 14.07.2019 at 19:38

A lot of the metal elitist, "NeEdS tO bE fAsTeR n' HeAvIeR" people on here could really benefit from reading his thoughts on "heaviness."

We read it and we concluded that he's an old fart out of touch.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
14.07.2019 - 22:12
JoHn Doe

It's ok, but I can't say it's impressive or anything. Maybe it needs more listens which i for now don't have the time.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
15.07.2019 - 22:25
Crème fraiche

I wrote this haiku for you all.. Enjoy!

People like Opeth
People like to hate Opeth
People hate Opeth
16.07.2019 - 13:17
AndreMarcos

Written by Zap on 13.07.2019 at 13:48

The video is 17 minutes long but it has two versions of the same song. One in Swedish and one in English. It's funny to me that you were so bored you didn't realize this haha.

You are absolutely correct. I just thought that they had mixed english and swedish lyrics
But to be honest knowing this makes me even more disappointed with the song.
16.07.2019 - 15:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Better as old non metal albums, but still. I ask does you like metal or are fan boys of one band?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.07.2019 - 22:39
dterric

I tried, just like everything after Watershed, not my style, seems groovy tho.
19.07.2019 - 10:43
Daniell
_爱情_

This goes to show how much attention some people pay while listening to and then judging music
29.07.2019 - 20:51
AndreMarcos

Written by Daniell on 19.07.2019 at 10:43

This goes to show how much attention some people pay while listening to and then judging music

To be fair it is pretty uncommon to put the same song back to back in the same youtube video, most bands just put one video with the english version and another with, in this case, the swedish version. Secondly you are mistakenly confusing giving an opinion about a song and judging it which are very different from one another. Finally if you need to give your full attention to realize an Opeth's song is boring you probably need to start listen to some more music specially in the prog rock genre.
30.07.2019 - 23:02
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by AndreMarcos on 29.07.2019 at 20:51

To be fair it is pretty uncommon to put the same song back to back in the same youtube video, most bands just put one video with the english version and another with, in this case, the swedish version. Secondly you are mistakenly confusing giving an opinion about a song and judging it which are very different from one another. Finally if you need to give your full attention to realize an Opeth's song is boring you probably need to start listen to some more music specially in the prog rock genre.

Sure, whatever.

Hits total: 5334 | This month: 4