08. The Garroter
09. Continuum
10. All Things Will Pass
11. The Mob [extended edition bonus]
12. Width Of A Circle [extended edition bonus]
13. Freedom & Tyranny [extended edition bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded and mixed at Park Studios, Stockholm.
Production by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Co-produced by Stefan Boman and Opeth.
Engineered and mixed by Stefan Boman with Opeth.
Mastered by Geoff Pesche at Abbey Road Studios.

Strings recorded at Angel Studios by Dave Stewart.
Strings written by Mikael Åkerfeldt and arranged by Dave Stewart.

Artwork and design by Travis Smith for Seempieces.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Opeth still haven't quite nailed their prog rock sound, but they're getting closer.

Read more ››
published 01.10.2019 | Comments (17)

Don't listen to metal. Listen to music. You'll love this album if you do.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Ivor
Bandcamp music player

Found in 39 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 69   Visited by: 1167 users
14.07.2019 - 09:01
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Long gone are the days when Opeth fanboyism was present in everyone everywhere.

If Rupophobic was still alive, would he be able to love and masturbate over present day Opeth? Would he write another ode to the band's superior skills only matched by Bethoven, Bach and Mozart?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.08.2019 - 12:57
MH_WarWizard

I just can't get into any of the opeth albums post watershed. Such a shame, it's just not the same.
----
Oh Glorious Metal
28.08.2019 - 01:37
Rating: 9
Tuonelan

According to a Loudwire interview with Mikael, the Swedish version is the original and the English version was him worrying that some listeners might be reluctant to buy a Swedish language only version of the record.

Swedish version it is.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
28.08.2019 - 15:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by MH_WarWizard on 23.08.2019 at 12:57

it's just not the same.

It seems to me that that was the point of Opeth's stylistic metamorphosis.
26.09.2019 - 01:24
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
They've been pretty rubbish since Watershed...trying to sound like some amalgamation of bands from a bygone era only to come across as a poorly though-out ode or expreiment. But...from what I've heard so far from this new album there's a glimmer of old Opeth shining through so perhaps for the first time in 8 years I will enjoy one of their albums again.
27.09.2019 - 13:28
Rating: 7
AndreMarcos

I appreciate the fact that they are doing the music that they want to, instead of being constrained by their previous sound/style. But with the change of style there also seems to have happen a change in creativeness and overall quality.

That being said this might be their best album of this new era.
27.09.2019 - 14:17
Its actually quite nice music, not metal at all i guess, but im still enjoying this more that i thought i would. halfway listening to Swedish version and it sounds really good.

since i never really payed much attention to opeth, what album from their metal phase would you guys recommend me to hear?
27.09.2019 - 15:25
Zap
Sounds different from their previous three albums. Less show-off-y. It feels like they're telling a story (I listened to the Swedish version though, so for all I know they were actually singing about IKEA)
I like it but I have a feeling it will never be more than background music.

EDIT: Well, Zaph, your fears were unfounded, this is not background music. By far the best thing Opeth have done since Watershed.
27.09.2019 - 15:51
Rating: 8
IllusiveCamel🐪

Written by homemadeweapon on 27.09.2019 at 14:17

since i never really payed much attention to opeth, what album from their metal phase would you guys recommend me to hear?

I think the ratings on this site are pretty spot on, Blackwater Park is their strongest and the best of the more death metal phase, while Ghost Reveries is the best example of them mixing in more of the prog rock that they play now.
27.09.2019 - 16:59
musclassia

First listen, but I'm actually really impressed by this - need to check the others but this is probably my favourite retro-prog Opeth album by a comfortable margin.
27.09.2019 - 17:04
Gumbert

I always liked this band. That's all I want to say.
27.09.2019 - 17:38
Rating: 10
Best of the Newpeth era for sure. But I like all Opeth generations. This is heavy, dark and rich.
27.09.2019 - 18:24
HyperDrifter

Fredrik showcases some very awesome solos in this album and there are sprinkles of old Opeth dotted around but I just find the majority of it dull.
27.09.2019 - 19:58
Lord Slothrop

Listened to it twice last night (Swedish version) and each time it really pulled me in. I miss old Opeth sometimes, but this is some really great music.
27.09.2019 - 20:09
yahkob

The Garroter reminds me of a dark version of humphalumps and woozles from winnie the pooh. God damnit Mikael no one cares about your weird prog stuff frig off m8
27.09.2019 - 20:28
Tuonelan

I don't care what anyone else says, that George Benson singing-along-with-the-guitar-solo shit is metal AF.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
27.09.2019 - 20:46
Jeeers

Almost fell asleep on my first listen. "Woke up" when the last song started playing - that one somewhat reminded me of "good old times". Nice track.
The album needs more listens, but one thing is sure for me about this new Opeth era - if we would pick 3 good songs from each of the last 4 albums - we could have some solid material for ONE really good Opeth album.
Good ideas, great moments, quality music, very decent vocals, but still lacking that great melancholic and also sinister vibe that I love about their music from previous era. I have no need for death metal growls - I have always been an admirer of Opeth's more mellow face - Damnation album for example, but this one is quite disjointed effort as "progressive music" sometimes tends to be...
I am not impressed too much by their last album, but in a way it's OK... And that's a problem. They used to be pretty great IMHO.
27.09.2019 - 21:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
So is Allting Tar Slut about a woman who has a bizarre fetish for orgies in a tar pit or what
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.09.2019 - 22:01
Jeeers

Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2019 at 21:41

So is Allting Tar Slut about a woman who has a bizarre fetish for orgies in a tar pit or what

Probably.
27.09.2019 - 22:47
JoHn Doe

Written by Tuonelan on 27.09.2019 at 20:28

I don't care what anyone else says, that George Benson singing-along-with-the-guitar-solo shit is metal AF.

so there's a George Benson pastiche on this album?
maybe i should give this a lisyen?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.09.2019 - 03:52
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2019 at 21:41

Probably a misspelling of "Althing Tar Slut" - she is obviously Icelandic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althing
28.09.2019 - 07:14
MH_WarWizard

Written by homemadeweapon on 27.09.2019 at 14:17

Its actually quite nice music, not metal at all i guess, but im still enjoying this more that i thought i would. halfway listening to Swedish version and it sounds really good.

Blackwater park is good, but my personal favorite is "Still life"
----
Oh Glorious Metal
28.09.2019 - 22:10
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Just finished listening to this album a............
28.09.2019 - 23:06
Rating: 6
Hrodebert

I have liked softer Opeth, but this album just not liking at all, it sounds like a bad Pink Floyd knock off album.
29.09.2019 - 01:29
rafaelars

My expectations were so low... And my first listen went quite well, actually. I even can affirm that I enjoyed this one more than the previous albums from this proggy era.
29.09.2019 - 07:46
Lord Slothrop

The Tarpit Slut orgy song is amazing, best they've done in years.
29.09.2019 - 10:05
ATG

Sucks
29.09.2019 - 12:48
BehzadSh

Written by Guest on 26.09.2019 at 01:24

They've been pretty rubbish since Watershed...trying to sound like some amalgamation of bands from a bygone era only to come across as a poorly though-out ode or expreiment. But...from what I've heard so far from this new album there's a glimmer of old Opeth shining through so perhaps for the first time in 8 years I will enjoy one of their albums again.

Agreed. "In Cauda Venenum" is much much better and mature than 3 previous albums. But In my opinion, it is not mature enough. They have still too much way to go.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
29.09.2019 - 17:18
Rating: 6
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
C'mon Mikael, enough is enough.
30.09.2019 - 09:47
Theodore V
Account deleted

Hits total: 19401 | This month: 97