01. Birth Of The Enemy Of Man
02. Early Life
03. A Freezing Cave
04. Hunter-Gatherer, Destroyer-Wanderer
05. Humans
06. Night
07. Starvation
08. Death

Brute force with intricate thoughts put into it. This two-sided concept is what makes Neoandertals the brilliantly puzzling yet undeniably simple band ready to bash your skull in with a club.

Ever since their beginning (15 years ago! Congrats!), Neoandertals have created one of the most unique and vibrant portraits of violence. Armed with highly skilled drumming, brain-liquefying bass, and some of the lowest and most disgusting gutturals you can find, Neoandertals' type of death metal is the perfect sonic translation of primitive carnage. I really mean it when I say "perfect," because once you know that the band's themes are fantasy-mixed-with-science tales of our brute forefathers, you will find it impossible to think of a more ideal sound than this one.

The gory visions you get are so vivid. The Estonian duo really pushes the limits of how much you can create with so little. Exploring their discography, you will notice how they keep fine-tuning their sound just the tiniest bit to achieve completely different products, from the early insane brutal death metal to more clicky and technical sounds that flirt with dirty sludge and punk. They even proved a point in not being a one-note band by releasing a frigging fusion jam that still carries their unique themes. Here's the punchline, though: I wouldn't call Neoandertals an avant-garde act per se, because at the end of the day, if you exclude their instrumental album, it really is death metal. Just not the way you normally imagine it. Kind of like what Botanist did with black metal.

So what's new this time around? The fucking grooooooove! The bass is more prominent compared to the Ebu Gogo days and carries an extra oomph and a cleaner sound that makes the riffs clearer and catchier. It makes the album a bit more accessible than their previous efforts, with even some refined death metal riffs and occasional melodies (see "Early Life" and "Humans"). Do not think for a second that these bipedal brutes have become somewhat civilized, though! Rain Pohlak's vocals are still absolutely grotesque and serve as another vile layer to build upon. Sandra Vugin is an absolute monster behind the kit as well. More often than not, her beats serve as the main force of the songs, especially once the duo decides to focus on a specific set of riffs, like in "A Freezing Cave".

Neanderthal Parallax feels at times way too short with its 23 minutes in length. On the other hand, after considering how little time it would take for one member of the Neanderthal family to turn you into pulp, you'll see this album as the soundtrack to a never-ending nightmare. Two people. Two instruments. One crazy idea. The result truly is greater than the sum of its parts.

Written on 28.07.2019 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 2   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 97 users
28.07.2019 - 13:47
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Taking "caveman riffs" too literally
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.08.2019 - 13:45
Desha
delicious dish
Yeah it's crazy how different it feels to Ebu Gogo just with that different bass production. This is almost feels like a stoner/sludge record to me. Because of that I don't really know what to think of it compared to Ebu Gogo, which was almost anti-music to me. This one is more in line with what I usually like, and for some reason I think that's why I like it less
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill

Hits total: 2614 | This month: 5