Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Deny Plagiarism Accusations Concerning "Eva"

The new Nightwish single EVA is currently under investigation by finnish Teosto.

The chorus of the song is claimed to be very much similar to a song "Whirlpool" by Jukka Reinvuo, a relatively unknown finnish artist. In fact the chorus sounds so similar that it is accused of being plagiarized.

Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish denies the accusations saying that he has just heard about this today and that he has never heard neither the song nor the artist. Tuomas Holopainen would be interested of hearing the song before saying anything else about the matter.

All the profits from the EVA single will be given to charity. Finnish salesprofits are sent to two familyhomes in Kitee: Perhekoti Viliina and Perhekoti Tiaisen Pesä.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 06.06.2007 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 30   Visited by: 16 users
06.06.2007 - 18:19
WreckingCrew
Account deleted
ooo busted!

thought it was about plagiarism of the new singers look looking too much like their old singer
06.06.2007 - 18:38
jadawal
fuck that shit, its all going to charity anyways so who gives a fuck
06.06.2007 - 19:31
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Guest on 06.06.2007 at 18:19

ooo busted!

thought it was about plagiarism of the new singers look looking too much like their old singer

Haha.That was a good comment.
Well,it does matter. :
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
06.06.2007 - 19:52
Carrion
Account deleted
Well at least conserning how much has happened, Tuomas won't be bored.
06.06.2007 - 20:05
Etaín
Read this a while ago. Just someone trying to make some cash, what an idiot. A song that no one has ever freakin heard of, and a big band like Nightwish is gonna steal that ... right :
06.06.2007 - 20:24
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
The musical notes are seven... it's normal that sometimes a person writes something similar to the work of another one... I don't think this will be a plagiarism anyway
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
06.06.2007 - 20:49
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Its all going to charity, then if there's really plagiarism, he should be proud of it rather than to carry charges
06.06.2007 - 22:02
RavenLord
Written by Katatronik on 06.06.2007 at 20:24

The musical notes are seven... it's normal that sometimes a person writes something similar to the work of another one... I don't think this will be a plagiarism anyway

Twelve, actually. And just because there are only 12 notes in Western music doesn't mean that artists are bound to run out of them. If you use a simple scale and a simple mode, then, yes, it is possible that songs will sound alike. However, something written in the blues scale (e.g. Tornado of Souls) is going to sound very different from something written with, say, an Arabic feel (Necrophobic's 'Awakening') or Egyptian feel (Creeping Death, Powerslave etc.), which are written in different modes (and I know hardly any of them). Notes aren't the only thing governing music; scales and keys are probably more important than individual notes ('The whole is greater than the sum of the parts')

That said, from what I remember of the chorus of 'Eva', the vocal melody (which is what is being criticised, here, I'm sure), was fairly simple, if pleasant. I don't doubt that it's possible that this song resembles it vaguely, but I doubt its plagiarism.

EDIT: Here's the song in question. Listening to it and to Eva, it's really only the first couple of notes of the chorus in each which sound alike. Which would imply that they're the same notes, by accident (probably in the same key). A coincidence, not plagiarism.
----
06.06.2007 - 22:39
Icewings
La Luna
OMG MORE SCANDAL!!!! well it has happen before and even happen to me !I kind of did this music and then later I heard this band that I have never heard before from australia and OMG they had my rhythm and sound !I wonder why people get similar ideas!
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
06.06.2007 - 23:02
Golden Wing
I guess the primal idea of this scandal was not to earn money by accusing Nightwish in plagiarism. That musician just wanted to make his name worldwide known. And now it is so
06.06.2007 - 23:32
SacredBlade
Here we go...after monthes of not hearing anything from Nightwish all of the sudden there's topic after topic in the news concerning the bands actions. (Anything to try and get the band back in the spotlight)...please...
we don't really care that much Tuomas...
06.06.2007 - 23:37
Bitch Boy
Written by Etaín on 06.06.2007 at 20:05

Read this a while ago. Just someone trying to make some cash, what an idiot. A song that no one has ever freakin heard of, and a big band like Nightwish is gonna steal that ... right :

I agree. That's a really stupid accusation, I think that Nightwish don't need to do such a thing..
06.06.2007 - 23:45
Ernis
狼獾
I listened to that Finnish guy's song....well....it does make you hum "Eva"...but otherwise these can't be compared at all at all....however, it's awfully stupid....this guy is probably wanting the attention of the publicity...seriously, why should Tuomas copy his music....especially if it's an unknown author....besides...I'm sure that Tuomas has his own mind and his own ways of writing....
07.06.2007 - 00:26
Etaín
Written by SacredBlade on 06.06.2007 at 23:32

Here we go...after monthes of not hearing anything from Nightwish all of the sudden there's topic after topic in the news concerning the bands actions. (Anything to try and get the band back in the spotlight)...please...
we don't really care that much Tuomas...

Are you serious? ... Yeh ofcours, it was a part of Tuomas' big masterplan to get accused of this so he could get his face in the media!
07.06.2007 - 01:35
SacredBlade
Yes I'm serious. I didn't say it was a plan, but I know what should have been his plan - Keep Tarja in the band. Besides, their all but finished now. Sure they will sell alot of CD's and people will want to hear them out of loyality or just curiosity, but everyone will have to face the fact that "Nightwish" at least the band I reconize is a thing of the past. Period.
07.06.2007 - 08:53
SirHooke
Heh, I don't think this is real plagiarism, probably just a coincidence.. But the guy has guts to sue them
you know HIM once plagiarised a Belgian band? (probably a coincidence, but funny as hell)
07.06.2007 - 09:07
Hyvaarin
Written by Etaín on 06.06.2007 at 20:05

Not suggesting Tuomas stole it, but to say that he couldn't have because his band is famous is silly.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.06.2007 - 11:20
Etaín
@Suicider: Yeh, the Clouseau song! It soo sounds alike

@Sacred: Tuomas is a weird emotional dude, and im sure he's big enough to make his own decisions. He doesnt need the so called 'fans' to make them for him. New people get to know Nightwish every day. Some will only know them with Anette. So like you said, its only the Nightwish YOU know Not everyone will share your opinion, so pretty useless to generalize stuff.

@Hyvaarin: What i meant is ... A band like Nightwish that is already so known, and has brought out amazing stuff doesnt need to steal songs. They've already proven that they can make em good enough on their own
07.06.2007 - 12:36
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Nightwish, metal's new whipping post.
----
07.06.2007 - 15:47
KryptoN
imperceptible
I heard both of the songs and the accusations are pure bullshit. "Pure bullshit" fits the quality of the vocalist in Jukka Reinivuo's song quite well too, but that's not the point here... Anyway, at first (2-3 seconds) in the chorus there's a slightly similar melody. "Slightly" and "2-3 seconds" being the key parts of that sentence. That's the only remotely similar part of these songs. If that guy really thinks Nightwish stole his stuff, he's a rotten moron. Probably just looking for popularity for his unknown little band. And if he'll get that, it'll be extremely funny since according to the few songs I've heard, the stuff is very amateurish and reminds me of school bands.
07.06.2007 - 17:22
Eternal Flames
While I have heard this song that Nightwish have been accused of plagiarising, it's only that small first section of the chorus that sounds slightly similar in melody. However, despite that it may have just been a coincidence, I don't believe Nightwish's claim that they've never heard the song before either.

If you have a look at the cover of Evanescence's self-titled EP released back in 1999, you will realise that it is almost identical to Nightwish's 2004 release "Once". Now, from this Nightwish seem to have some accusations of plagiarising already. While I respect Nightwish as great musicians and all, I can't help and think that this is more than just 'coincidental'.
07.06.2007 - 17:31
Jiri
I think that Jukka Reinvuo is just looking for a fast paycheck.
07.06.2007 - 19:14
Zenzero
Zenzero
If tuomas want to plagie a song he could plagie a less boring song......
07.06.2007 - 22:00
spacecat
Tuomas is definately out of ideas. Copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste!
First he fired Sami, then Tarja got a letter, now he's a copycat - what's next?! Gee, he's trying very hard to get some attention!
He should get marry and shut up for a change. He's getting old.
----
...who are you...where are you...what are you doing...
07.06.2007 - 23:29
SacredBlade
Written by Etaín on 07.06.2007 at 11:20

@Suicider: Yeh, the Clouseau song! It soo sounds alike

@Sacred: Tuomas is a weird emotional dude, and im sure he's big enough to make his own decisions. He doesnt need the so called 'fans' to make them for him. New people get to know Nightwish every day. Some will only know them with Anette. So like you said, its only the Nightwish YOU know Not everyone will share your opinion, so pretty useless to generalize stuff.

@Hyvaarin: What i meant is ... A band like Nightwish that is already so known, and has brought out amazing stuff doesnt need to steal songs. They've already proven that they can make em good enough on their own

Well thank you for clairifying that for me, I was under the impression that without "fans" you're nothing.....
07.06.2007 - 23:41
Etaín
Yeh ofcours. But that doesnt mean he cant fire Tarja just because the fans say he shouldnt. His music, his decision. If he thinks its whats best for the band, who are the fans to say he's wrong.
07.06.2007 - 23:58
SacredBlade
Enough said, let's just agree to disagree.
08.06.2007 - 09:30
Etaín
Fine You do know that Tarja was gonna leave anyway after this album? So they just made it a bit sooner ...
08.06.2007 - 11:10
Asitis
Written by Katatronik on 06.06.2007 at 20:24

Yeah, there are so many metal bands, and I'm sure that none of them are truly unique. Everything has been done musically, its impossible to create a all unique style.. What in 20 years? Bands with only one crappy demo are sueing Black Sabbath because it really does kinda sound like them?
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
09.06.2007 - 17:22
IronAngel
And Bling Guardian plagiarized Iron Maiden's Aces High in Welcome To Dying. *sagely nod*

Hits total: 4208 | This month: 4