Reviewer:
N/A

129 users:
Band: Tomb Mold
Album: Planetary Clairvoyance
Style: Death metal
Release date: July 2019

01. Beg For Life
02. Planetary Clairvoyance (They Grow Inside Pt 2)
03. Phosphorene Ultimate
04. Infinite Resurrection
05. Accelerative Phenomenae
06. Cerulean Salvation
07. Heat Death

I reviewed a lot of OSDM albums in 2018. For some reason, I decided not to review Tomb Mold's Manor Of Infinite Forms. It got nominated for Best Death Metal Album in our awards. So I guess now it's time to right some wrongs.

Tomb Mold seems to be riding on top of the OSDM wave, getting some of the most recognition that recent bands of the kind have been getting. In a subgenre not very famous for its originality and innovation, they still managed to stand out, even in such a strong year as 2018. With a full length every year since 2016 (two demos that together have enough material for a full length in 2016, so it counts), it seems like 2019 will be no exception, with Planetary Clairvoyance already seeming to stand out from the pack. How so?

To be quite honest, I don't exactly get it why out of all the bands, Tomb Mold get so much of the attention. But out of all the bands to be getting attention, they're really not undeserving of it. They're raw, vicious, slimy and write some damn good riffs. I was a bit taken aback by how prolific they seem to have been since their inception and was worried they'd get a bit stale, but Planetary Clairvoyance is a clear step forward from Manor Of Infinite Forms. If the Sci-fi theme and the album title don't already give off hints of it, the album does take light steps towards a more technical direction, shedding bits of the doom skin they had, in turn creating some of the most engaging riffs they've ever crafted.

With an acoustic guitar interlude in the very first track and an ambient track in the very first third of the album, it seems like Tomb Mold are intentionally altering the flow of the record. A weird choice that I can't exactly praise, but it did make me more interested in what could come next. And what came next are obviously riffs, solos and repetitive growls. I like the vocals, but I really appreciate the moments where they diverge from the usual low and monotone, and thankfully there's quite a few of those. Yet it is obviously the guitar work that is deserving of praise here in its dissonant and distorted glory, with just enough changes of tempo to be appreciated in different paces.

I could probably find other OSDM bands that I'd like to have the spotlight instead of Tomb Mold, but after listening to Planetary Clairvoyance, I really don't find any reason to do so. It's far from perfect, but it does just enough things right to legitimize its place in the spotlight. From the looks of things, Tomb Mold won 2019 too. How will they fare in 2020? Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful.

Written on 08.08.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 157 users
08.08.2019 - 16:52
SatanicBlood
My theory on why Tomb Mold are getting a little more attention is that they are referencing the video games Dark Souls and Bloodborne within their lyrics. Tomb Mold itself is an item in Bloodborne.
End nerd rant.
They are decent, so they have that going for them as well.
08.08.2019 - 22:39
Batlord666
I've been listening to this album a lot since it came out. I liked Manor of Infinite Forms, but I wasn't blown away by it. This one, though, I think is absolutely fantastic. Far too short, though. A 38 minute album with about 7 minutes of interlude/noise isn't great. I would also agree about the vocals - a little monotonous, I really enjoyed it when he would layer in with a higher pitched growl.

That riff near the end of the title track, though - woo mama.
09.08.2019 - 11:41
Rating: 9
gavdann
Written by Batlord666 on 08.08.2019 at 22:39

I've been listening to this album a lot since it came out. I liked Manor of Infinite Forms, but I wasn't blown away by it. This one, though, I think is absolutely fantastic. Far too short, though. A 38 minute album with about 7 minutes of interlude/noise isn't great. I would also agree about the vocals - a little monotonous, I really enjoyed it when he would layer in with a higher pitched growl.

That riff near the end of the title track, though - woo mama.

I prefer the leave them wanting more approach on short albums. Some albums drag on for too long or are padded with filler.

This is a great album. I really like Manor but this is a quantum leap of a jump in quality.
09.08.2019 - 22:52
nikarg
staff
Good riffs, cool songwriting, I think these are the reasons why they are popular. Metal can be simple and enjoyable at the same time, you don't always have to reinvent the wheel.
10.08.2019 - 06:25
Rating: 9
Opethian
Great album. I do wish however that it could have been a bit lengthier.
10.08.2019 - 10:20
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Opethian on 10.08.2019 at 06:25

Great album. I do wish however that it could have been a bit lengthier.

One extra song wouldn't hurt
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.09.2020 - 14:52
Rating: 8
Jaro
Written by gavdann on 09.08.2019 at 11:41

I prefer the leave them wanting more approach on short albums. Some albums drag on for too long or are padded with filler.

I'm in the same camp, makes me want to play it again immediately

Hits total: 4668 | This month: 16