‹‹ Back to the Extreme metal forum Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12
Users visited: 190  
Search this topic:  

Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

07.06.2007 at 05:38
Today being June 6, 2007 marks the anniversary date of the Fantoft Church that was burnt down in 1992, of course by Varg Vikernes, and has been fifteen years since his actions.

I doubt there will be any arson's in honour or vain of that memoriable day that help set the flame within black metal, and I am surprised that nothing happen last year since it was a more appropriate version of 06-06-06. Yet, last Febuary on Vargs birthday someone in Ontario, Canada set fire to a church in his honour, of which I was very surprised.

I am not advocating people and go out today and burn down a church, but it has been such a big focal point of black metal that I thought it was worth mentioning today.
BreadGod
Captain Virgin

07.06.2007 at 05:42
And exactly why did you create a thread celebrating an arson?
----
Death Metal Bread
MAH BLAAGH
Quote:
Clearly your a virgin, go join captain virgin and the virginteers , the power is your lol
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

07.06.2007 at 07:54
Because it is an immense part of black metal history, and it is relative for those whom believe that direct action is an aid for the retilization and resurrection of one's ancestral roots.
BreadGod
Captain Virgin

08.06.2007 at 02:42
Written by Bitter Dawn on 07.06.2007 at 07:54

Because it is an immense part of black metal history, and it is relative for those whom believe that direct action is an aid for the retilization and resurrection of one's ancestral roots.

Arson is a crime. Creating a thread celebrating an act of arson is like creating a thread celebrating the murders committed by Dennis Rader. I don't care if it's a part of black metal history, I do not want to see other metalheads doing the same thing. It would shine a very bad light on the entire metal scene.
----
Death Metal Bread
MAH BLAAGH
Quote:
Clearly your a virgin, go join captain virgin and the virginteers , the power is your lol
Ernis
狼獾

08.06.2007 at 02:57
Being a Christian I think I should find celebrating an arson of a church dumb....well....let me think for a second...yeh, I do...I wouldn't celebrate such a thing....whether it's an important date in metal history or not....and well....burning a church isn't showing returning to innocence(roots/foundations etc)....I don't even know why I should celebrate nor pay attention to any date associated with a particular musician....for instance Varg....well....he isn't my idol....
About Fantoft church....I'm glad it's restored and I would like to visit it one day....old Norse stave churches are extremely beautiful....Christianity and ancient pagan/nature traditions bound together in a beautiful harmony....I guess perhaps Varg hated it....he couldn't stand the fact that paganism and Christianity could co-exist....well....Varg made a mistake....but that's his mistake.....
I wouldn't set any building on fire....who am I? Some kind of a terrorist? Some particular muslims burn churches....Varg also started a fashion.....these are rather terrorist actions and well....let's try to be better than that.....
----
Go ahead, make my day...
Doc Godin
Just a guy

08.06.2007 at 03:11
Yeah this celebrating arson stuff is stupid. First of all, not many metal musicians support the church burnings (except for a few black metal bands like Gorgoroth). Even Necrobutcher from Mayhem says it was an insult, so no arson was detrimental to anything but putting that psycho behind bars. Secondly, that church burning in Ontario was done by a couple stupid 15 year olds (from what I remember) who thought they were really f*cking metal, little idiots.

Just thought Id get my 2 cents in before this thread is locked.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
Sunioj

08.06.2007 at 13:15
I specifically remember Ihsahn saying that the churches had the burnings coming to them. Not agreeing or condemning but rather accepting it.

Celebrating a burnt church? Whats there to celebrate? Any retard can make a molotov cocktail, go to a church in the middle of the night and set the old fragile building ablaze. Its really an achievment . It doesnt matter who wronged who first, its just a matter worth forgetting...Obviously if you celebrate it, then you wouldnt have a problem burning a church down right?
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

08.06.2007 at 14:11
SUPPORT!!

06/06/92 NEVER FORGET

Good thread. In before the lock...
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
Clint W.

08.06.2007 at 19:42
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HU2Z7Q_FAyA

Wee! Gaahl's metal as shit and he supports it, I guess we all must too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
villain

09.06.2007 at 10:59
It was a symbolic gesture and it makes no sense in replicating it unless it a full fledged war (which i doubt).
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

10.06.2007 at 00:32
I am glad to see this thread was not locked down, and there is no reason why we can not discuss this topic upon a civil manner, even if it turns into a sort of debate we should be able to be respectable with our opinions.

I will say though, that never did I make this thread in celebration of the burnings, but rather I was acknowledging a monumental event in the history of black metal that helped define the common ideology within the genre. People hold anniversary or memorial days in rememberance of tragedies, as I do believe that last month there was a day to remember the Holocaust.

The matters of the church burnings are definitely a touchy and tricky subject to approach, and although I do think Varg is a bit over the top (primarily because his ideals and proclamations sway from one point to another), I do think there is some sort of value in his actions, but I am not sure yet if they were beneficial to the cause, or if they just caught the interest of other like-minded people which could make BM either better or worse.

Although I generally think arson is not the brightest idea, I do not think many people today behold the conviction to burn a church in the vain of their ideals, or for what they think is a greater good, at least not in the metal or BM culture. I also think that even Mayhem have become a bit soft in their later years, aside from the comment about them disagreeing with the church burnings, Hellhammer recently said something about wanting to just sell a bunch of albums - unfortunately I forget why he made that response, but it was a bit disappointing.

I think villain made a good point, and generally I do agree with that statement. However, I think that if the church burnings were persistant or increased that such a global act (assuming a large quantity of the BM "culture" participated) would indeed show an uprising against Christianity, because if there are people setting churches ablaze all over the world then there is a general concensus of a changing time in the modern world.It may or may not make a real differance, if nothing else it would show the Church (as it were) that things are differant now, and it would show that maybe there is a strong belief system in certain sects of BM, and again if nothing else then people of like minds could congregate with each other and unite, if for nothing more than their own personal expansion of spiritual paths - think of the church burnings as a lit torch to signal to others.
Yes, it is a bit extreme and romanticized, but some times a radical action is necassary to make even a small change.

I say this mostly for the sake of argument, as my personal standing point is a bit undertermined still.
Doc Godin
Just a guy

10.06.2007 at 01:10
@Scarrowed Muse
Be respectful with our opinions?! Im not christian or anything but people tend to take it to heart when a symbol of there faith is burned to the ground and then someone wants to make a memorial out of it in the name of the antagonist.

And another thing:
Quote:
helped define the common ideology within the genre

Last time I checked there was anti-christian lyrical content long before any church burnings happened. Heres my theory, and all you 'tr00' black metallers can deny it all you want, you wanna know what the church burnings were for? F*CKING MARKETTING! Do you really think the black metal album sales would be even half of what they are now if it wasnt for the church burnings? So yes it did help black metal, it helped black metal artists get money. I wouldnt be seeing little 14 year olds wearing Burzum tshirts if it wasnt for the church burnings.
Believe it or not Black Metal is incredibly marketted and fueled by attention grabbing tomfuckery like that.

So to sum it up: Church burnings=more money for BM, nothing to do with the actual music.
----
- George Carlin
BreadGod
Captain Virgin

10.06.2007 at 01:20
Written by Doc Godin on 10.06.2007 at 01:10

@Scarrowed Muse
Be respectful with our opinions?! Im not christian or anything but people tend to take it to heart when a symbol of there faith is burned to the ground and then someone wants to make a memorial out of it in the name of the antagonist.

And another thing:
Quote:

Last time I checked there was anti-christian lyrical content long before any church burnings happened. Heres my theory, and all you 'tr00' black metallers can deny it all you want, you wanna know what the church burnings were for? F*CKING MARKETTING! Do you really think the black metal album sales would be even half of what they are now if it wasnt for the church burnings? So yes it did help black metal, it helped black metal artists get money. I wouldnt be seeing little 14 year olds wearing Burzum tshirts if it wasnt for the church burnings.
Believe it or not Black Metal is incredibly marketted and fueled by attention grabbing tomfuckery like that.

So to sum it up: Church burnings=more money for BM, nothing to do with the actual music.

In fact, there was anti-Christian lyrical content long before black metal came into existence. Slayer and Venom, anyone? Black metal just borrowed from the lyrical content already being used by the extreme metal bands that were existing at the time. So nobody even start that burning a church defined a genre.
----
Death Metal Bread
MAH BLAAGH
Quote:
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

10.06.2007 at 01:29

@Scarrowed Muse

And another thing:
Quote:

In regards to your first response. Yes well that is a given but what I was talking about was that each person should be able to input their opinion into this thread and that people do not need to berate one another in an uncivilized manner, because obviously the church burnings were disrespectful, but it does not mean they could not be justified.

Sadly you're right about the publicity BM has gained through it's extreme actions, but it does not mean there are not people who are true in their beliefs, Mayhem was always about portraying the extreme to get noticed, that was Euronymous' whole intention.

Just because a band has anti-Christian lyrical content does mean anything, Slayer and Venom are just bands who choose a more abrasive form of content, they don't believe in shit. Tom Araya himself even said that the album name "God Hates Us All" was just a cool name, and he says God does not hate. Then again, we are talking about a band that ripped off Nazi symbols that is front by a man whom was born in Chile and covered with native tattoo's. Araya commented about the misconception of the band labeled as Satan worshipers, "Yeah, yeah I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions towards the band, but next to that just the fact that we're normal." If guitarist King writes a good song, Araya puts his beliefs aside, "I'm not one that's going to go, "This sucks because it's contrary to my beliefs." To me it's more like "this is really good stuff. You're going to piss people off with this."

In an interview, Araya believes that "...Christ came and taught us about love, about doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another." When asked if he believed in God, replied "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God." Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel."

They're almost as bad as the allegid "14 year old kids wearing Burzum t-shirts" because they do not even belief in what they present, and they are willing to portray themselves in a certain light that actually goes against their own personal belief system.
Ernis
狼獾

10.06.2007 at 03:10
Written by Clint W. on 08.06.2007 at 19:42

I hope this was irony and you didn't mean the supporting thing seriously because I would never support such a shitey attitude....even if I were not-Christian....I call negative attitude(whether started by Christians or not-Christians, atheists or satanists or wannabe paganists or whoever) bitching....and speaking about "hatred" towards Christianity.....nor about any hatred at all....is called bitching....and this is one of the most pointless things men can do...unfortunately they do it all the time....

@Scarrowed Muse

And another thing:
Quote:

Your post is perfect....it bears all the good qualities....and what you write is true....people do bitch all the time and people simply like to step on each other's sensitive points....if people would do as Jaysus really wanted....if people lived each one according to one's own way of life...respecting the others and not hurting anyone....then it'd be grand....however....people always long for hatred....if there isn't anything to hate...then people will find it for them...

A typical scenario....a 14 year old kid is bored and tired and wants to be special....maybe he or she has a schoolmate or some other peer who acts like that and so the teen imitates the other thinking that belonging to a group will give him privileges in life....so...no wonder if we have bunch of neo-paganists/emo/scene kids/whatever kids....who all chant "I hate Christians"....when they are questioned they either don't know what to say, start bitching or start speaking about religious wars....they actually miss the point of Christianity all in all which doesn't involve any violence nor negativities at all at all....

What can we do....every day we see new teens again flying the flags "I'm metaller, I hate Christians, Varg is awesome!"....these kids emerge every day.."like pineapples in the greenhouse" (Behemoth - from the novel of Bulgakov).....
----
Go ahead, make my day...
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

10.06.2007 at 04:40
^ I agree with Frodo in regards to C-Dub being so naive. People should not just go along with things because a figure they idolize says that they support a certain action, be it criminal or not. A person should do something because they themself believe it is a necassary action , and now that I think of it, Gaahl has even stated himself in the True Norwegian Black Metal documentary that he does not want a bunch of "sheep" following him, but rather he wants his lyrics for example to inspire people to make their own choice, otherwise he would be just like Christianity in a sense - preaching others to follow his ideals.

Aside from that. There is a distinguishable differance between the general animosity towards Christianity and those whom strive for the revitalization of their ancestral roots and heritage, which includes the old spiritualities, such as what Ásatrú is aiming to do.
villain

10.06.2007 at 09:45
The arsons were a mix of different things - Historical events(the brutality of Christians against the Pagans in the 10-11th Century), revivalism(of Asatru,Viking spirit), teenage rebellion, trend (of Satanism, esp. in music).

See the point is that Whoever says "God is Dead" is not a Nietzsche clone; whoever says "E=MC^2 is not an Einstein clone ;whoever plays BM and doesn't think too well of Christianity is not a Varg clone (not trying to compare between the three).
These people created/helped certain ideas which have influenced and helped create-destroy certain ideas etc. I am not making a value judgement on any of these individuals. SHeep are those who inherently follow the herd without thinking.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
Sunioj

10.06.2007 at 12:17
I hate it when people when use pagan persecution as an excuse for the burnings. first there is no honor in burning a fragile building, its not an accomplishment. Plus if they still hold their ideas true, like people like gaahl that support the burning and even claims there will be more in the future, I would tell them to put their money where their mouth is. Its a cowardly act. And I would call them a bunch of pussies for not practicing what they preach after those guys got arrested and jailed. Hence, the imagry and the superficial tomfuckery as Dr. Rock said is the meaning behind church burnings.
Hyvaarin

10.06.2007 at 13:36
I haven't thought this opinion through at all, so I'll probably take this all back before long, but I kinda think the arsons can be at least partially blamed for the "death" of the original BM spirit. Completely shifted the focus from the music to the surrounding controversy. Way to go, Varg .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
Ernis
狼獾

10.06.2007 at 14:02
Written by Sunioj on 10.06.2007 at 12:17

I hate it when people when use pagan persecution as an excuse for the burnings. first there is no honor in burning a fragile building, its not an accomplishment. Plus if they still hold their ideas true, like people like gaahl that support the burning and even claims there will be more in the future, I would tell them to put their money where their mouth is. Its a cowardly act. And I would call them a bunch of pussies for not practicing what they preach after those guys got arrested and jailed. Hence, the imagry and the superficial tomfuckery as Dr. Rock said is the meaning behind church burnings.

I was very interested in the subject so I took a book of Scandinavian history from library and I read the "conversion to Christianity" part....religion didn't actually involve the will of an average person at all....religion was sort of a bargain between warlords themselves...different viking chiefs ruled the lands...each one his own territory...they were powerful and they could plunder whichever location they wanted....without any doubt, monasteries and Western European towns and settlements...there were some missionaries...but these were just some monks....if a viking was really interested in the idea of Christianity as a religion, he did listen to the monks...otherwise they didn't have very much influence...contracts between viking chieftains and Western/Southern European powerful people included religion as well but in a trade/business/politics meaning....if a viking warlord found it useful to present himself and his domain as Christian, he did so and manipulated with the others....there were many chieftains like that who claimed to be Christian to get the additional support of the rest of the Europe in order to claim a larger power not just in European coasts but also within Scandinavia....
Those who gained eventually the largest power, happened to be Christian...which doesn't mean they were Christian...they might have been just ordinary violent pagan viking lords who just had the religion part in their business plans....
Eventually...to put it in a nutshell...the conversion of Scandinavian area had two stages...the first included missionaries...who actually didn't do anything officially....those who were interested, became Christians...more or less...
The second stage was the violent conversion not by "Christian bastards" but by the viking chieftains themselves in order to gain political power and in order to rise higher among the rivals....eventually this caused the birth of the Scandinavian main realms, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland....for example Iceland's lords became officially Christian because they wanted to be as strong and powerful as Norway....Icelandic lords were aware that they need to be prepared in case the lord of Norway, Olav Tryggvason comes to bug them....

About Gaahl....perhaps he gave a hint by saying that "There will be more"....perhaps he gave a hint that there'll indeed be more brainless teens who wish to imitate Varg......
----
Go ahead, make my day...
Sunioj

10.06.2007 at 14:16
I dont deny that Christianity was used for political gain, but then again I dont really know too much about how christianity spread in Europe. I mainly know the Catholic churchs past rule and atrocities they made. Nevertheless, you dont honor you ancestors who were persecuted, converted, whatever to sink to a level were you burn a helpless object. That sinks you to the same level as the persecutor IMO.
Ernis
狼獾

10.06.2007 at 16:23
Written by Sunioj on 10.06.2007 at 14:16

I dont deny that Christianity was used for political gain, but then again I dont really know too much about how christianity spread in Europe. I mainly know the Catholic churchs past rule and atrocities they made. Nevertheless, you dont honor you ancestors who were persecuted, converted, whatever to sink to a level were you burn a helpless object. That sinks you to the same level as the persecutor IMO.

That's right....lowering yourself to the level(or why not...even more downwards)of the one that you think hurt you makes things a lot worse...
About the Catholic church...of course...for example Spanish inquisition...in fact it started because the church lords and those who had the money and power were shaken because Luther and other crazy sects were gaining their fortune and some of them even one's own sick fantasies....so the Spanish rulers organized something more awful to confront it....unfortunately people suffered because of this....innocent people....it was similar to Stalinist dictature in USSR...if a greedy neighbour wanted to have your house, he simply told the officials that you're against the official power....and had you arrested....
One thing I know for example....Catholic church...not as an institution but as a religion(two separate things) supported more or less the native cultures....saints and angels often equaled the ancient spirits and deities....
However....protestant sects(lutheran, puritan, calvinist etc) denounced all of it...they were strictly against all native and pagan influences and even stated that catholic church is half pagan in its essence with all its saints, spirits and mystery plays....for example in Estonia...during the catholic era witches were rather approved in society....but when the protestantism arrived, large witch hunts started and everything that was not "decent" and simple was immediately persecuted....in this time books were written about "How to recognize a witch"....
----
Go ahead, make my day...
rageing atheist
Account deleted
  10.06.2007 at 17:45
I find it plain stupid and ignorant to say that Vikernes burned churches for promoting black metal, before criticizing his deeds we should try to put ourselves to his position and try to at least understand what he might have been feeling/thinking. I think that probably he had a lot of negative emotions and he needed a way to release them, or express them, and while I don't neccesarily approve his actions I don't condemn them either without trying to understand him. Sure, there are better ways to handle one's emotions than burning churches, but people make mistakes, so what? I mean a church is only a bulilding like any other and it shouldn't really be relevant to one's religion, even Jesus says in the Bible that hypocrites pray in public (synagogs) but true believers should pray in solitude of their chambers or something like that. Anyway I find that when people always criticize something it changes my attitude more sympathetic towards their object of critique , and I tend to try to justify and defend the objects of critique so maybe if people in the metalscene wouldn't try to explain the stupidity of churchburnings so often, I would have a totally different opinion on the subject matter, I know that's not very independent of me but this kind of sympathy towards the objects of common condemnation is just a part of my nature and it has nothing to do with trying to be leftfield or whatever.
Kaamos
Account deleted
  10.06.2007 at 17:58

Heres my theory, and all you 'tr00' black metallers can deny it all you want, you wanna know what the church burnings were for? F*CKING MARKETTING! Do you really think the black metal album sales would be even half of what they are now if it wasnt for the church burnings? So yes it did help black metal, it helped black metal artists get money. I wouldnt be seeing little 14 year olds wearing Burzum tshirts if it wasnt for the church burnings.

In no way denying the effects, Varg must had been pretty desperate for money then. Risk imprisonment for selling a few albums more? Right.
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath

10.06.2007 at 18:22
Why dont you just talk about Varg's actions on his church burning in the Burzum thread?

Probably only reason it hasnt been locked already is because nobody has reported or a staff member hasnt come across the thread yet.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
Hyvaarin

10.06.2007 at 19:47
I think *locking* this thread would be a bit unnecessary...[/off-topic]
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath

10.06.2007 at 19:52
Maybe not. But having this in the 'Extreme Metal' forum isnt exactly the place to have this topic since its not music.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
Clint W.

10.06.2007 at 20:34
Written by Ernis on 10.06.2007 at 03:10

Written by Clint W. on 08.06.2007 at 19:42

I hope this was irony and you didn't mean the supporting thing seriously because I would never support such a shitey attitude....even if I were not-Christian....I call negative attitude(whether started by Christians or not-Christians, atheists or satanists or wannabe paganists or whoever) bitching....and speaking about "hatred" towards Christianity.....nor about any hatred at all....is called bitching....and this is one of the most pointless things men can do...unfortunately they do it all the time....

Written by Bitter Dawn on 10.06.2007 at 04:40

^ I agree with Frodo in regards to C-Dub being so naive. People should not just go along with things because a figure they idolize says that they support a certain action, be it criminal or not. A person should do something because they themself believe it is a necassary action , and now that I think of it, Gaahl has even stated himself in the True Norwegian Black Metal documentary that he does not want a bunch of "sheep" following him, but rather he wants his lyrics for example to inspire people to make their own choice, otherwise he would be just like Christianity in a sense - preaching others to follow his ideals.

Aside from that. There is a distinguishable differance between the general animosity towards Christianity and those whom strive for the revitalization of their ancestral roots and heritage, which includes the old spiritualities, such as what Ásatrú is aiming to do.

I guess you guys didn't catch my sarcasm. It was more or less a joke. I'll be sure to make that more clear next time.
----
The force will be with you, always.
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath

10.06.2007 at 20:57
Written by Clint W. on 10.06.2007 at 20:34

I guess you guys didn't catch my sarcasm. It was more or less a joke. I'll be sure to make that more clear next time.

They missed it? Bwahaha, might need to talk slower next time.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
Doc Godin
Just a guy

10.06.2007 at 22:37
Written by Guest on 10.06.2007 at 17:58

Heres my theory, and all you 'tr00' black metallers can deny it all you want, you wanna know what the church burnings were for? F*CKING MARKETTING! Do you really think the black metal album sales would be even half of what they are now if it wasnt for the church burnings? So yes it did help black metal, it helped black metal artists get money. I wouldnt be seeing little 14 year olds wearing Burzum tshirts if it wasnt for the church burnings.

In no way denying the effects, Varg must had been pretty desperate for money then. Risk imprisonment for selling a few albums more? Right.

Ok, Varg was insane and had a general hate for christianity fine. but it was then turned into pretty much a big marketting gimmick.
----
- George Carlin

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12

Login or register to post here.