Metal Storm logo
Best amp for extreme metal

Original post

Posted by KMR, 08.06.2007 - 02:28
What is your opinion guys? I think the best are Peavey Triple XXX or Engl Fireball, less Peavey 5150, Triple amp give the satysfying sound I need, it's best solution for full, metal sound. This amp fits well for my needs, it really fits for this music.
20.06.2007 - 19:54
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
negative actually... the + has more gain... because of an additional preamp tube dedicated to the gain itself... i did my research on all this with peavey themselves. as i said, i dont defend it cuz i own it, i own it because i believe in it... feel me knockin? it may not be the best amp in the market, but its definitely better than most for the kind of music i play, and i believe some people may consider it an underachiever if they havent played one properly set up/dialed in.
21.06.2007 - 02:08
WarriorOfMetal
the extra preamp tube is actually dedicated to the clean channel, and the II/+ *DOES* have a good bit less gain than the original. check with Voodoo Amps, check with FJA Mods, check with any competent tech/builder/modder who's familiar with the 5150s. I'm not saying you're defending it because you own it, i never said that once ever, i don't know why you keep bringing it up. but it *is* different from the original, and it *does* have less gain.
21.06.2007 - 02:29
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
thats a topic i refuse to argue man... hit up the website, and call peavey customer service... i talked to them myself again today, and inquired about the difference between the 6505, and the 6505+ as well as the difference between the 5150 and the 6505... no difference in any of them... with the exception that the "over saturation point" on the 6505+ is higher... which means you can crank MORE gain out of it in the pregain control than you can on the original 6505 before the threshold is reached for where gain stops and over saturation begins... the tech said the 6505 starts at around 8, and the plus starts at almost 9... his words exactly were "the + is definitely the more superior unit"... your right about the added preamp tube being for the clean section though.. but the 6505 original has high and low gain inputs because of its lack of versatility... the circuitry on the + has more dedicated preamp power to distortion on the lead side than the rhythm side because its tubes arent multi use like that of its brother... plain and simple, the + was designed to be more versatile, and more powerful than the original... maybe the one you tried out was modded... but from the men who build the amps, my assumption was confirmed as to which of the two was designed for higher output... and as i said, the + has a higher threshold of gain before turning into waste than the 6505 original does...
21.06.2007 - 02:47
WarriorOfMetal
from what you said there, it sounds like you misinterpreted what was said. what that says to me is that the 5150 original with the gain at 8 has as much gain as the 5150II w/ the gain at 9....meaning that the original has more gain available. i'm aware that there is no difference between the 6505 and 5150 and no difference between the 6505+ and 5150II, but the 6505 and 6505+ ARE different in sound and gain levels, as are the 5150 and 5150II (in, obviously, exactly the same ways).

i've played 5150s stock and modded, and that's not what i'm talking about at all.
21.06.2007 - 03:08
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
no what he meant was, that the 6505+ can crank out more gain before dumping off into uselessness than the 6505 can... not that they sound the same, but that the 6505+ has more to dish out before losing preamp power swell... for example, 2 amps of the same power rating, set up somewhat equally, can have different characteristics in how the volume can pan out... one amp may only be able to go up to vol 7 before it loses any more "mass" in its volume and just turnes into clipping/feedback/total garbage sound... now, the other amp... will have the same volume at 7, but it might be able to go up to 8... 9... or even 9.5 before it loses its ability to produce extra dB of volume... not that one amp has to go to 9 to do what another can do at 7... but that one amp can go above and beyond another amps capacity... to be quite honest, i wish that were the case though (what you are stating) because then both amps can be equal in ability, but the 6505+ would still have more versatility... fine tuning of the preamp gain would be a good thing to have comparing the two, but that isnt the case... the tech told me the circuitry of the + allows for more signal distortion than that of the 6505. he also said sometimes the voicing between amps can be different, he said there was a guy that shipped his 2 JSX amps in to him with the problem of 1 amp having to be set a little differently between the 2 EQs in order to achieve the same sound between both amps. he was a performer who needed 2 rigs on stage to sound the same. he said the difference was minimal, but he was wondering if it was an issue with one of the amps. the tech said in the end, they were both fine, just one had different voicing... and that it may have been a product of different batches of amps. so its very possible the one you tried was voiced different, or maybe even hot rodded.. but i tried both out myself at the store, and the reason i paid the extra $100 for mine (and the only reason) was the ability to control both sides of the EQ separately... when i play my cleans i like them to have 5 - 7 on the low, 4 - 5 on the mid... and 3 - 7 on the highs (depending on the sound im going for) with presence usually at 5 and resonance cranked up. my lead channel i usually keep at 5 - 7 low, 0 - 2.5 mid, and 6 - 8 high with resonance set at 5 - 7 and presence at 8.5 - 9.5. footswitching between them requires the two channels... but there was no difference in the gain characteristics... i usually keep my pregain on the clean/rhythm channel at 1 - 3 (unless im using the crunch portion) and on my lead channel, depending on the volume, 5 - 7.
11.04.2008 - 22:24
-Soulreaper-
Ive had the 6505+ for a few months now and it is just wonderful. I needed a replacement for my 5150. I researched alot of other amps before getting the 6505+ and the only other one I was thinking about was the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectafier. It gives me that nice heavy sound I need for playing black or death metal.
12.04.2008 - 01:39
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I personally like the amps that Line 6 puts out, although I could really care less about all of the presets they include.
12.04.2008 - 23:46
doomina
Account deleted
Written by KMR on 08.06.2007 at 02:28

What is your opinion guys? I think the best are Peavey Triple XXX or Engl Fireball, less Peavey 5150, Triple amp give the satysfying sound I need, it's best solution for full, metal sound. This amp fits well for my needs, it really fits for this music.

well ... hard to say.
if i play drone or stonersludge i prefer my hiwatt super lead, for my postmetal stuff i'm using my marshall jcm800. and the time i played in a metalcore-band i used my marshall dbs bass amp.
and the only thing that matters is that YOU like the sound.