08. Ismo's Got Good Reactors
09. Demon's Cage
10. A Little Less Understanding
11. The Raven Still Flies
12. The Garden

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
If you have already looked at the score of this review, it's probably clear that I have some issues with the latest Sonata Arctica record.

Read more ››
published 15.11.2019 | Comments (9)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 497 users
06.09.2019 - 17:05
Rating: 6
Crème fraiche

Only half-way through so far, but at least it's actually listenable. Not totally cringy. We will see how it holds up after repeat listens.
06.09.2019 - 17:18
tiny dog ghosts

I don't know if it's the production or just the writing but everything here is just so wildly forgettable, nothing goes anywhere. I don't really know what the solution is, maybe they need to go on a break or work on some side projects or something. It's, just not there anymore, even the mediocre stuff on Unia/Days Of Grays is far and away better than anything on here
06.09.2019 - 23:34
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
I think this is the first Sonata Arctica album that truly let me down. I don't mind their more recent sound and all the albums so far had some memorable tracks despite having others quite bland. Here almost nothing got my attention so far, but I'll give a few more spins before I rate it.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
07.09.2019 - 05:12
Rating: 5
Harmaajoki

Is this... Christmas songs compilation?
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
07.09.2019 - 09:16
Itoc
Trønder
I remember I didn't like Days Of Grays but ended up really loving it - maybe a mixture of circumstances and repeated listens. This seems like a harder ver. of that. Anyone get that vibe?
07.09.2019 - 12:54
TimdeKW

I've had that experience with each of their albums since Stones Grow Her Name. At first I'm not sure what to Think, but over time I've grown to love all their albums. Some more than others and especially the last couple of albums have a few pretty cheesy songs on them, but still. I'm even singing along to songs like 'A Shitload of Money' nowadays.
As for Talviyö, I agree there aren't really any songs that stick with you. It sounds very happy go Lucky, but also a bit bland. If that's possible at all.
I'm listening to it for the fifth time right now and I'm feeling entertained but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to love this album as much as any of their precious work.
07.09.2019 - 13:51
Rating: 8
Mountain King
K i K o
What is this band doing? I understand that Tony doesn't want to make power metal but what's the point of making horrible pop rock - hard rock (whatever they are trying to do)? Seriously I started playing this album with no judgement and with willingness to give a new SA album another fair shot but the truth is that the songs are horrible, not memorable and just overall weak. Even Tony is not doing anything special with his voice. "Ismo's Got Good Reactors" has some nice melodies and surprisingly it's the only track I can maybe repeat and has no vocals. SA will keep on losing fans. If I compare this to the latest Hammerfall, then Hammerfall is doing a better job by far even if their albums sound more or less the same.
07.09.2019 - 14:22
IcePickLodger

So far so bad...will give it another try, but it barely seems to grow on me
07.09.2019 - 15:15
Byners

I can certainly enjoy these songs... But it would probably be better for everyone if they end with Sonata Arctica and started something new. These songs are not what Sonata Arctica fans are expecting.
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
07.09.2019 - 16:13
Rating: 7
Ne[]N

Hate it when people just focus on themselves. "Me. Me, me, me. I, I. I'm so fucking important." Basically, all they are saying is: "Make the music, I like".
What all "fans" want in such cases is called "stagnation".
The band made the music, they wanted to make. I can respect that. At least they had guts to try something new and to pursue their own vision, despite knowing this would be the result.

The Hammerfall were mentioned above. It's funny, since they once tried something different with their "Infected" album. And they were forced to get back to their older style after backlash from the so called fans.
I stopped listening to their "new" music after their next album, because I could feel the band were forcing themselves to play the music, the fans wanted from them. Their latest music just doesn't have the soul to it any more. I also don't feel the band enjoying what they make.
If I had to pick between that and what SA decided to do - I'll be on Sonata's side.

Regarding the album itself: it were an ok album for me. I were able to enjoy it to some extent. Will listen to it again, when in the right mood.
07.09.2019 - 18:55
JoHn Doe

Not bad, decent effort, uneven. The vocals have got worse, there used to be an enthusiasm in the vocals on earlier albums that I do not see present on this album.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.09.2019 - 05:16
Rating: 9
rps

When the 2 singles first were on YouTube, I was a little disappointed. However after hearing all the tracks in context, I am very pleased to see the consistency of SA music. The same line-up since Unia, except the bass since PC, this does not disappoint. The rhythm and melodies, and hard riffing is all there, as well as most eloquent vocals. Tony explains that the mix was done to get a live feel. The production, he emphasizes is intentional. I like it. Look forward to seeing them next month with Kamelot at the San Francisco Palace of Fine Arts. Cheers Sonata Arctica!
08.09.2019 - 05:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's hilarious reading the responses to this album and Mgła's latest. Metalheads are nothing if not consistently contradictory.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.09.2019 - 18:59
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Ne[]N on 07.09.2019 at 16:13

The Hammerfall were mentioned above. It's funny, since they once tried something different with their "Infected" album. And they were forced to get back to their older style after backlash from the so called fans.
I stopped listening to their "new" music after their next album, because I could feel the band were forcing themselves to play the music, the fans wanted from them. Their latest music just doesn't have the soul to it any more. I also don't feel the band enjoying what they make.
If I had to pick between that and what SA decided to do - I'll be on Sonata's side.

Regarding the album itself: it were an ok album for me. I were able to enjoy it to some extent. Will listen to it again, when in the right mood.

I enjoyed infected and think it's a solid album even though it's different. Just for the sake of comparison, I enjoy Helloween's Chameleon. I am not hooked on double bass power metal, it's just that for me the last 5 SA albums were horrible, each to a certain extent, and this one is the worst so far.
08.09.2019 - 23:38
Ne[]N

Written by Mountain King on 08.09.2019 at 18:59

I enjoyed infected and think it's a solid album even though it's different.

Same here. Actually, as I mentioned above, it were the last Hammerfall album, I enjoyed. (r)Evollution were the beginning of the end for me. The whole album sounded hollow and forced to me. After that I only listened to their new singles, which gave me the same vibe. And I really loved Hammerfall music prior to all that.

Written by Mountain King on 08.09.2019 at 18:59

I am not hooked on double bass power metal, it's just that for me the last 5 SA albums were horrible, each to a certain extent, and this one is the worst so far.

Don't get me wrong, to each their own. I don't judge yours (or anyone else's) opinion about the album. I'm just annoyed about people being judgemental of bands decisions (and I'm not talking about SA only here). In my opinion, they should be free to decide what they play. And we are to decide if we want to listen to a music like that or not.
I'd rather part with the band because of taste differences, than because of band becoming a parody of themselves.
09.09.2019 - 00:30
Kais

Written by Grouch Douglas on 08.09.2019 at 21:56

I guess I'm one of the few who really likes this album. I think it's definitely better than the last two.

Certainly better than anything released post-The Days Of Greys... I'm still unsure how to rate this one just yet.
09.09.2019 - 00:39
Itoc
Trønder
OK... OK... OK... I think I get it.... I say I think.

So, I've given two solid listens. And like most of you - a little putt off by the underwhelming guitars and old school Sonata PUNCH and the fact that every song feels like a part of one giant song. I struggle to separate several songs. The tempo is maybe a bit more samey through all of the songs. Unia and Days Of Grays had clear slow songs and at least one old school fast. This album however, they're all slow sinkers - meaning the "appreciation" takes time. It's like a Dream Theater album on melted cheese.

BUT it grows, there's a lot more rocky/acoustic vibes. The days of grays have truly hit our fellow Sonatas, they have grown - almost out of the whole "metal" persona into proggy kumbaya.

In the end I also had the same feelings when I heard Unia and Stones Grow. It's like too different, for me Sonata is very moody, and I'll get into just because my brain in the same state as one of the albums.

First listen 5/10, second 6.5 - 7/10.
09.09.2019 - 02:02
Rating: 4
mikeprado30

Disappointing, REALLY disappointing. And as a Power Metal listener that loved everything post-Unia, is so sad.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
09.09.2019 - 03:03
Metren
Dreadrealm
My word that's a low average rating... could this be so bad it's good/funny? I might just check this album out.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
09.09.2019 - 19:40
Ellinor

Yet another disappointing album but at least it has Ismo's which is probably the best SA song in the last decade.
09.09.2019 - 22:43
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Huge Sonata Arctica fan here - my favorite band of all time. I've enjoyed their entire discography, both old and new.

However, this one sort of let me down, In my opinion, it's their second-to-worst album (their worst being Ecliptica IMO... yes, I know everyone loves it, but to me it just sounds like generic, annoying power metal).

I get that they were going for a "live" sound with the production - but it still sounds terrible. Tony's voice is buried and just does not sound very crisp on several songs - but it's especially noticeable on the chorus of "Who Failed the Most" - a song that would be great if it weren't ruined by muddy production.

There are some definite highlights here, such as Whirlwind, Cold, and The Raven Still Flies with You. But unfortunately, I find myself skipping songs on this album way more than what I'm accustomed to with Sonata Arctica. Still an overall good album - I'd score it a 7.5 if I could. But by Sonata's standards, this one is a bit of a miss for me.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
10.09.2019 - 00:57
BlankFile

Making a retrospective of Sonata Arctica´s journey from 1999 to 2019 (im a fan since I was 17 years old, around 2001 or 2002), I think they´ve added something really new and fresh to the genre back in the day, with the first 4 spectacular álbums in a 5 year time span. "Ecliptica" and "Silence" took everyone by storm, "Winterheart´s Guild" followed that line, not in the same way, but still mesmerizing and "Reckoning Night" introduced a more heavy version of Sonata (with the NuclearBlast factor), but still respecting the band´s roots in a really awsome way, with lots of memorable tracks aswell. Then came 2007... and everything changed.

"Unia" was released (still recorded with Jani Liimatainen on guitars before he left the band shortly after) with Sonata presenting the fans with a different style, more progressive and mid tempo, with some heavy and confusing songs, others not so much... which divided the band´s fanbase. They remained loyal within that new genre for the following CD "The Days of Grays" which had a darker tone in to it and felt more complete and made more sense in general, but the band´s fanbase was more divided than ever. Then in 2012 they´ve launched, which is considered by most people (including me), the worst Sonata Arctica CD "Stones Grow Her Name". A more "Popish" and generally uninspired CD that made the band rethink their fórmula and so they did...

"Pariah´s Child" was released in 2014, with the band´s promise to return to their old roots, even changing their logo again to the original one. The álbum was clearly better than "Stones", faster and closer to their roots, but still far away from the quality of their early álbums, lacking more guitar solos and fast melodic parts (something the band lost greatly since the absence of Jani Liimatainen). In the same year, the band launched a re-recording of their iconic debut álbum "Ecliptica", something I never understood at all. That was lame for sure. Then came "The Ninth Hour" in 2016, a follow up in the same vibe of "Pariah´s", maybe with a bit more variety and cooler choruses, but still not on the same level as their early work, not at all. And then, 20 years after "Ecliptica" was born, came "Talvyio".

Sonata Arctica tenth stúdio álbum, with awsome cover art reminding me of the old days and with some very interesting moments musically. For me, this is the most interesting one of the three álbuns, since the band´s promise of returning to their old roots. Still, not on the level of their early opuses, off course not, but undeserving of such harsh criticism i´ve been reading here and there. In some parts, it reminds me of the boldness of "Silence...", but as I said, far from the quality and consistency of those days. A song by song analisys imo:

- "Message from the Sun": A little cheesy for a starter, but i kind off like the rythm and the chorus.
- "Whirlwind": Fast and catchy song, with great chorus and nice acoustic parts aswell. One of my favourites.
- "Cold": It´s a very cool single, it sticks in your brain. I like it´s harshness and heaviness.
- "Storm the Armada": Interesting mid tempo song, with some awsome keyboard parts.
- "The Last of the Lambs" A slower tempo song, kind of an intro to the next one. A bit bland, but listenable.
- "Who Failed the Most" One of the most catchiest songs of the álbum. Really nice Hard Rock feel into it.
- "You Won'T Fall" The Japanease bonuses never dissapoint. Almost always fast tempo and Sonata early days driven. Fucken Japanease...
- "Ismo´s Got Good Reactors" The most surprising song of the álbum for me. Instrumental, melodic, fast. Reminding me a little bit of Silence´s... "Revontulet".
- "A Litle Less Understanding" Not the best song of the álbum and a bit cheesy in parts, but the chorus is really catchy, and i also like the guitar solo (something lacking too much on a recent Sonata álbum, again...)
- "The Demon´s Gate" Best song of the álbum, hands down.
- "The Raven Still Flies" The longest song of the record. It has it´s good moments, but lacks a little bit consistency. It´s a good song, but not a memorable one.
- "The Garden" The balad of the álbum. Not as good as some memorable balads Sonata Arctica launched over the years, not at all. I found it way boring...

Sorry for the long post, but this band still has a special place in my heart.

Stay Metal! Always...
11.09.2019 - 19:08
SebaRaven36

It is not a bad album but obviously its sound quality is low.
12.09.2019 - 03:22
Nick Carter

I miss you guys, I really do.
*Cries and eats ice cream all night long*
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
13.09.2019 - 00:42
CWA

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.09.2019 at 05:42

It's hilarious reading the responses to this album and Mgła's latest. Metalheads are nothing if not consistently contradictory.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but what is the contradiction you are referring to?
13.09.2019 - 06:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by CWA on 13.09.2019 at 00:42
Not that I'm disagreeing, but what is the contradiction you are referring to?

Just how people bash bands for changing direction just as they bash others for remaining the same. It's an irony I notice is particularly strong in the metal community, though not restricted to it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.09.2019 - 17:25
farfaramir

The problem is not new direction or remaining the same. If you are going to change direction, do it in an interesting way. I don't want Tony doing Power Metal again, I want him doing some fun and interesting stuff. I really enjoyed the Ninth Hour... but this?

This is just terrible. And I've enjoyed almost every Sonata Arctica album at this point, and I have tried for the last days try to find something to enjoy in this. The Raven still flies is fine, I guess? And that's it.
15.09.2019 - 19:59
Kais

I'm going to be the black sheep amongst many.
This album IS, hands down, better than anything released by these guys post The Days Of Grays.

To sum up: this album is the mature, grown-up version of the same Sonata Arctica everyone here remembers.
The album is filled with catchy melodies, everyone shines in his own turn - and it seems the band like what they do - which is noticeable and a positive. Tony's mannerisms are everywhere, which is, ultimately, the core of Sonata Arctica, and I completely disagree with this album being "boring". Yes, this isn't power metal (take away the first two tracks), but rather one of the finest ways to create melodic rock. The lyrics are touching as always.

The only con I could've thought of is indeed the poor production, which is an illness in the latest albums released by the band. Try listening and/or watching the guys live - the songs there sound way better.

To conclude, if it weren't for the poor production and the uncharactaristic "muddiness" of the mastering, this album wouldn't shy off one of the top 5 albums by Sonata, and I would even dare calling it their so-to-speak "comeback" album.
19.09.2019 - 13:12
aeonnumb

Apart from the first 2 songs the rest is from meh to bad.. And this guitar tone... super muddy and awful like all albums with Elias in.
15.10.2019 - 23:11
zdenoeddie

I just think, that Last Drop Falls. I know, I am Black Sheep, but there no Land of the Free anymore. I Respect the Wilderness, but Wolf & Raven Sing in Silence. Little bit Shy, but still believe in The Power of One. Amen.
----
Up the Irons!!!
http://www.last.fm/user/zdenoeddie

Hits total: 11270 | This month: 31