03. Still I Rise
04. Dis Manibvs
05. Pantheon Spells
06. Vae Victis
07. Volcano
08. Somnia
09. Pure Nocturnal Rome
10. Seikilos

Doing less with more may not seem like a compliment, but then again Imperium Dekadenz have a way of utilizing excess space in their favor.

Dis Manibvs wasn't some overly ambitious atmospheric black metal masterpiece that would re-invigorate the genre with its newfound groundbreaking innovations, but it did have a job to do, and a job it did. Horaz and Vespasian were coming off a comparative let-down in Meadows Of Nostalgia, a trying three years after their landmark release, Procella Vadens. That same amount of time was spent creating this attempted return to form, and while it objectively ticked just about every box you could hope for as a fan of the band, it still lacked a not-so-obvious something that made their definitive album, well, definitive.

With its upbeat-in-tempo but downbeat-in-mood style typical of the so-called "blackgaze" movement already declining in popularity at the time despite its infancy -- a flashy trend in the metal scene if there ever was one -- this album seemed tailor-made for the hipster black metal crowd while retaining barely enough of the genre's original trademark sound to entice the self-proclaimed true crusaders. In its apparent hubris, Dis Manibvs was a marketing failure in that it focused too much on its black metal roots as opposed to branching out into the more melodic metal and entirely non-metal demographics for criticism (or praise).

This is still an entirely "metal" album, as it were, but it's one that has a better chance in circles not hung up on which sub-genre it belongs to. Play it before a friend who typically listens to emotionally charged, atmospheric music regardless of genre, and they will undoubtedly find something in this release that appeals to them. The harsh vocals aren't abnormally brutal and the blastbeats are so softened in the mix that they may as well be deemed radio-friendly. The sorrowful melodies and blanketed dissonance will appeal to anyone with ears -- almost pop-like in its mainstream marketability. Moments of grandeur strike when least expected, but overall it's an incredibly expected album. It does little to challenge the norms established by the genre's predecessors, following the formulaic dominoes since Procella Vadens, yet it deviates ever so slightly in its interludes and underlying aggression.

Imperium Dekadenz have grown softer as an outfit over the years, perhaps in an attempt to garner more widespread attention, or simply because their influences or ambitions have changed, but the consistency in their atmospheric emotionally driven music still garners worthwhile attention from both black metal aficionados and casual metal fans alike. Dis Manibvs is as unremarkable as it is exactly what it's supposed to be.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 29.09.2019 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 12 users
29.09.2019 - 11:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its not any gaze to me as non of this bands music, all those gaze are to soft sound, not metal or trOO metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2019 - 11:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:13
Its not any gaze to me as non of this bands music, all those gaze are to soft sound, not metal or trOO metal

I don't think I implied it was a strictly "blackgaze" album but I suppose I understand your confusion. I meant to compare its more accessible and ethereal style to the likes of that style is all.

That said, if you think this sounds "true," I'm not really sure what to say. It's incredibly light and fluffy compared to the harsher and primitive sounds of what most people consider to be true black metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2019 - 11:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.09.2019 at 11:23

Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:13

I don't think I implied it was a strictly "blackgaze" album but I suppose I understand your confusion. I meant to compare its more accessible and ethereal style to the likes of that style is all.

That said, if you think this sounds "true," I'm not really sure what to say. It's incredibly light and fluffy compared to the harsher and primitive sounds of what most people consider to be true black metal.

Blackgaze to me all those gaze bands sounds like alcest, deafheaven and so, each album is softer in sound, compare old Borknagar and new Borkanar(witch is great btw)

TrOO and true is mot same :p

I just say this band is closer to BM not only in music, but around metal, viev, believes, visuals and so on.
----

apos;'
[image]
29.09.2019 - 11:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:26
Blackgaze to me all those gaze bands sounds like alcest, deafheaven and so, each album is softer in sound, compare old Borknagar and new Borkanar(witch is great btw)

TrOO and true is mot same :p

I just say this band is closer to BM not only in music, but around metal, viev, believes, visuals and so on.

You'd think after like 15 years you'd learn to type properly but whatever

I didn't say this is a blackgaze album, I said it's similar in how it sounds. It comes across a lot closer to the likes of Alcest, for instance, as opposed to early Darkthrone, which is what I pointed out in the review.

I don't know what you mean by troo vs true as all derivations of that word when it comes to metal are only comedic to me. I swear it's a metalhead-centric problem debating what's a "real" release as opposed to a "poser" release.

As for visuals and all that, I don't really care. Immortal have written some of the most iconic black metal music inspired by their imaginations of fictitious lands, yet they make a mockery of that whole face-paint bullet-belt nonsense.

Imperium Dekadenz are nothing more than another gear in the atmospheric black metal machine, though one gear happened to stand out among the rest.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2019 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.09.2019 at 11:32

Imperium Dekadenz are nothing more than another gear in the atmospheric black metal machine, though one gear happened to stand out among the rest.

yes but gaze can sugest that opinium for people who dont know the band.
I agreed whit last part.
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 914 | This month: 3