02. Brigobannis
03. Aue der Nostalgie
04. Ave Danuvi
05. Memoria
06. Aura Silvae
07. Der Unweg
08. Striga
09. Tränen des Bacchus

If not for being the band's second-best album, Meadows Of Nostalgia could have been Imperium Dekadenz' magnum opus.

Following such a critically acclaimed album such as Procella Vadens is never an easy thing. As a band you have to be careful not to follow in the exact same footsteps while not deviating too far from what made you successful in the first place. This album manages to fulfill both of these quotas so to speak, but there's a missing element unique to its predecessor that is seemingly un-quantifiable, which is what makes Meadows Of Nostalgia an unfortunate victim of circumstance.

The bile-filled hatred spewed forth by Horaz is on par with the most vile, raw black metal vocalist, but it's a venomous sound made more palatable by accessible haunting melodies blended into a warm, enveloping backdrop. At no point are you ever overwhelmed by the extremity because it's toned down significantly compared to the "founding fathers'" lo-fi style, but there's still a distinct presence of extremity that helps balance an otherwise easy listen. Think Disney presents... black metal! And there you have Imperium Dekadenz. That may be a mild exaggeration, but you get the point. It's easy listening for the early Darkthrone fanboys, harsh listening for anyone who's never ventured beyond the polarity of Coldplay. Think "world music" featuring blastbeats. Fun for the whole family, surely.

Each track tends to bleed into the next with the exception of the accustomed interludes, but their structure differs enough to continuously engage the listener. Meadows Of Nostalgia may not be the easiest listen in the history of music, but it does its best to focus on the most digestible aspects of what black metal has to offer. Between the epic melodies, persistent not-so-dissonant wall of guitars, and a lengthy foray into repetitive riffs and shrieking madness, this is an album that tries to breach the insurmountable grounds of extreme metal fans and mainstream music listeners, winning neither over, but somehow coming out relatively unscathed as a worthwhile, if unremarkable, listen.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 29.09.2019 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 20 users
29.09.2019 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont think band has best album, all are good to me, but this has best artwork from all band artworks.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2019 - 11:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:15
I dont think band has best album, all are good to me, but this has best artwork from all band artworks.

I'm in a similar boat in the sense that none of their albums have disappointed me, and in a sense I think they're all incredibly close in terms of quality, but Procella Vadens is the album that stands apart from the rest of their discography. It just clicks in a manner not actualized on subsequent releases. Review incoming btw.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2019 - 11:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.09.2019 at 11:25

Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:15

I'm in a similar boat in the sense that none of their albums have disappointed me, and in a sense I think they're all incredibly close in terms of quality, but Procella Vadens is the album that stands apart from the rest of their discography. It just clicks in a manner not actualized on subsequent releases. Review incoming btw.

I will say like this, if you listen x,d,c,r,t band albums in no matter what order, 10 albums from different band then each new album stands higher, but if you listen same band whole disco, then somehow good album will get lower rating because you can be bored from that band.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2019 - 11:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2019 at 11:28
I will say like this, if you listen x,d,c,r,t band albums in no matter what order, 10 albums from different band then each new album stands higher, but if you listen same band whole disco, then somehow good album will get lower rating because you can be bored from that band.

I won't disagree but I don't think this applies to my situation right now.

I've been a fan of Imperium Dekadenz since I first discovered them in 2010, considering them a favorite after listening to Procella Vadens. I've listened to their discography several times through, and my opinion hasn't changed during that time.

It's been years since I've been involved in the metal scene but returning and listening to this album again made me realize I wouldn't change this album's rating even compared to 6 years ago. My tastes have changed and some of my ratings would be much lower had I reviewed them today but this band doesn't offer enough for me to go back on previous criticisms and change my views.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 844 | This month: 11