02. Old Coffin Spirit
03. Forest Of N'Gai
04. The Mystical Meeting
05. Gloria De Domino Inferni
06. Inside The Eye Of Algond
07. The Nereid Of Esgalduin [2006 re-release bonus]
08. Vicious Joy And Black Delight [2006 re-release bonus]
09. Feast Of The Grand Whore [2006 re-release bonus]
10. The Old Coffin Spirit [Live in Larissa, Greece, 2007] [2011 re-release bonus]
11. The Mystical Meeting [Live in Larissa, Greece, 2007] [2011 re-release bonus]
12. The Forest Of N'Gai [Live in Larissa, Greece, 2007] [2011 re-release bonus]

It took Rotting Christ two whole years to unleash their second strike after the Satanas Tedeum demo. The first blow in 1991 came in the form of a split release with Monumentum from Italy for which they re-recorded "Feast Of The Grand Whore", but the second and deadly one was the Passage To Arcturo EP.

In the meantime, one of the founding members of Necromantia had joined the core trio of Rotting Christ. Morbid (aka Magus Wampyr Daoloth) was a very well known figure in the Greek underground for his deep knowledge on apocryphism and mysticism and his piano and keyboards playing gave the band a much more atmospheric, dense and mesmerizing sound. At the same time, Mutilator's dark and Lovecraftian lyrics added to the album's spirituality and the bassist also designed the enigmatic cover art that depicts Orpheus gazing at Arcturus.

The music captures the essence of black metal in a way that very few albums can claim they have in the history of the genre. If you don't want to take my word for it, I'll just mention that this is Grutle Kjellson's of Enslaved fame favourite release by the band.

Doom, death, thrash and heavy metal are all blended in Rotting Christ's original black metal sound. Orthodox chanting, invocations, occult piano melodies and inventive riffing make for a record that signified the rise of Hellenic black metal. The ending of "The Forest Of N'Gai" with its jungle/voodoo sounds encapsulates the mystical spirit of the entire release. I also have to confess that the first time I heard the growl at 1:50 of "The Mystical Meeting (Dog Spleh Esoth Sevlesmeth)" on my headphones I just froze with terror.

Passage To Arcturo is unique and unprocessed, inspired and full of innovative ideas. It gave Rotting Christ a contract with Osmose Records (the first Greek band to get signed by a foreign label) and influenced a large number of groups that are today characterized as legendary.

"What I wish appears in my sleep
Surpass the whole mortal life
As succubus creeps in my cold room
Trespass the invisible zone"

Written on 30.09.2019 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 27 users
30.09.2019 - 15:16
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Neato, I was just thinking that it's due time for another one of these
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.10.2019 - 17:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 30.09.2019 at 15:16

Neato,

one letter to much to otan
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2019 - 17:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Your shortest reviev IMO and what I dont like to that pre 1995 and and early 90's BM, its to extreme satanism in all, visuals , turned cross around neck and so on, good later brend changes to mjölner and heathen themes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1552 | This month: 11