08. Last Leaf
09. Zula
10. Biome
11. Webspinner
12. Luminescent Cellar
13. Marionettes
14. Perla

Honey, I'm home.

I'll be honest with you, Pollinator is probably the first new piece of anything more metal than RuPaul I've listened to in more than 18 months. My last interaction with Cloud Rat dated back to 2015, when they released Qliphoth, and yet I was able to immediately recognize their unique brand of grindcore upon listening to this new album.

One particular thing that will jump out at your throat is the unchecked violence of the first few tracks. Cloud Rat does not waste time in polite chitchat: it's clear sounding, high-pitched pure grind/powerviolence that serves as introduction. People who are unfamiliar with the band would expect that to continue for 10 more minutes and come to a stop after a final primal scream, but that's not what Pollinator does. It reels you in with the traditional yet very well executed ferocious beginning, and waits until you're comfortable to mess you up with some much bleaker songs.

Without ever losing any of its bite, Pollinator shows a clear progression that invites you to sit down and appreciate the depth of the songwriting. Gloomy transitions, carefully placed slower tempos, anguished screams suddenly breaking through and launching an attack of frantic guitars, everything comes together to cloak that grind in an additional layer of trauma. Over the short span of a half hour, the band manages to weave a dark web made of the most delicate yet razor-sharp silk.

Cloud Rat has matured, and is now in full bloom. What indicates that to me isn't the change in moods - because they have gifted us with plenty dark tunes in the past - it's the overall impression that the band now "owns" this darkness. Like a person who learned to live with their wounds and demons, it's inextricably spun into their songs, rather than showing through a thinner fabric of pure violence.

This is the main reason why this fourth album gets better and better with successive spins. It doesn't reveal its best kept nectar until you've accepted to lose yourself and plunge down to the deep end of the pistil several times. Just be careful not to drown.

Now go spread the pollen about Pollinator.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 01.10.2019

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 62 users
01.10.2019 - 01:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Took you long enough.

I've never been interested in them but for some reason I thought they were a hardcore band and never checked them out. Sounds like this one is a good place to start as any based on your review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.10.2019 - 02:02
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.10.2019 at 01:17

Took you long enough.

I've never been interested in them but for some reason I thought they were a hardcore band and never checked them out. Sounds like this one is a good place to start as any based on your review.

I can always count on you to make me feel welcome, thanks hunty.

Well they do have that "thinner" grind sound, more based in punk/powerviolence than death. The emotions that show through are definitely something you'd see more on the -core side of things. Am I making any sense to you? But yeah it is a good album to start with for this band, it's probably their most polished release so far.
01.10.2019 - 09:13
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
So fucking happy to see you back

And to see Cloud Rat next year at Roadburn
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.10.2019 - 14:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I remember really enjoying Qliphoth, so I'll have to get on this soon. Nice review and it's great to have ya back around!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 2112 | This month: 3