Album: Angels Of Distress
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: 2001

01. Fallen
02. Angels Of Distress
03. Quiet These Paintings Are
04. ...To Live For My Death...
05. Night's Dew

I wonder if anybody's ever gonna beat Shape Of Despair as far as heaviness and slowness are concerned... Seldom have I heard something slower than Angels Of Distress. Slower than that would be going backwards. Shape Of Despair or the art of playing riffs that last four minutes each... Now I know what funeral doom is supposed to be.

Angels Of Distress is actually almost an instrumental album, enhanced with ethereal female vocals and occasional growls scattered here and there. The singers are great but they're of course not the main interest. What we damned metalheads who fell in the doom cauldron (not long ago in my case) like in Shape Of Despair is their ability to create North Pole-like atmospheres. The intro of the album, 'Fallen', and its six minutes of brain-crushing yet subtle riffs says it all. Majestic keyboards, surreal female vocals,yearning violins and eventually some growlings who come to spit all the sadness of the world to your face, you get the idea, this is ice-cold beauty we are talking about, full of emotions and eager to bury every poor lost soul that dares venture in these barren moors, the kind of beauty that since then has inspired bands llike Swallow The Sun for example.

For the song 'Angels Of Distress', take the same recipe, add some more relentlessly depressing violins, and get ready for the next masterpiece. 'Quiet These Paintings Are' is indeed the central piece of the album, the final solution against all forms of happiness, joy and love. It's the kind of song that defines a whole genre. The melancholic keyboards, the weeping violins and the sorrowful vocals are all lost in an ocean of sadness and despair... The highlight of the album and one of the best songs I've ever heard. Finally, 'Night's Dew' is the only 'fast' song here, an excellent mid-paced instrumental to close wonderfully the album.

So before my soul dies, these are my last words: Shape Of Despair is now one of the best doom bands around. Angels Of Distress is simply an almost perfect album, a must-have for doom fans. For everybody. It is unique.

Written by Deadsoulman | 21.07.2004

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 205 users
26.05.2006 - 17:29
Rating: 7
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Agreed with every word. That album is breathtaking. One of my all time favourites.

Good job, Deadsoulman!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.05.2006 - 19:33
Danielazo
Account deleted
This is probably my favourite Doom Metal album... it's perfect, very beautiful and blood-chilling.
27.05.2006 - 22:45
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Excellent review. I give 10 points to this album

In a word perhaps the best funeral doom album
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
02.06.2006 - 17:26
Kurzag
Account deleted
Great album. Beautiful and depressive.
18.07.2006 - 19:44
Basso
Account deleted
Incredible album.... love it
18.07.2006 - 21:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Nevr heard such beauty in music before.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.10.2006 - 18:26
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
This album is the reason why I like doom.
27.04.2007 - 00:08
Vulture
Account deleted
This is the best funeral doom album I have ever heard! Perfect.
All that sadness can lead you to crying and breaking down. Fantastic.
29.08.2007 - 14:41
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
The best album ever.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
03.01.2008 - 14:50
Rating: 9
velvet

Superb. Finally something that I can say is as good as Longing For Dawn's ' A treacherous Ascension'. Amazingly realised album!
23.12.2008 - 23:18
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I finally got it and listened to it just now.

Woow... Just woow.
This music was crushing, so cold and so beautiful. I never heard music that was like this before. This albu is unique. I recommend it to everyone no matter the genre they are into. This album is art!

The moment the album ended I felt so cold and I didn't want to leave my bed... I was so astonished to move.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.04.2009 - 21:48
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Perfect. One of the best albums I have ever heard.
31.07.2009 - 22:03
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
It killed my soul and buried me deep in an abyss of despair.Best funeral doom i've heard
12.10.2009 - 21:57
ideosincrasy
Account deleted
Great album, i especially love the songs Quit These Paintings Are and Night's Dew!
That are my all time favorite songs
06.02.2010 - 13:58
advent

What can i say ...... this is perfection to me

so sad they didn't released any album for almost 6 years
24.03.2010 - 09:01
Builtforsin88

Grim,depressive, but so fucking great!
23.07.2012 - 21:41
Abattoir

Written by Guest on Today at 01:00

Quiet these paintings are has to be the best song my ears have heard

A peak of creation on this album.
02.10.2012 - 04:05
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Great review. This album is perfect and completely unpredictable! I love songs filled with depression, there's something so special on them that I can't describe in only one word...
30.11.2012 - 23:41
cobrapel
Concept One
That's incredible!

Hits total: 7859 | This month: 21