05. The Devil
06. Blood For Blood
07. King Without A Crown
08. Time Of Twilight
09. Visions Of Fire
10. Ghosts
11. To Hell And Back
12. Lost Melody

When you hear an intro like the one on Metal Service, you know it will not be the best album you've heard or at least it lowers your expectations. How important are 65 seconds? Very. I'll explain: I believe "My Mashed Insane Brain..." isn't the smartest option to follow the intro. Why? Because there's a limit to how long one can wait for things to get interesting before jumping into conclusions. It takes 65 seconds for Dragonsfire to get the good stuff out, that's why I think it was a risky track order choice. If they had switched the order of "My Mashed Insane Brain..." and "Raging Fire" it would have taken just 37 seconds (which is the length of the intro "Welcome").

You might think I'm overreacting, but I'll tell you this: I found this album difficult to listen to at first, I underestimated it and based my judgement only on those lousy 65 seconds, I guess my mind was not open to the idea that the album might actually be good, but, is it? It is undeniable that Metal Service has a heart, Dragonsfire are in for the music and for the fun, and when you're having fun the result can't be bad, unless you don't know what you're doing (which is not the case here).

The voice might sound odd at the beginning if this is your first Dragonsfire album (like in my case) but then it grows on you and everything becomes clear. This album has really good songs like "Call Of The Heart", "Time Of Twilight", "To Hell And Back" and I'm gonna stop there otherwise I'll end up mentioning 90% of the album's tracks (not the first two, I insist).

It turned out "Welcome" was not a warning sign after all but rather a weird choice for an intro. Let's be honest though, this is far from being in the top 10 best heavy metal albums in history. It is my opinion that, out of all their material, this album is the weakest, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it only means that the following two releases are great. Seems like the band had developed their identity and sound over the years to end up doing what they did; Speed Demon and Metal X are great releases and it all started with Metal Service (their first album is solid as well). To sum up, this is not their best album, but it is a very strong foundation of this band's career.

It is a damn shame Torsten Thassilo Herbert won't be around anymore to keep building a music legacy along with his fellow members. It's sad to see a band as interesting as Dragonsfire (at least during the Torsten era) coming to an end.

Must listen!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by The_Hellion | 15.11.2019

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 12 users
16.11.2019 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Seems to be a good band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 678 | This month: 5