01. Omnia Ad Dei Gloriam
02. Chapel Of Abuse
03. A Shadow In The Dormitory
04. Alone With The Cross
05. The Hallowed Leech
06. Poor Sisters Of Nazareth
07. To Those In The Grave
08. When God Is Not Watching

Epic doom metal is making quite a comeback in 2019 and Fvneral Fvkk's debut has arrived to further support this observation. Featuring members of Ophis, Fäulnis and Voidhaven, they have chosen apt pseudonyms to accentuate their sardonic mission statement.

When I first came across the name of this four-piece from Hamburg, I wasn't sure what to make of it. It didn't strike me as a very successful choice, but listening to the album more and more and reading the disturbing lyrics (that are mostly based on true events), I became convinced that it does sarcastically describe the idea behind the band, which is the appalling phenomenon of sex abuse and other heinous crimes that have been committed in God's name.

Musically, Fvneral Fvkk do everything right; they take the doomiest out of Solitude Aeturnus, Woods Of Ypres, and My Dying Bride and deliver a sad, disconcerting and filler-free album. Carnal Confessions is generally not faster than your grandmother's walking pace when she goes to church to pray, and to the inexperienced listener the lack of significant change in tempo and rhythm may come across as monotonous and repetitive upon first listen.

However, the songwriting brilliance and the exceptional performances in this record make it one of the standout debuts of the year. The way Fvneral Fvkk build their songs upon heavy riffs and adorn them with wailing melodies that send chills down your spine is exquisite. The baritone vocals of Cantor Cinaedicus are flawless and the addition of ecclesiastical chanting makes the album feel like it was recorded in a cathedral. The rhythm section sounds like raping nails being hammered on the coffin of innocence and the whole atmosphere of the album is mournful and sinister, like a lamenting soundtrack being played when the evil side of the human nature buries any form of purity and virtuousness by engaging in molesting activities. The production is clean without being too polished and brings out everything there is to enjoy about the instruments and the impeccable vocals.

Fvneral Fvkk are cynically presenting a harrowing subject around which their crushing and melancholic music revolves, both on their previous EP and on this debut full-length. "The dirtier your bible, the cleaner your soul", the band preaches, so join the Church of Holy Fvkk right here and spread its gospel.

"The statues
Of all the holy saints
The carpets
With those treacherous stains
They witness
Oh, the stories they'd tell
His blessings -
An altar boy's hell"

Written on 20.11.2019 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 95 users
20.11.2019 - 20:07
Lanthros
Going by the band name alone I would have thought black or death metal. I'm going to have to check this out.
20.11.2019 - 20:16
nikarg
staff
Written by Lanthros on 20.11.2019 at 20:07

Going by the band name alone I would have thought black or death metal. I'm going to have to check this out.

I almost skipped it because of the band's name. Then Sarah from Smoulder mentioned it on a YouTube video and when Sarah suggests something, it is usually a must-listen for me. If you like the style, I think you'll love this album.
20.11.2019 - 20:50
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Fvkk me, thats a great album
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.11.2019 - 11:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great review, band and fovk op naime
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2019 - 21:23
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 20.11.2019 at 20:16

Written by Lanthros on 20.11.2019 at 20:07

I almost skipped it because of the band's name. Then Sarah from Smoulder mentioned it on a YouTube video and when Sarah suggests something, it is usually a must-listen for me. If you like the style, I think you'll love this album.

I second those opinions. Going by the name and the album art, you would expect some badly produced sacrilegious black metal. But after reading the review I did a quick search on Youtube and was instantly blown away. Don't mind song titles such as Erection in the House of God and Fvkking At Fvnerals (from the Lecherous Liturgies EP). It's like dismissing Goatwhore just because of the band name.
Tracks that stick out for me are Chapel of Abuse, The Hallowed Leech and Poor Sisters of Nazareth. This album is definitely getting my vote for doom metal album of the year at the 2019 MS awards.

Last but not least, thanks nikarg and the rest of the MS staff for enlightening us lowly metalheads with great reviews of albums we would otherwise be oblivious to
26.11.2019 - 00:51
nikarg
staff
Written by Nejde on 25.11.2019 at 21:23

This album is definitely getting my vote for doom metal album of the year at the 2019 MS awards.

It needs to be nominated first to get your vote
but I am confident it will, with Fvneral Fvkk being protected by the holy horny spirit and all

Last but not least, thanks nikarg and the rest of the MS staff for enlightening us lowly metalheads with great reviews of albums we would otherwise be oblivious to

Blessings upon thee, my beloved brother.
26.11.2019 - 13:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 26.11.2019 at 00:51

This album is definitely getting my vote for doom metal album of the year at the 2019 MS awards.

but I am confident it will, with Fvneral Fvkk being protected by the holy horny spirit and all

I hope it work, because often you nominated bad album, good albums are out Because of personal ego and hatrad to band name, and I dont talk about you
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.11.2019 - 19:37
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 26.11.2019 at 00:51

If it's not I would be really surprised, but then there's always the write-in-votes
28.11.2019 - 03:47
no one
Stink
----
Unable to connect to the database
05.01.2020 - 18:29
tempoklad
Excellent album, I hope it will get noted by the audience
14.01.2020 - 10:33
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
What a way to limit the potential fanbase - use a name that will deter many people because it's ridiculous/preposterous/puerile.
Too bad, because the album is quite good.
15.01.2020 - 06:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Daniell on 14.01.2020 at 10:33

What a way to limit the potential fanbase - use a name that will deter many people because it's ridiculous/preposterous/puerile.

I don't think they'd be significantly more popular if they chose a more typical name like one of their song titles (Chapel Of Abuse, for instance) -- assuming potential popularity is even something of a primary concern to them.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2020 - 11:30
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.01.2020 at 06:56

I don't think they'd be significantly more popular if they chose a more typical name like one of their song titles (Chapel Of Abuse, for instance) -- assuming potential popularity is even something of a primary concern to them.

You have a point there. But I was actually one of those who disregarded this band because of their stupid name. I got to know them by accident - Youtube's autoplay feature played "Chapel of Abuse" for me. So yeah, my point kind of stands

Hits total: 3932 | This month: 9