Metal Storm logo
Favorite Swedish Death Metal Band?

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 14.06.2007 - 22:43
I didn't feel I should make a poll as there are alot of bands I know I would leave out, and there are so many great ones. My top 3 are actually Hypocrisy, Seance, and Merciless. Mainly because they really set themselves apart from the rest without using the crunchy guitar tone. Merciless could almost be defined as a death/thrash or blackened death metal band, you'll be amazed how great their classic "The Awakening "is. I definitley think you should track down a copy of Seance' "Fornever Laid To Rest", excellent musicianship and really good cover art, which caught my eye. As for Hypocrisy, I probably dont need to say anything, you all know how awesome they are, always improving and evolving. Necrophobic, Unleashed, Entombed and Dismember are of course great as well. I am not a big fan of Carcass or Grave really, and there are some bands I still want to hear such as Epitaph, early Afflicted, early Therion and later Merciless.
22.06.2007 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.06.2007 at 19:26

Merciless - The Awakening is probably my favourite death metal album of all times.
[Therion - demos, Time Shall Tell EP and first two albums are awesome.
[Treblinka / Tiamat

What is Merciless Havt hear it
About therion I agree demos shood be good but I havt hera them so but Treblinka wa sblack metal and first 4 Tiamat albums are so awsome realy awsome
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.09.2007 - 17:14
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
Merciless and Amon Amarth here. I also love Therion and Tiamat but I enjoy both band's entire discography and neither are death anymore.
17.09.2007 - 14:08
Doh
Vomitory
Aeon
Entombed
Visceral Bleeding
17.09.2007 - 14:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.09.2007 at 17:14

Merciless and Amon Amarth here. I also love Therion and Tiamat but I enjoy both band's entire discography and neither are death anymore.

Whay is Merciless

I dont remeber if I mention Runemagic in my post but early albuns are old school death metal, leither death/doom its awsome band
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2007 - 05:20
graywolf87
Account deleted
don't know really if they are from germany or sweden but "Unleashed"...period
18.09.2007 - 20:59
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 18.09.2007 at 05:20

You are in the right thread bro!
19.09.2007 - 10:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 18.09.2007 at 20:59

What he means
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2007 - 12:12
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2007 at 10:06

Written by Sunioj on 18.09.2007 at 20:59

What he means

He meant they're from Sweden and was posting in the correct thread.
19.09.2007 - 14:01
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Almost noone did mention At the Gates... OK, I will then. I dont like this new death metal bands, theres bunch of them that sound the same, especially melodic death....
----
19.09.2007 - 14:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stalker on 19.09.2007 at 14:01

Almost noone did mention At the Gates... OK, I will then. I dont like this new death metal bands, theres bunch of them that sound the same, especially melodic death....

I agree nowdays melo death sounds simmilar seems one melody diferent lyrics ;lol: just like all Kiss videos and I like At The Gates
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2007 - 01:59
VPeter
Unleashed, Amon Amarth are among mine favorite, but I also like many others. Sweden really has a great death metal scene.
23.09.2007 - 05:38
Mega-Slayer
Wow! At The Gates is an exceptionally good death metal band. Really the only melo-death band I care for, the adding of the violin is unique. I really like the drumming, some of the best, and I thought I had heard it all. Just got "The Red Sky Is Ours" yesterday, and it has definitely become a favorite of mine.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
08.10.2007 - 09:49
mazakiel
Account deleted
Bathory rules
08.10.2007 - 10:03
Mega-Slayer
^^^ Okay I get the point,but why the fuck are you mentioning them here anyway?Bathory is Black Metal, and later Viking Metal.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
04.11.2007 - 03:52
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
..and later thrash metal.
06.11.2007 - 03:50
Emo Eater
Account deleted
If you mean Swedish Melodic Death Metal too, then In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity and At The Gates.
06.11.2007 - 16:10
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
No one has mentioned God Macabre... Easily one of the best Swedish death bands IMO. Even though they only made one album, it doesn't matter... I'd rather a band made that one great CD and then split rather than have a long career and produce a lot of crap. Which happens to a lot of bands...
06.11.2007 - 16:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.10.2007 at 09:49

Bathory rules

SINCE WHEN BATHORY play death metal?
----

apos;'
[image]
07.11.2007 - 00:21
Metal Rob!!
Account deleted
THERION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a Brother said above, the first records are awesome. I'm just missing the first demo, visit my trade list if you want to put this album out from my wishlist....jeje
12.11.2007 - 11:25
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Opeth

they are just amazing both melodic and agressive great mellow vocals and grunts
amazing riffs and drumming they are just the perfect band
----
Stay Metal !!!
12.11.2007 - 11:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.11.2007 at 00:21

THERION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a Brother said above, the first records are awesome. I'm just missing the first demo, visit my trade list if you want to put this album out from my wishlist....jeje

That Therion are gone seems thay ingonre and deny all before Theli album
----

apos;'
[image]
12.11.2007 - 12:55
ylside
Staff
No, They didn't ignore their death metal period since actually they did some death metal album (the actual Therion band members) under the Demonoid name. And well yes their early albums are awesome.

Written by Guest on 06.11.2007 at 16:10

No one has mentioned God Macabre... Easily one of the best Swedish death bands IMO. Even though they only made one album, it doesn't matter... I'd rather a band made that one great CD and then split rather than have a long career and produce a lot of crap. Which happens to a lot of bands...

I quite agree here yes... one of the most refined takes on Swedish DM, as I read somewhere. Very doomy by moments. You might also check Gorement if you liked GM. Very good Swedeath.
12.11.2007 - 22:17
Abattoir
Staff
I would say Amon Amarth...and Scar Symmetry...great bands. Generally, I prefer melodic death more...
Till now, every new album release from these two bands was an upgrade from the former albums...and that is great. Especially by Amon Amarth of course...
12.11.2007 - 23:26
IllNiñoSweden
Entombed is a good swedish death metal band.
13.11.2007 - 19:45
Metal Rob!!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.11.2007 at 11:27

Written by Guest on 07.11.2007 at 00:21

Yes brother you´re right, but we can't ignore that they are not anymore a Death Metal band, their musical roots was grown in this genre (Thats why I'd said that they are my favorite Sweedish Death Metal band) but now we have to get their Smphonyc Metal as a evolution, as a melt of Classical music and Metal music, then it is not so dissapointing...dont you think so?

That Therion are gone seems thay ingonre and deny all before Theli album
14.11.2007 - 14:17
Sunioj
Necrophobic and Seance. Can't believe I forgot these lads...Necrophobic is very very influential imo.
14.11.2007 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sunioj on 14.11.2007 at 14:17

Necrophobic and Seance. Can't believe I forgot these lads...Necrophobic is very very influential imo.

Whit out looking in MA I dont rember them

EDDIT Seance I find them there seems good
----

apos;'
[image]
14.11.2007 - 14:48
Sunioj
Written by Bad English on 14.11.2007 at 14:37

Written by Sunioj on 14.11.2007 at 14:17

Whit out looking in MA I dont rember them

EDDIT Seance I find them there seems good

Seance is good, but actually I prefer Necrophobic. Their first two albums 'Nocturnal Silence' and 'Darkside' are masterpieces IMO. They have that old school sounding guitar ala Dismember and Entombed, but also incorporate some black metal in their style.
14.11.2007 - 17:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Without doubt Opeth, ever since I first heard them they've been one of the favourites. I guess it's because I'm a bit of a Progressive nerd.
----
14.11.2007 - 18:56
RhysTerk
In Flames