Metal Storm logo
Favorite Swedish Death Metal Band?

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 14.06.2007 - 22:43
I didn't feel I should make a poll as there are alot of bands I know I would leave out, and there are so many great ones. My top 3 are actually Hypocrisy, Seance, and Merciless. Mainly because they really set themselves apart from the rest without using the crunchy guitar tone. Merciless could almost be defined as a death/thrash or blackened death metal band, you'll be amazed how great their classic "The Awakening "is. I definitley think you should track down a copy of Seance' "Fornever Laid To Rest", excellent musicianship and really good cover art, which caught my eye. As for Hypocrisy, I probably dont need to say anything, you all know how awesome they are, always improving and evolving. Necrophobic, Unleashed, Entombed and Dismember are of course great as well. I am not a big fan of Carcass or Grave really, and there are some bands I still want to hear such as Epitaph, early Afflicted, early Therion and later Merciless.
26.02.2008 - 07:34
NOИ

Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. but they are not exactly "Death Metal", more Gothenburg...
27.03.2008 - 15:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by NOИ on 26.02.2008 at 07:34

Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. but they are not exactly "Death Metal", more Gothenburg...

Well, I mean, Gothenburg is basically melodic death metal soooo....
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
27.03.2008 - 18:33
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
My first pick is going to Entombed but I really like Vomitory!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
27.03.2008 - 22:53
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
The swedes make good death metal indeed, it's a hard choice to pick one band in particular so the three bands that i enjoy the most are Bloodbath, Spawn of Possession and Vomitory.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
29.03.2008 - 14:37
HELLilac

I love a few bands but Dark Tranquillity is the most consistent so they get my vote.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
03.04.2008 - 23:27
Colony
Account deleted
Dark Tranquillity or In Flames but Scar Symmetry is pretty close but since they only have two albums out they can't compare to DT (I assume Melodic Death is okay)
04.04.2008 - 12:32
Cut-Throat

Grave all the way! I think everyone has to give Grave some credit if your not a huge fan of them. Vomitory are very good also!
23.08.2008 - 09:19
superDBZman
Account deleted
At the GAtes Cause of TRITSIO but i think DISMEMBER take the throne as kings of the swedish throne, not a bad release
23.08.2008 - 11:51
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm gonna go with more basic death metal and go with EARLY Hypocrisy. DT are my favorite Melo-Death band
----
Coldgrits
23.08.2008 - 13:42
Opethienne
Account deleted
hmm i think Scar symmetry too but the most for me is DT and In flames!
23.08.2008 - 13:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
why do people keep on mentioning NON death metal bands here?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2008 - 13:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
that's what I was thinking too, but I wasn't asking because I haven't followed this thread, so I thought they had their own rules here...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.08.2008 - 14:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 23.08.2008 at 13:57

that's what I was thinking too, but I wasn't asking because I haven't followed this thread, so I thought they had their own rules here...

Nope, read the first post and you'll see.

EDIT: Why is Carcass mentioned in the first post? They are English not Swedish (althoguh they had one Swede in the line-up)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2008 - 14:16
Opethienne
Account deleted
yes children of bodom it's sweedish too ! and melodic death metal and what about arch enemy i like too!
23.08.2008 - 14:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I was just about to say the same joke... good one
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.08.2008 - 14:41
Opethienne
Account deleted
I now that just a Joke !
Darkan too even if it's thrash/death and At the gates Wowww Amon amarth for melodic death/viking , Disfear a vocal's At the gates side project ...
And I'm Foolish OPETH !! Too
N.B: SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!
27.08.2008 - 20:17
sq_xeper

The topic title is "favorite DEATH METAL band from sweden", so to me its Hypocrisy by far, the first three records were fucking brutal as hell and then with Peter on vocals they kept with a very unique style of death metal, there was no comparisson with any other band out there
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
29.08.2008 - 22:03
Nazeef

......................BLOODBATH....................
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
01.09.2008 - 05:46
astrozombie

all about the grave and entombed dude i dig it ribspreaders good to.
01.09.2008 - 17:57
Metal_Militia

//Probably Meshuggah for me because they are so different and unique. For me their straight forward sound of Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve never really get too old. Also I love their weird computer generator sound effects they put on their guitars sometimes. Havent heard anything else like it//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

01.09.2008 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why would you mention Meshuggah in a thread about Swedish Death Metal when they are clearly a modern technical thrash band?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2008 - 22:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I will add Anata to my previous list. I made the mistake of not acknowledging this technical death metal band the first time i heard them. However, I now see how great they are, the tight musicianship, good songwriting abilities, and memorable melodies. Dreams of Death and Dismay is a monster of an album, i still need to hear TCD and i'm looking forward to their upcoming album.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.09.2008 - 23:10
Sorg
Account deleted
There's so many! At the Gates, Vomitory, Wintersun, old Hypocrisy, old In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc

By the way, Meshuggah is not death metal, though it does have obvious death metal influences.
02.09.2008 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.09.2008 at 23:10

Wintersun,

Its Finish band not swedish

Maybe you meant Vintersorg but its not death metal at all
Or Vinterland but its black metal, sorry dont know simmilar bands from sweden where's winter
There was Winterlong but its some kind of flower metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.09.2008 - 15:03
Sorg
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.09.2008 at 00:59

Wintersun,

Its Finish band not swedish

Maybe you meant Vintersorg but its not death metal at all
Or Vinterland but its black metal, sorry dont know simmilar bands from sweden where's winter
There was Winterlong but its some kind of flower metal

Oops, sorry, made a mistake.
02.09.2008 - 15:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

There's so many! At the Gates, Vomitory, Wintersun, old Hypocrisy, old In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc

Well, neither Wintersun nor In Flames nor Arch Enemy are Death Metal. Wintersun is Extreme Power, and the other two are Gothenburg Metal, and not even Melodic Death.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.09.2008 - 16:40
Abattoir

Well I will choose ONLY ''death'' metal bands , and no melo-death or gothenburg or anything else.

So mine favourites bands would be Hypocrisy, some old Entombed, also Vomitory and Grave aren't bad either And Bloodbath of course...
02.09.2008 - 21:53
Sorg
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 02.09.2008 at 15:19

Well, neither Wintersun nor In Flames nor Arch Enemy are Death Metal. Wintersun is Extreme Power, and the other two are Gothenburg Metal, and not even Melodic Death.

Sorry there, asshole, I didn't realize it had to be broken up in uneeded little genres.
03.09.2008 - 08:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 02.09.2008 at 21:53

Sorry there, asshole, I didn't realize it had to be broken up in uneeded little genres.

Exactly. I didn't have to be broken into any crap. The thread name says "... Death Metal Band," not "Melodeath," or "Gothenburg" or anything else, so shut up before you get banned.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.09.2008 - 15:33
Sorg
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 03.09.2008 at 08:48

Written by Guest on 02.09.2008 at 21:53

Exactly. I didn't have to be broken into any crap. The thread name says "... Death Metal Band," not "Melodeath," or "Gothenburg" or anything else, so shut up before you get banned.

You might as well go hang yourself right now, Gothenburg is a form of melodeath, and melodeath is a form of death metal. I thought "death metal" meant every form of death metal. So I don't understand what your original purpose of replying to me was.