Album: Life Is A Disease
Style: Black metal
Release date: October 2019

01. Disgusting Planet
02. Life Is A Disease
03. Downwards
04. Visions Of My Corpse
05. Swarm

Always keep a keen eye on links shared in the Metal Storm Shoutbox, a haven for awesome jamz awaiting discovery.

Indeed, Blattaria first popped up on my radar through a share of the project's impressive debut album in our lovely SB. I was pretty impressed and wanted more, so when Life Is A Disease came a'knocking this year, I warmly opened the door. For the unfamiliar, Blattaria is the one man effort of a Mr. Manuel Garcia, and is basically made for those who enjoy that dissonant, quasi psychedelic take on black metal. Fans of stuff like Nachtmystium, Arizmenda, Blut Aus Nord, and even Portal should be right at home with Life Is A Disease. Herein lies a stimulating, spine tingling package replete with wobbly, hazy riffs that seem to circle all around each other, a pleasantly audible bass that stays quiet but present in the mix, and some truly excellent drumming that holds all the pieces together. Opener "Disgusting Planet" establishes an approach that is more or less followed throughout: dense, swirly, and all around hypnotizing.

If there's one element of the music on Life Is A Disease that's the real icing on the cake though, it's the vocals. Here is where Garcia really shows his versatility, as he alternates between growls, shrieks, a yelling approach, and deeeeeeep howls that don't sound too far off from what you'd hear out of Wrest in Leviathan. "Visions Of My Corpse" is perhaps the best example of this guy's ability to not only switch between these various approaches with ease, but also to utilize them to accentuate different moods of the songwriting. The shrieks tend to come out during the more frantic, upbeat moments, and the howls during the slower that embrace more of the psychedelic influence.

Repeated listens to Life Is A Disease only cement the awe of it having been crafted entirely by a single person. Raw and abrasive as well as eerie and ritualistic, the album is wonderfully paced and structured in a way in which all aspects of the music get their time to shine, creating the impression of each being of equal importance in the final recipe. With an overall spooky vibe and strangely catchy songwriting, this album is a late year highlight that fans of more ambient and psychedelic-influenced black metal would be wise to not allow to fade into obscurity.

Written on 10.12.2019 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 72 users
10.12.2019 - 08:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Music for less than pleasurable journeys through the dream world
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.12.2019 - 08:48
no one

Yeah this is sick.
----
Unable to connect to the database
10.12.2019 - 16:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by no one on 10.12.2019 at 08:48

Yeah this is sick.

I think it might've been you who shared the debut in the SB actually, so if so thanks for the awesome discovery!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.12.2019 - 19:23
no one

Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.12.2019 at 16:57

I think it might've been you who shared the debut in the SB actually, so if so thanks for the awesome discovery!

My pleasure
----
Unable to connect to the database
11.12.2019 - 16:04
VIG
Account deleted
I didn't like this as much as I thought I would when you told me about it, and I thought I would because I love the bands you compare it too. It just felt a little too raw in a way I guess.
11.12.2019 - 21:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 11.12.2019 at 16:04

I didn't like this as much as I thought I would when you told me about it, and I thought I would because I love the bands you compare it too. It just felt a little too raw in a way I guess.

Says the guy who likes Arizmenda?
Dunno what gets much rawer than that
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
11.12.2019 - 23:23
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.12.2019 at 21:03

Says the guy who likes Arizmenda?
Dunno what gets much rawer than that

I knew you were gonna say that It's probably not just that, I can't really pinpoint what it is about it. It is good, just not that good I guess. Maybe I've heard it a million times before

Hits total: 1724 | This month: 5