05. The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings
06. Morrígan
07. Per Tropo Fede
08. Lone Isle
09. Asleep In The Bracken
10. Quant Voi La Flor Novele
11. Emanations Before The Pythia
12. In Hoc Anni Circulo

Is coming out with an album every four years a medieval tradition?

Obsequiae is a pretty unique band, in that it sits comfortably in between folk metal and black metal without sounding like either of those. There is a lot that the band does that is quite similar to what other bands are doing, and one can trace influences to the likes of Summoning or Forefather, but even so their music has such a distinct sound. Coming from the not so rich in medieval history Minnesota, Obsequiae is more or less a one man band with Tanner Anderson doing guitars and vocals and bass and a whole bunch of other instruments, with his work going as far back as 1998, when the project was still called Autumnal Winds, and alongside him there is a harp player and a drummer, the latter of which makes his debut in the project with this album. So now we have the third album, complete with the four year break in between them.

If you were already familiar with Obsequiae's sound, The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings will not bring many new surprises, but there are some slight changes. But if this is your first contact with the band, their sound could be described as medieval black metal that is warm and hazy. The black metal element is obviously felt mostly in the vocals and guitar works but even as is, it is extremely melodic in such a way that sounds really pleasant and that perfectly ties in with the folk aspect of the band. With the guitars being almost always at the forefront, it pushes the vocals, drums and bass to secondary roles, therefore having the melodic aspect of the guitar work carry so much of the album's weight, which showcases the insane quality of the songwriting.

The folk black metal pieces are interwoven with medieval folk bits, being rather clearly separated instead of blended together. The harp interludes, courtesy of third member Vicente La Camera Mariño, act as so much more than just to divide the songs or to offer some pause from the metal moments, and if the metal moments weren't as great as they were, I'd say that these interludes could've been the album's highlight. The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings does bring the sound further a bit, by giving these interludes more space and by adding a few more folk instruments and sporadic clean vocals in the mix, but without compromising the already established sound. The fairly raw production, often reminding me of those two bands I named as obvious influences, give the album such a hazy and detached-from-time feeling that works so well with the medieval aspect of the music. The same way that Summoning transports the listener to Middle Earth, so does Obsequiae, though the realm is unclear.

It is so rare to find music that perfectly evokes that fantastical feeling of wonder that we have regarding those almost mythical times in the middle ages, and why most fantasy art fits the setting in the medieval world. Less black plague and feudalism and more chivalry and glory.

Written on 12.12.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 120 users
12.12.2019 - 13:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great good metal sound, mixture of many genres
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.12.2019 - 15:10
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
I have become a huge Obesquiea fan since hearing Aria of Venereal Tombs during the MS awards (o wow 4 years ago....). I cannot say that I prefer this album over their previous effort, as overall this album feels slower. This is in part due to the 5 (over the previous album's 4) harp interludes. They are beautiful, and part of what gives the band their unique sound, but I vastly prefer that hazy guitar tone and Tanner's rasp. I would trade three of these interludes for one more "actual" track.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
12.12.2019 - 15:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Chainer on 12.12.2019 at 15:10

I would trade three of these interludes for one more "actual" track.

I wouldn't mind an extra track, but if it comes at the expense of just one of those interludes, I'd rather not.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
13.12.2019 - 07:19
Rating: 9
Opethian

Took me back to Alkonost's debut. This album has shot straight to the top for AOTY contender. A mandatory listen in my opinion
13.12.2019 - 13:32
Vivid Insanity
Account deleted
I quite enjoyed reading your review, given the sub-genre (folk/medieval) it was nice to not be inundated with terms like epic, majestic, symphonic, emotional etc etc. - not that there's nothing wrong with that. But it's overused, repetitive and you already get an idea of what it's going to sound like before you've even listened to it. It's also nice to not have songs which don't have sudden stops every minute or so for some reason, and for very little impact.

This is fun, and the interludes are great.
13.12.2019 - 13:42
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Guest on 13.12.2019 at 13:32

I quite enjoyed reading your review, given the sub-genre (folk/medieval) it was nice to not be inundated with terms like epic, majestic, symphonic, emotional etc etc. - not that there's nothing wrong with that. But it's overused, repetitive and you already get an idea of what it's going to sound like before you've even listened to it. It's also nice to not have songs which don't have sudden stops every minute or so for some reason, and for very little impact.

Yeah it gets really hard especially with stuff like power and folk metal not to use those overused term. Imagine having not to use brutal when describing death metal albums.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
13.12.2019 - 14:39
Vivid Insanity
Account deleted
Written by RaduP on 13.12.2019 at 13:42

Written by Guest on 13.12.2019 at 13:32

Yeah it gets really hard especially with stuff like power and folk metal not to use those overused term. Imagine having not to use brutal when describing death metal albums.

Yeah that would be tricky, when one uses the term brutal (and from what I've gathered on MS) there's usually a line of people immediately ready to disprove it - unless it's warranted of course.
19.12.2019 - 04:08
tintinb

Written by Chainer on 12.12.2019 at 15:10

I have become a huge Obesquiea fan since hearing Aria of Venereal Tombs during the MS awards (o wow 4 years ago....)

That is exactly how I got to be a fan of Obsequiae as well. Like you even I am surprised that it's already 4 years. I was so struck by their sound, such a good blend of melody and harsh. I am extremely excited to try out this new one.
----
Leeches everywhere.
15.03.2021 - 21:56
Rating: 8
DarkWingedSoul

2 years later... i will also check them out.

Hits total: 2937 | This month: 10