08. Fatal Error
09. Betrayal/Forgiveness
10. Ruska
11. Deathzone
12. En Vie
13. How Far [Ltd. Edition bonus]
14. Wie Weit [Ltd. Edition bonus]
+ Apocalyptica-Monitor (ROM Part)

What a pleasant duty, to review such a band as Apocalyptica. A band that started so modestly, recording a CD of Metallica covers, being more of a project than a full-time band. But they worked hard and professionally and matured to become one of the jewels of today's metal scene, so full of...everything these days. All with a master degree in the cello, this is a band of most skilled musicians. And they managed to bring a lot of innovation with each new release.

Their fifth, self-titled album is no exception. This is their first fully original release, with no covers whatsoever, and that can hardly be a drawback. The material has rarely been so gloriously diverse on their albums as in here. There is hardly any point in recommending any separate tracks though. Apocalyptica take you for a memorable journey through feelings, and not in the same way as Amorphis, for example, but a lot more turbulently and aggressively. It doesn't matter which track you're listening to, the creepy "Betrayal" or almost violent "Fisheye", gentle "Deathzone" or energetic "Quutamo", you have to like this album! Seriously, if you have any sense of musicianship and metal in yourself, you will adore Apocalyptica. I guess the first half is more aggressive than the second, more subtle one, but it's a full experience and a well-rounded record all in all. What also contributes are the three (or five on the limited edition) vocal tracks, with guest appearances from Lauri Ylonen (The Rasmus) and Ville Valo (HIM). Although I hate their original bands, their vocals fit in quite nicely with this type of music. The hidden track, "En Vie" comes at 6:40 in the track "Deathzone" and is one in the series of "Quutamo" done with vocals in different languages.

What else is there to say? If you ever heard Apocalyptica and liked it, you will like this album even better! And if you have never heard it, you will definitely want to add this album to your collection. An unconditional recommendation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by gojko88 | 01.03.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 104 users
16.06.2007 - 20:21
Rating: 8
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
I was planning on writing a review for this album, but you nailed it down so well that I have nothing more to add. Great review man.
28.01.2008 - 22:52
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I have teh limited edition of this album and I can say the versions of How far in different languages kick ass. Deffinitely a myt. Apocalyptica seems to get better everytime.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.02.2008 - 02:30
gojko88

Although I shared your opinion, I cannot digest the pop mainstream crap that is the latest album...
18.11.2008 - 02:53
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Not as good as their other releases, being "Reflections" the best of all, but has a couple of highlights, such as Betrayal/Forgiveness, one of their best songs IMO.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.11.2008 - 22:29
DanielViking

For me this is the best album of thr band... great songs, some nice lyrics and the originality of these guys is something can simply can't pass you by... 9!

Hits total: 7410 | This month: 6