07. Let's Dance
08. Creatures
09. Ghost House Heart
10. Masters Of Destiny
11. Legions Of The Lost
12. The Greatest Escape
13. Combustion

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2020

Don't judge a book by its cover. Apocalypse & Chill's title is a clear reference to the contemporary 'Netflix and Chill' trend, and the album cover is trying to depict our preoccupation to look gorgeous and take selfies while the world out there is on fire. Great idea, not so great execution. No matter what you think of the album cover and the antithesis it is trying to highlight, the music of Delain's latest is hitting the nail on the head; it takes modern metal guitar hooks that sound really heavy at times and adorns them with keyboards, chorals and symphonic elements in a very balanced manner. Apocalypse & Chill stays strong throughout its runtime, featuring its best material in the second half. Make sure to check out Charlotte's duet with Yannis Papadopoulos (Beast In Black) on "Vengeance", the super heavy "Creatures" with its chorus nodding to Queen's "The Show Must Go On", the absolutely epic "Masters Of Destiny" and the djenty (not joking) instrumental "Combustion".

nikarg's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: RaduP, D.T. Metal, Ag Fox, Dream Taster
Bandcamp music player

Found in 15 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 491 users
04.10.2020 - 14:32
Archie 666

It's either the worst album art work and title of the album ever or the most brilliant one
04.10.2020 - 14:36
Rating: 7
JoHn Doe

Written by Archie 666 on 04.10.2020 at 14:32

It's either the worst album art work and title of the album ever or the most brilliant one

maybe it's one of those "it's so bad, it's good" kind.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.10.2020 - 15:47
nikarg

It's definitely not forgettable or indifferent
05.10.2020 - 23:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I'm not certain if this predicted the apocalypse or caused it.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.10.2020 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 05.10.2020 at 23:15

I'm not certain if this predicted the apocalypse or caused it.

Both: a self-fulfilling prophecy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.11.2020 - 18:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Album artwork is weird, dont fits music. Wessels is good singer, talented, but smehow its band s trademark dont work, but its good. She could sing in gothic doom or gothic metal band. This music is catchy, good metal sound whit varoius influences, pop, disco and so on, each song has own touch of non metal family put in metal sound. Works fine, this same as Whithin Gathering. Boat bands are as good cognac or whisky, gets better whit age. Non of their early albums dont stand close to their newest. Good touch and feel, big progress in song writing, this is how van Grisberhgen can spound, if she wants.
This album is when you go to party, and wanna hook up a chick, trOO grimm metal wont work, but non likes pure pop, so its perfect, since Charlote pulling up the skirt when she start to flirt and breath on you.
I have demons what fight, even I accept this influences, but wnat perfect metal as Nighwish in angels era, what is their best! So as mucxh I like it but somehow my ego dont want me apriciate this one, but I do, listen it. We're outsiders
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2021 - 22:02
Rating: 9
Vonpire

Really great surprise of 2020. I like almost all about this album except the second song and the cover. Totally deserved title of symphonic metal album of the year.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
20.07.2021 - 18:17
abysss

I just want to say

Charlotte Weasels

Hits total: 6627 | This month: 18