07. Let's Dance
08. Creatures
09. Ghost House Heart
10. Masters Of Destiny
11. Legions Of The Lost
12. The Greatest Escape
13. Combustion

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2020

Don't judge a book by its cover. Apocalypse & Chill's title is a clear reference to the contemporary 'Netflix and Chill' trend, and the album cover is trying to depict our preoccupation to look gorgeous and take selfies while the world out there is on fire. Great idea, not so great execution. No matter what you think of the album cover and the antithesis it is trying to highlight, the music of Delain's latest is hitting the nail on the head; it takes modern metal guitar hooks that sound really heavy at times and adorns them with keyboards, chorals and symphonic elements in a very balanced manner. Apocalypse & Chill stays strong throughout its runtime, featuring its best material in the second half. Make sure to check out Charlotte's duet with Yannis Papadopoulos (Beast In Black) on "Vengeance", the super heavy "Creatures" with its chorus nodding to Queen's "The Show Must Go On", the absolutely epic "Masters Of Destiny" and the djenty (not joking) instrumental "Combustion".

nikarg's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: RaduP, D.T. Metal, Ag Fox, Dream Taster
Bandcamp music player

Found in 15 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 491 users
21.12.2019 - 01:21
DeathMetal

Worst album title.
24.01.2020 - 21:21
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I was going through the upcoming albums list and this album title made me laugh out loud. And that artwork... wtf were they thinking? Oh well, never really cared about Delain anyway. Good luck fans, hope the music is ok at least.
06.02.2020 - 08:27
Rating: 10
annodomini

Even though I am Delain fan since the first ep, I'm still impressed by their evolution. The album isbthe heaviest, the most diverse and absolutely best since April rain. The direction which they took with Human Contradiction is exploading here into totally magnificent release. I mean the guitars, the melodies, vocal lines. Delain establishes their unique sound and since most of the Female fronted band have gone stale, I think we can crown Delain as a new Kings and Queens of the genre.
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.02.2020 - 17:43
HyperDrifter

Written by Guest on 24.01.2020 at 21:21

And that artwork... wtf were they thinking?

Don't judge a music album by it's cover! There are many decent albums with awful covers
06.02.2020 - 18:06
HyperDrifter

I was expecting something similar to "We Are the Others" considering the artwork.
Instead this a very diverse sounding album: Heavy in places, lighter in others and experimenting a bit without losing the core of the Delain "sound".
06.02.2020 - 20:28
annodomini

And I'd like to defend the Cover and the title a bit:
At first it might look odd, but judging from the music and lyrical themes, which varies between human relationships, environment and society issues, the title fits the record just right, as do the cover. It's a satire to todays world, taking an over the top approach and making fun of the situation.

After first 5 listens: this is definitely the freshest female fronted metal record I heard in years. 13 songs and almost no fillers (I still have trouble to get in Chemical Redemtpion). AOTY material for me.

And the Combustion...oh man what a track. Just finished headbanging, while chopping onions for the salad.
----
the riddle wants to be...
07.02.2020 - 11:32
Rating: 9
Enissa

After 4 listens, I can say that I really like this album. It is a departure (to a certain point) from their previous sound, and that may discourage fans from liking this album. However, I really like the heaviness on the majority of the songs, the heavy use of synthesizers, autotune on some tracks, and Charlotte sounds as great as ever.
11.02.2020 - 18:56
Elisyon

Love it! Amazing release.. these guys never fail to impress and Charlotte's voice is as great as ever. Check
12.02.2020 - 07:27
tiny dog ghosts

None of it is bad but all of it kinda blurs into one for me. I have to say I'm a bit let down but it's still a decently put together album
14.02.2020 - 15:51
xName

Everything about this album is well done. from the title and cover to lyrics and music. LOVED IT!
17.02.2020 - 05:52
Rating: 7
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Here is the main issue this album faces: The best songs get old fast. The rest sounds like filler.

To add to this... one of the album's strongest songs, Legions of the Lost, basically borrows the melody from "Sleepwalker's Dream," which begs the question as to if the band is running out of inspiration.

Not a bad album by any stretch - just a bit of a let down after their run of solid releases.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
25.02.2020 - 23:49
Estherous

This is easily AOTY material. usually bands experiment after a good release and it ends up badly, but not for Delain! I'm so in love with this!!
09.03.2020 - 14:46
Rating: 6
zakapior

Pretty average album to be honest, most of the songs are easily forgotten because there are none that stand out. I like the heavier approach on this one, hope it continues in their next works.
10.03.2020 - 03:09
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It's another good, solid - but nothing more than that - Delain record.

"Ghost House Heart" is lovely though, and "Masters of Destiny" is a great, great song.
18.03.2020 - 16:04
Elisyon

This album is so relevant right now
20.03.2020 - 06:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I want to punch everyone in the band for naming this album what it is.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.03.2020 - 11:36
nikarg

Very surprised at how enjoyable this album is and how diverse it sounds. I am saying good things about a sympho album, the world must be really coming to an end. Many standout tracks, I loved the "Show Must Go On" vibe of "Creatures", "Masters Of Destiny" is my favourite, and "Combustion" is a total banger of a closer.
30.03.2020 - 14:09
JoHn Doe

Written by nikarg on 27.03.2020 at 11:36

Very surprised at how enjoyable this album is and how diverse it sounds. I am saying good things about a sympho album, the world must be really coming to an end. Many standout tracks, I loved the "Show Must Go On" vibe of "Creatures", "Masters Of Destiny" is my favourite, and "Combustion" is a total banger of a closer.

Your comment made me go and give this band another chance.
I generally dislike this kind of music, but I found Delain to be quite enjoyable.

I'm giving the new album a second listen right now. It's quite fun TBH.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
14.04.2020 - 10:40
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

The good thing about Nightwish releasing crap is you get to focus on other bands in the genre. this is a pretty good album. Lots of different ideas and variety. Really enjoyed it
24.04.2020 - 17:31
musclassia

As funny as they presumably thought the artwork was, I feel like there must've been a way to do it to make it look less amateurish, as it gives off a pretty terrible impression. I gave the record a go because of all the positive comments on here, and I agree with most people that it's actually rather decent, so not sure why the packaging was so weird.
01.05.2020 - 14:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Are people really so easily provoked by a band referencing "Netflix and chill" in their album title?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.05.2020 - 14:41
JoHn Doe

^ I don't think people have a problem with the album title but more with the amateurish looking cover.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
01.05.2020 - 22:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JoHn Doe on 01.05.2020 at 14:41

^ I don't think people have a problem with the album title but more with the amateurish looking cover.

It's on par with all those bedroom brutal death metal bands with the shitty 3d graphic art using a free trial of Photoshop
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2020 - 07:56
tiny dog ghosts

Gave this another spin - I just don't think this album goes anywhere. It's the same song over and over.
11.06.2020 - 21:36
Rating: 9
Captain Laika

Written by annodomini on 06.02.2020 at 20:28

And I'd like to defend the Cover and the title a bit:
At first it might look odd, but judging from the music and lyrical themes, which varies between human relationships, environment and society issues, the title fits the record just right, as do the cover. It's a satire to todays world, taking an over the top approach and making fun of the situation.

After first 5 listens: this is definitely the freshest female fronted metal record I heard in years. 13 songs and almost no fillers (I still have trouble to get in Chemical Redemtpion). AOTY material for me.

And the Combustion...oh man what a track. Just finished headbanging, while chopping onions for the salad.

Completely agree with your interpretations on the album cover and title. And with your whole post actually.

10+ listens and I'm still enjoying this one a lot, I really like the overall concept and catchiness of the album. Many great songs, cool arrangements and outstanding vocals and production. Never thought I would say this, but Delain delivered an AOTY contender with this absolute banger of an album.
12.06.2020 - 18:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Band was good in the beginning....
----
rekt
17.06.2020 - 04:41
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
If this album was all filler and only had Master of Destiny it would still be one of the best albums of the genre in years. It doesn't have a single filler song. I second annodomini, this is AOTY material.
----
04.10.2020 - 11:25
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Definitely not the first album I was expecting ol' Nik to staff pick, but I have to agree that this is the best straightforward sympho metal album of the year (with Seven Spires a close second), and goes without saying the best Delain one too.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
04.10.2020 - 11:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 04.10.2020 at 11:25

Definitely not the first album I was expecting ol' Nik to staff pick...

Do they sell Knob Creek in Greece? Because that would explain it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.10.2020 - 13:29
nikarg

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.10.2020 at 11:57

Do they sell Knob Creek in Greece? Because that would explain it.

I wasn't drunk when I staff-picked it, lol. Not sure if they sell it here, didn't know what it was actually, had to google it.
Seriously though, the latest Delain album is so addictive and it goes very well when listened with the new Anaal Nathrakh back to back, which what I have been doing this Sunday morning.

Hits total: 6604 | This month: 31