Metal Storm logo
Anvil

17.06.2007 - 10:49
orathac
Account deleted
at 80's a Canadian Heavy Rythmic metal band called "Anvil" has showed up. with 14 studio album and a new coming out release. there aren't so famous as the should be only the lead guitarist/vocals "Lips" has a reputation in the metal world. so do you know Anvil and their great work? tell me your opinion.

Thank You....
20.06.2007 - 22:35
orathac
Account deleted
no one know Anvil?? too bad ... its a great band check them
21.06.2007 - 12:03
A.J Thunder

I've heard some anvil songs but i didnt think they were so special, not as catchy and so on.....

You should check out Goat Horns from the US.
At myspace you can listen to them and i would recommend you to listen to the song To the cliff. Now thats some eh Rythmic Heavy metal for you.
23.09.2007 - 09:41
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
First of all I have no idea where the rythmic shit comes in, that makes absolutely no sense. They are just a classic metal band who wasn't too special. There are much better classic metal bands.
23.09.2007 - 10:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.09.2007 at 09:41

First of all I have no idea where the rythmic shit comes in, that makes absolutely no sense. They are just a classic metal band who wasn't too special. There are much better classic metal bands.

They WERE special with their albums Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire, back in the day those two were released they were considered masterpieces, and still are by many people. I prefer Metal On Metal slightly over Frorged In Fire although Forged IN Fire does have Motormount on it.

Btw, thto the preson who says they released 14 stuio albums and the new is about to be released... the new one is released and only available at their concerts and from their website since it is self released but the new one is their THIRTEENTH studio album called THIS IS THIRTEEN
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2007 - 10:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 20.06.2007 at 22:35

no one know Anvil?? too bad ... its a great band check them

Look my metal colection mate
I know em, i like good metal band, awsome iMO oldest Can metal band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.10.2007 - 09:02
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2007 at 10:57

Written by Guest on 23.09.2007 at 09:41

They WERE special with their albums Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire, back in the day those two were released they were considered masterpieces, and still are by many people. I prefer Metal On Metal slightly over Frorged In Fire although Forged IN Fire does have Motormount on it.

Btw, thto the preson who says they released 14 stuio albums and the new is about to be released... the new one is released and only available at their concerts and from their website since it is self released but the new one is their THIRTEENTH studio album called THIS IS THIRTEEN

I suppose I could agree with that, those two albums were pretty good
26.10.2007 - 14:08
orathac
Account deleted
Hard 'N' Heavy is also a good album
but i prefer Forged In Fire its full of hell
27.10.2007 - 12:50
okt31
Account deleted
Metal on Metal and Forged in Fire are classics (the latter being my favourite, btw). But why doesn't anybody speak of the newer ones? All are great, Plugged in Permanent, Absolutely No Alternative, Speed of Sound, ... etc, etc, et cetera... The Wacken DVD which comes together with Back to Basics isa a very nice surprise
09.03.2009 - 15:42
DayFly

Written by Guest on 27.10.2007 at 12:50

Metal on Metal and Forged in Fire are classics (the latter being my favourite, btw). But why doesn't anybody speak of the newer ones? All are great, Plugged in Permanent, Absolutely No Alternative, Speed of Sound, ... etc, etc, et cetera... The Wacken DVD which comes together with Back to Basics isa a very nice surprise

Well, I guess that's because Anvil's original fan base favour traditional metal over the noisy thrash they played in the 90s. And I can't blame them. Rob Reiner's drumming is pretty good but the songs just aren't catchy and not as funny as they used to. It's a shame because the band is really likeable, more than any other I know.
09.03.2009 - 21:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 09.03.2009 at 15:42

Written by Guest on 27.10.2007 at 12:50

Well, I guess that's because Anvil's original fan base favour traditional metal over the noisy thrash they played in the 90s. And I can't blame them. Rob Reiner's drumming is pretty good but the songs just aren't catchy and not as funny as they used to. It's a shame because the band is really likeable, more than any other I know.

Another reason why no-one talks about their newer albums but keep on mentioning Metal on Metal and {b]Forged In Fire[/b] is because of the sheer onfluence those two albums have had on the development of the thrash scene whereas the newer albums weren't influential at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 23:28
ForeverDarkWoods

Anvil is one of those bands I listen to a bit but I don't hear a lot of people talk about. I have taken a fancy to the more underground classic heavy metal bands, and Anvil is among the better ones, along with my fellow countrymen Heavy Load, the British Satan, Riot from the US, Armored Saint, Pagan Altar and my fellow countrymen Axewitch.

Metal On Metal, Forged In Fire and Strength Of Steel are all very good records. The debut isn't as well polished and such, but it's still an entertaining listen though.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
15.03.2009 - 10:35
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Anvil is awesome, their song "free as the wind" is probably one of my favorites of theirs. long live Lips!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.06.2009 - 17:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Man these guys are RIDIN HIGH now, after Keanu Reeves presented their documentary at a celebrity-ridden premiere and AC/DC invited them to open their shows in Boston, now Bryan Adams wants to collaborate with them... i'm wondering if they enjoy all the sudden fame or they're just used to being an underground band..
16.06.2009 - 20:33
Zelse

Their documentary looks hilariously awful, I have a feeling I'm going to be so embarrassed for them the entire time I'll watch it.

That said, I looked into some of their stuff. Not good. Yiiiiiikes. No wonder they never got big.
16.06.2009 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zelse on 16.06.2009 at 20:33

That said, I looked into some of their stuff. Not good. Yiiiiiikes. No wonder they never got big.

Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire were actually really influential at the time of their release. They influenced a lot of the thrash movement at the time for instance.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 00:34
Zelse

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.06.2009 at 22:31

Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire were actually really influential at the time of their release. They influenced a lot of the thrash movement at the time for instance.

Don't get me wrong, I respect them well enough, but I can't stand the music. That's just me. But if you have 13 albums out and only two are of any merit... I dunno, that's just not a very good record, right? Especially when the second one was 26 years ago...
17.06.2009 - 03:18
Wyrd

I fucking love Anvil! My Dad even use to party with this guys when he was still living in Toronto!
I only have there First Record though, my Dad saad had it for 27 years Before he gave it to me
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
17.06.2009 - 12:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Wyrd on 17.06.2009 at 03:18

I only have there First Record though, my Dad saad had it for 27 years Before he gave it to me

So you finally got it from your dad last year?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 22:05
Wyrd

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2009 at 12:38

Written by Wyrd on 17.06.2009 at 03:18

So you finally got it from your dad last year?

yes I did!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
18.06.2009 - 15:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Saw the documentary, absolutely fantastic... i loved it at the end when the show in japan is JAM FUCKING PACKED at 11:35 AM... that's something you almost never see in europe
23.06.2009 - 22:39
Hellish Star

Running wild crazy and free
Being anything I want to be
Got no time for hanging around
Ain't nobody gonna tie me down
Spend my time doing what I please
Take the world on, got 'em on their knees
People think that I'm no good
Won't do the things they think I should

Life's confusing me and messin' me around
Don't know if I'm ever coming down
Got to get your mind out of my head
Leave me alone and live your life instead

Play my music way too loud
My hair's too long, I don't fit in the crowd
Leather jacket and denim jeans
Metal studs run down the seams
Times are hard but I don't care
'Cause if I want it I'll take my share
Talkin' life on a bit too steep
Outta my way or I'll bury you deep

Gotta stop pushin' shovin' me around
Gotta stop tryin' to put me down

Lotta people got a lot to say
But I'm doing things my own way
'Cause I'm free as the wind

Maybe someday they will understand
Just why I choose to be my own man
It doesn't matter I ain't gonna change
The master plan should be rearranged
Breaking rules is what I do
On the bad side it's a better view
If it's too loud then you're too old
Get the hell out 'cause you've been told

Gotta stop pushin' shovin' me around
Gotta stop tryin' to put me down

Lotta people got a lot to say
But I'm doing things my own way
'Cause I'm free as the wind

----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
21.05.2011 - 01:10
Ghostdancer

The documentary was good. Rob Reiner's toilet painting killed me. I couldn't quit laughing.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
18.10.2011 - 08:36
-Mayhem-

I saw an anvil documentary in TV here in Finland. It was rated 5/5 by a local newspaper so I decided to give a try. I don't know if I will ever buy their albums but the documentary sure made me laugh. IT was such an emotional and dramatic story of how everything goes wrong. I really enjoyed it so all the best to anvil and just keep going!
23.10.2011 - 13:47
JD
Account deleted
I felt in love with this band while watching That Metal Show, so what album should I start with, Metal On Metal?
23.10.2011 - 20:09
JD
Account deleted
So does the documentary dvd The Story of Anvil count as one of the band's official releases or not? because I can't see it in their discography.
23.10.2011 - 20:23
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.06.2009 at 22:31

I won't deny the influence but that doesn't make the music less mediocre and oudated for today's standards.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.02.2012 - 21:13
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Anvil Rules Metal On Metal and Forged In Fire are awesome albums by them
12.02.2012 - 08:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
These guys were interviewed by my local Newspaper, was an interesting read.

Too bad I missed the concert
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.02.2012 - 15:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I've watched their DVD a few months ago, not sure I posted here already.

I didn't know nothing about them but that DVD was intense.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram