09. Silence Of The Darkness
10. Anthem
11. EdenEcho
12. The Pendulous Fall [limited edition bonus]
13. Season's End [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
01. Ghost Opera [video]
+ Making Of Ghost Opera

I really like Kamelot, a band which knows in my opinion how to mix the puissance of European Power Metal with the Heavy Metal from USA. It's really good because Kamelot is unique and even if some of their songs are really "easy" on a side, it always works and it's always cool to listen to this band really. After a magisterial trilogy ("Karma", "Epica" and the "Black Halo") the new release "Ghost Opera" was really awaited by the fans of the band and well even if it's a good album, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed this time. I will let you know why right now.

I think that the main problem of "Ghost Opera" will be the comparisons with the three previous albums. You'll say that we can always find bad points on "Karma", "Epica" and the "Black Halo" but personally I really think that those three albums are all real masterpieces of Power Metal. "Ghost Opera" is not bad but I don't know why, something is missing here. Maybe that Kamelot just produces too many albums and wasn't so inspirited for this release, I don't know, but the fact is that "Ghost Opera" is not so catchy than the previous releases. We have some good things though and after a really nice introduction, the two first songs "Rule Of The World" and "Ghost Opera" follow the spirit of the "Black Halo" and I can tell you that they're good songs of Kamelot but they clearly lack of energy too and even if we have some jewels like "Love You To Death", "Morning Star" or "Silence Of The Darkness", the other tracks are ok but surprising for Kamelot. It's just different, not worst but darker and not so "in your face" if you see what I mean. "Ghost Opera" is maybe a bit more complex and even a bit more Prog so it's not so easy of access, plus, the songs in general are more some kind of mid-tempo compositions so don't except any "Farewell" or "Center Of The Universe"? unfortunately.

But "Ghost Opera" is an original album in the discography of Kamelot and even if it's not their best production in my opinion, it's good to see that Kamelot is able to change a bit their sound album after album. The fans will maybe be a bit disappointed by this new release but if they give some time to "Ghost Opera", I'm sure that they will start to understand it a bit more and see that after all, it's maybe a bit different but not so commercial too and a lot more complex than some previous releases and that's not a bad point. When you add that one more time the production by Sascha Paeth is perfect and that the performances of the musicians is really good (one more time) it's hard to criticize the work of Kamelot. Note finally that you'll be able to find some few guests this time (Simone Simon does some choruses for example).

"Ghost Opera" is maybe not the best Kamelot but this is a solid album of Power Metal nonetheless. One more time, be sure that you'll take some time to listen to this release because it's not so easy of access and can be a bit boring at the first listening when you compare it to the previous albums. But a lot of the songs are interesting and a lot more complex than the previous ones so give its chance to "Ghost Opera" please because I think that Kamelot proves one more time with this release that they know what good Power Metal is.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 18.06.2007

Guest review by
Constantinos
Rating:
A long time ago we were looking forward to the "Epica" album, an album like "Karma" but better. The same thing happened with "Ghost Opera". All of us, looking for an album like "The Black Halo" but better. But this time, I believe, things are completely different. I think that we can't compare Ghost Opera to another of Kamelot's album. The reasons are explained below...

Read more ››
published 24.03.2008 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 39   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 195 users
18.06.2007 - 14:04
en3rg1zer
Account deleted
Your right man, but I must say that I prefere Kamelot like this. The sound is more complex and I like that...
One thing is certain, Kamelot is still one of the best Power Metal bands of our times
18.06.2007 - 14:14
Talvi
Well, I think this album it's far better than those three. A matter of taste I guess...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
18.06.2007 - 18:01
Rating: 8
Etaín
Heh i was hooked after first listen ^^ But like you said, its very different than the ones before, but just as good in its own way i think.
18.06.2007 - 19:11
jartsi12
Account deleted
This album really bores me. Well, i'm still fan of the band but i hope the next album isn't so boring.
18.06.2007 - 22:10
Rating: 9
I totally agreen with this... not the best but really good none the less...if we compare it to the three previous albums.. but anyways its really good... good job..

ps: nice review too...:banger:
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
18.06.2007 - 22:37
Mr.Wilson
i agree...this album is a bit boring..it lakes the feeling of the previous ones!...but anyway it's not bad at all
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
18.06.2007 - 23:38
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
I thought it was boring in the begining, but after a few listens it really sticks to your mind. Especially the song "Silence Of The Darkness" and the ballad "Anthem". "Anthem" is the most motional song I've ever heard! Good job Kamelot, and great job Jeff on this review
19.06.2007 - 00:44
buttsechs
Account deleted
i liked it better than The Black Halo.
19.06.2007 - 01:19
Der Meister
Account deleted
A great fucken album is what this is! There doesn't seem to be an end to the awesomeness of Kamelot!
19.06.2007 - 01:52
Rating: 7
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
I heard bad reviews of this album, mainly from friends, and I had half a mind of not buying it, but after reading your review and some of the positive feedbacks in the comments (skipped the boring album comments) i think I will give it a try, and buy the album
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
19.06.2007 - 10:21
Rating: 5
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Bararey on 19.06.2007 at 01:52

I heard bad reviews of this album, mainly from friends, and I had half a mind of not buying it, but after reading your review and some of the positive feedbacks in the comments (skipped the boring album comments) i think I will give it a try, and buy the album

My thoughts exactly, im going to add it to my buy list afterall, i didnt think too much in buying it due to negative feedback, but yeh, things seem to be cleared up a bit.
20.06.2007 - 07:06
Feanor_666
Account deleted
I'm quite disappointed by Ghost Opera. Something lacks in it. Something that was in Karma, Epica and particularly Black Halo. There's the heavy part that lacks. There is no March Of Mephisto nor Black Halo in Ghost Opera. Everything sounds the same.
And I think that Kamelot wanted to make something more ''feeling'', as you will remark that all the guitar solos in this album are the same : not so fast, not long, and they're just there to create something emotionnal. They're good, but when it's like that in each song, it's quite boring. And they added a keyboard solo in Silence Of The Darkness.... horrible! The sound is ugly, and.. I don't know, you won't find it good!
Still I must admit that the fact that they used more orchestral songs is quite good. Ghost Opera, Up through the ashes, those are really good songs.
You will also find the power of When The Lights Are Down in Silence Of The Darkness, and the magic of Abandonned in Anthem.
And Khan is at its best, like always! The lyrics are awesome, and he sings them like a god! Just take The Human Stain. I hate the riff at the beginning, I hate the riff during the verses, I hate the riff and the rythm of the drum during the chorus. But Khan makes it so great! His voice is incredibly good! And that brings me to something else : the lyrics.
Again, it is some kind of suite to Black Halo, it's still talking about life and love. But you know you can't talk about love and the philosophy of life with a black metal riff. So the fresh and magical atmoshphere we find in The Human Stain and Love You To Death just fits SO MUCH with the lyrics! You'll nearly cry when hearing those two and reading the lyrics in the same time!
So if you want to taste the album completely, you must read the lyrics. They are the main and most succeeded part of the album.

To conclude, I think that emotionnal songs, with attractive and beatiful chorus are nice, but at least, do something heavy after! Damn! Make another Black Halo or Nothing Ever Dies, something fast and heavy! But still, even if I'm disappointed by the style of this album, Kamelot's performance is great, and those who search a good Power Metal album, this one would be just fine!
20.06.2007 - 16:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I really like this album, and I agree partially with this review. It's a different album, that's a fact, maybe not so catchy, maybe not as majestic as the previous ones, but it's a great album, Kamelot is exploring new ways of making music and they're making a great job at it, IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.06.2007 - 17:47
Infurnace
Ghost Opera, in my eyes, is a great album, although I have to agree with everybody, that this is an very different Kamelot album. But not in a negative way. This cd includes some really cool songs. It is more in a gothic vein now, but the power metal has not faded yet.
21.06.2007 - 18:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Pretty good album, although I havent listened to yet compleately I thought it has some really good tracks, but I do like Karma and Epica better (Karma is my fav album by them =D)
----
21.06.2007 - 19:17
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
It's far away to be a bad album, but I prefer "The Black Halo". But the exploration way engaged is very interesting.
22.06.2007 - 08:55
maidenist
Account deleted
It's no TBH, but after heavy rotation over the past week, perhaps the best analogy I can give is that Ghost Opera is to TBH what Empires was to Opeation Mindcrime. When you set the bar as high as they did on TBH, it's tough to match. GO is great, just not TBH.
25.06.2007 - 02:17
The Voice
Account deleted
Weird. Black Halo, When the lights are down, Nothing Ever Dies...not half as good as The Haunting or Soul Society, and i ve always preferred the speedy ones (Forever, Until Kingdom Come...wow). I dont mind following Kamelot's changes through the years, they can do it, Sonata Arctica for example just can't. As someone before me said, this is a band, it's not a one man show.

Compare Ghost Opera to Unia, yes do that please.

Keep it up Kams, you re great.

Btw, there's a band called Fall Of The Leafe, which really DID change a lot through the years, i guess most of you could appreciate Vantage (a gem) and their recent works, still the good old August Wernicke remains another very different gem.

....take on the breeze with your eyes closed....(The Fresco, Vantage, FOTL )
25.06.2007 - 17:00
LeDruide
Ghost Opera is a really good and interesting album, more progressive, slow and sometimes heavy than the previous ones, better than Epica and Th Black Halo. I'll say they're back to the atmosphere of Karma, but even more dark (just have a look at the booklet, awesome by the way) and with more slow rythms. They also put away the big orchestrations and chorus. The only bad point is the way Khan sings, it's really good, but he could have put some more "voice" sometimes.
In the end, it's a complex album, quite different from the others, you have to listen to without wanting another Black Halo. Karma is still my favourite, but this one comes second.
27.06.2007 - 16:22
Rathma
Account deleted
I knew they could never surpass TBH. But Ghost Opera was a decent try. Some tracks are really nice.
28.06.2007 - 00:47
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I'll try to listen first, but Kamelot really bores me, one of the most overrated bands out there, in my opinion. Only heard the title track, didn't find it very special at all. Khan is great, but that's it.
30.06.2007 - 23:17
Every song on the album kicks ass, the one I hate is Ghost Opera, that is the worst Kamelot song to date, but with others like Rule The World, The Human Stain(Best on the Album), Blucher, Mourning Star, Love You To Death, and Pendelous Fall definetly make up for it.
01.07.2007 - 22:05
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Jeff! Since when are Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo "a magisterial trilogy"? Karma had nothing to do with the subsequent two albums.. and don't forget The Fourth Legacy! Most people sadly seem to forget that masterpiece of power metal

About this album though, I agree with your review in many ways! It's certainly a new direction and they execute it well but I do feel the energy and inspiration - much more so than The Black Halo which I felt to be pretty dead and empty. Honestly, I was not expecting to enjoy The Ghost Opera but boy am I glad I picked it up. It exceeded my expectations!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
05.07.2007 - 11:30
Itoc
Trønder
There's a japanese bonus track called "Season's End", which is a beautiful song by Kamelot.
Still I know it was only released in Japan, but I simply can't find it
I've searched through many torrent sites, but still no luck
If you're from Japan, and have this track, please add it somewhere! I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who erally need this song!

Japanese Edition Bonus Track from Ghost Opera:

12. "Season's End"
05.07.2007 - 12:44
reaper210
Account deleted
im really disappointed this album is totally not kamelot they could have done it much better
but in the end its still good album but not like the previous albums of kamelot
08.07.2007 - 05:13
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
This album is great! but no its not as good as the three last albums, but still a high quality power metal!
----
12.07.2007 - 05:06
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 08.07.2007 at 05:13

This album is great! but no its not as good as the three last albums, but still a high quality power metal!

I completely agree, Ghost Opera is a great album but not the best. I think that The Black Halo it's better than this last work.
30.07.2007 - 19:23
HELLilac
Reading a few reviews from some various websites I didn't expect this album to be anything special at all. To my surprise after a few listen I realised it's just as good as the previous 2 (ok I think I like The Black Halo a bit more) and a tad better than Karma. I love the fact that it doesn't sound like a prequel to Epica/The Black Halo, that it can stand on it's own as a new chaptor with the enchancement of Kamelot's magic.

I do agree with the reviewer that this album is more complex and less accessible compare to the past 3 albums but I think I like it a bit more. I'd give it a 9.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
16.08.2007 - 20:26
Imraghil
great album. Its different than the previous ones. Ghost opera has better drums and heavy guitar riffs, but the keyboard makes it less hard and very medolic. TBH was an hard album and Ghost opera an medolic album. I dont know wich album is better... but one thing i do know. Kamelot is the best band!
14.09.2007 - 18:31
Alex13
Account deleted
I'm slightly disappointed. Kamelot's songwriting and sound is what made me like them DESPITE the fact they are a power metal band (im more into Progressive, Symphonic and VERY Heavy my self) Now it just sounds more... popish or commercial (more appropriate.. here) Its not bad, but it dont deserve more than 8. Me thinks 7.5 is fair

Hits total: 13473 | This month: 17