Style: Pagan black metal
Release date: December 2019

01. Tydeus
02. Atalanti
03. Danaides
04. Limniades
05. Colchis
06. Medea

If you want a break from black metal dealing with Satanism, nihilism/misanthropism, the void in all its forms, Odin and Valhalla, frostbitten mountains and snow-covered forests, and all the other cliché themes associated with the genre, try out Kawir. And if murder-filled, revenge-fuelled and tragedy-stricken Greek mythology is not an apt theme for this type of music, I don't know what is.

Αδράστεια (or Adrasteia) is the title of the latest offering by Hellenic folksy black metal lyricists Kawir, and it is a concept album like the one that came before it. While Exilasmos was about appeasing the gods' wrath after two dynasties nearly exterminated each other, Adrasteia (the goddess associated with female revenge) focuses on heroic but also bloodthirsty women and the cruelty surrounding them (or often caused by them). To give you an example, "Limniades", the first song revealed before the album's release, is about the women of Limnos island who neglected the worship of Aphrodite. As punishment, the goddess made these women smell so bad that their husbands abandoned them and took concubines from Thrace. Limniades then took their revenge by killing every man on the island, including the king. I can tell you from experience that you don't want to piss a Greek woman off.

Enough with the ancient myths though. As far as the music is concerned, the album is an amalgam of the two that preceded it. Kawir's offering to the gods features the folk/pagan garlands that overflowed Πάτερ Ήλιε Μήτερ Σελάνα (Father Sun Mother Moon), as well as the bloody black metal and the classic heavy metal libations that Exilasmos was poured with. Ceremonial hymns, heroic marching, blastbeating aggression and melodic splendour are all in play in this album. The two tracks that excel in blending all of the above are "Atalanti" and especially the astounding closer "Medea", which may even be the best specimen in Kawir's discography. For a group that has been around for nearly three decades, this is no small feat.

Adrasteia flows effortlessly because the band managed to keep things short and concise, with the album clocking in at just under 41 minutes. The guests on it actually do have a role and are not just there for the credits. Criminally underrated Macabre Omen's mainman Alexandros is the one behind the clean invocations, Melechesh's Ashmedi has offered a guitar solo on "Danaides", and Wardruna's Lindy-Fay Hella's ethereal voice on "Colchis" could melt the ice on the peaks of mount Olympus.

Adrasteia is Kawir's familiarly violent sonic portrait once again drenched in deep lyricism that is achieved thanks to the traditional folk instrumentation and the compelling narrative. Quorthon would be proud and those women in Limnos would approve.

"Ο Καλυδώνιος υιός του Οινέα, πλημμυρισμένος απ' οργή
Ορμάει στη μάχη
Ο σκληρόκαρδος Τυδέας, ο τιμωρός του αδίκου"

(Oeneus's Calydonian son, filled with wrath
Throws himself into battle
Tydeus the hard-hearted, the punisher of injustice)

Written on 10.01.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 136 users
10.01.2020 - 18:49
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Imagine thinking the gods live on that hill over there and that their leader is a horndog
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.01.2020 - 18:53
nikarg
Staff
Written by RaduP on 10.01.2020 at 18:49

Imagine thinking the gods live on that hill over there and that their leader is a horndog

Sounds better than any of today's alternatives
10.01.2020 - 23:00
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Man, Norse Mythology can fuck right off. Greek Mythology has always been more interesting and exciting. Odin wishes he was as metal as Atalanta.
10.01.2020 - 23:15
nikarg
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.01.2020 at 23:00

Man, Norse Mythology can fuck right off. Greek Mythology has always been more interesting and exciting. Odin wishes he was as metal as Atalanta.

I quite like Norse mythology to be honest. But Greek mythology is so full of violence, lust/perversion and tragedy and in that way it's more metal; at least to me. But I'm not really objective as you can imagine.

The song on this album about Atalanta ("Atalanti") is absolutely magnificent.
11.01.2020 - 13:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I love mythology , European are my fav, even I like Indianian, nativ Americans, you know God Kukelkan,
Greek is interesting . Charon as boat man, save some coins when sailing down to river Styx to land of Hades. Charon dont accept credit card and bank transfer.
In some way its a bit helrunar where singer studied old languages in university of Munster and sings icelandic, here you can hear that singer knows a bit more as mainstream party greeks knows about history. I like that this band chose own country, like Arkona sings about perun, Skyforger about perkons and usins. We cant blame that Amon Amarth and Månegarm likes Odin and Valhalla, it was in home land. But if you go this way and can play good music whit good riffs, true Bm sound and each album is different in sound but its Kawir. Its an art
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2020 - 13:53
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
While I agree about Greek mythology metal being underappreciated, I'm still waiting for some good Zoroastrian metal
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
11.01.2020 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 11.01.2020 at 13:53

While I agree about Greek mythology metal being underappreciated, I'm still waiting for some good Zoroastrian metal

That reliogon born and mid east, Persia, Iraq, unless you wont want hear anti revolutionary guard songs you need wait. Many from that area worships viking and Odin, maybe some celtic gods, not local.
Metal there are you know, and those who play likes st. ann or other themes, so it wont happen,
Oriantal folk metal is closerst you can get
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2020 - 14:17
nikarg
Staff
Written by RaduP on 11.01.2020 at 13:53

Thy shall receive that too
18.01.2020 - 21:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Greek mythology in 5 words: "Unfortunately, Zeus was feeling horny"

Great review man. Though I don't spin it that often, Isotheos really is probably one of my most enjoyed BM albums from last decade. Have yet to spin this one but will definitely be getting around to it soon! I love Kawir's penchant for more midpaced black metal, plus the flute and classical Greek lyrics are fucking EPIC
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3610 | This month: 14