Metal Storm logo
Borknagar

27.05.2006 - 21:17
Ernis
狼獾
I really did not know how to decide....whether to make this thread into the extreme or to the melodic metal forum but I guess people who know better than me, shall move it if my decision did not please them...I just did not recall where the thread was in the old forum...

Be that as it may....I have never said a word in this fourm about Borknagar but now I just have to put down my words. In my opinion they are men who make most beautiful music of their kind and it is full of strength and inspiration....currently I am not in a exhilarated mood....I am rather desperate but listening to the Olden Domain helped me to put down all these heavy thoughts and feelings in my soul into words....I put down an extract for my book and I say that this music created most right atmosphere for my work.....
I have only good things to say about them...but anyway....now it is your turn...share your experiences......
28.05.2006 - 08:22
Trifixion
Account deleted
Borknagar is definetly a great and unique band. You described them very well, they have alot of power and beauty behind their music, and just about every cd (that I've heard) keeps that going. I like Empiricism especially.
02.07.2006 - 00:38
LethargyMan

I actually remember liking this band ever since I heard one of their songs back in 2001, but it took me until today to actually buy a Borknagar album. I picked up Epic just a while ago and I'm really digging that "Black/Folk/Prog" thing they have going for them. Also, their lyrics aren't shallow, which is always a plus in my book.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
02.07.2006 - 04:01
Daru Jericho

I like the prog in their music! This band is pretty uninque. Epic seems to be their most loved and indeed it is a great effort but I think Empiricism deserves another mention.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

02.07.2006 - 17:36
L S Death
Account deleted
Have been a fan of this band for a while now, and enjoy all of thier albums. My favorite would have to be Empiricism due to the song writing, it just seems more complete than Epic (Not to say that Epic was bad). I'm eagerly waiting for the new semi-acoustic album they plan to release later this year.
03.07.2006 - 01:59
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I really think I should learn more about/listen to this band...I have only heard 'Matter and Motion' and I was very impressed. But, I take it they aren't just a piano band lol. I'll definitely check them out after reading all this.
03.07.2006 - 21:51
Tyrant Of Souls
Account deleted
An excellent band indeed, though, i really prefer the vocals of either Garm or Simen Hastnaes instead of Vintersorg's, I think they fit Borknagar's music better and well, The olden domain and Quintessence alongside the debut are my favs...
04.07.2006 - 09:07
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I hadnt heard this band before and just purchased their self title. Glad I did get the album, im really enjoying it and im on the second listen to the album im hearing alot of stuff i missed the first time round. I love the atmosphere that the album has, also the accoustic guitars add alot of atmosphere and (sound kind of weird but,) insperation or something? I dont know, but enjoying it alot.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
04.07.2006 - 10:01
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
yea i found it good too, LOVED the accoustics man
17.08.2006 - 16:01
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
So far I only heard two albums of this band and gotta admit I decided to give them a listen due to Vortex being in the band, cause I'm a great fan of his! And well, The Archaic Course struck me really hard! It's an awesome album, same is Quintessence. Yepp, they mix prog with black, but I still think prog is very minimalized, which I like (hate prog though), and that makes this band, as you said, unique. And still Vortex's vocals are unbeatable, he makes each and every song so goddamn powerful! I think he is sometimes very underrated by some people, as we know he participates in quite some bands as bass player and vocalist, and everyone's like ''oh the previous singer was better than Vortex''. I think you just need to clean your ears, he adds a lot of uniqueness to each and every song! *huge Vortex fan*
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.08.2006 - 02:58
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
I really like their first four albums. My personal favourite is "The Oldain Domain" and then "The Archaic Course". I prefered them better with Vortex on vocals. Everytime i hear "Colossus" it sounds so amazing. I don't like so much Vintersong (i like his black metal vocals but not his clean ones) and Garm was amazing but i think he didn't fitted so much in Borknagar.
19.08.2006 - 04:33
Bitch Boy

An excellent band. Empiricism is a master piece, and it has my two favorite Borknagar songs. I would define them as progressive melodic black.
19.08.2006 - 18:46
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Borknagar are amazing.
20.08.2006 - 00:01
Ernis
狼獾
Borknagar strongly associated with the environment of Silent Hill for me....their music also depicts the heaven for me.....forests and snowy mountains....they seem rather perfect for me....this has a special place in my heart...
21.08.2006 - 04:21
Alastor Scourge
Account deleted
The great mighty Borknagar! Full of power, inspiration and magic... i remember when i began to heard them, i was so impressed... I only have The Olden Domain and The Arcaic Course... but what i've heard of their later works is awsome..
23.08.2006 - 04:51
Vintervarg
Account deleted
Both Vortex and Vintersorg are great! But, "Colossus" is the best song ever. "Empiricism" and "Epic" rulz, too.
26.08.2006 - 11:22
FOOCK Nam

I love Borknagar, the song Epic have progressive combined black metal element, the Olden Domain album and The Arcaic Course one sounds very romantic of epic.
20.09.2006 - 00:24
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Only "The Olden Domain".. very beautiful, epic yet raw album, with a very dirty sound and melodies that chill the bones... when Borknagar adopted a crystal-clear production since "Quintessence", I lost my interest in their music.
22.09.2006 - 18:21
Hyvaarin

Written by Bitch Boy on 19.08.2006 at 04:33

Empiricism is a master piece, and it has my two favorite Borknagar songs.

What are they?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
23.09.2006 - 02:38
Bitch Boy

Written by Hyvaarin on 22.09.2006 at 18:21

Written by Bitch Boy on 19.08.2006 at 04:33

Empiricism is a master piece, and it has my two favorite Borknagar songs.

What are they?

"Gods of my world" and "The genuine pulse"
27.09.2006 - 18:16
TLZ
Account deleted
One of my favorite bands. Can't say I've heard they early stuff(I only know them from Quintessence and forward..) but this stuff is really cool. Really atmospheric, it's in no way black metal but although you can here that they have roots in it. Collossus is fucking epic, the music, lyrics everything is just imeense. I dream and philopize myself away when I listen to that tune.

They are in these times coming up with an acoustic effort, a new song has been posted. Sounds promissing if you ask me!
(MS wrote about it: http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3013)
13.10.2006 - 14:04
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Awesome band, I really love the clean vocals, which is surprising for me.
15.11.2006 - 02:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I just finished listening to 'The Olden Domain.' I just bought it today and on the first listen I can easily say that is was one of the most refreshing listens I've had in a long time. Now that I think about it as a whole, it was absolutely beautiful. The highlight for me was of course Garm's vocals, but everything else was fantastic too. I will definitely have to pick up some more of their albums, but I can't really imagine anyone beating Garm's perfermance as I know he isn't present on any other albums other than this one and their self titled debut. Can anyone compare that one to this one? By the way, I have also heard bits of their new acoustic album, which is quite nice also.
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.12.2006 - 03:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 13.10.2006 at 14:04

Me too I love thos eceland vocal parts in them music specely in song ''The Dawn Of The End'' and ''Ocian Rise'' amazing, I cants ay nothig how AMAZING
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2006 - 03:30
Bitch Boy

@ Vidrageon: that's why I love "Gods of my world", the voice is awesome in that song.
06.03.2007 - 16:40
Pinusar
Account deleted
I have only listened to "The Olden Domain", so I can only comment on that album and not on the band as a whole, unfortunately. It seems the atmosphere their music makes and my feelings about their songs are similar to most of the other people. I can see the snowcovered dark forests, primordial power and majesty, winter etc. I really love the atmosphere. Also on the technical side, their music impresses me, the change of vocal styles to clean and the use of piano is really great. Great music, and I also have to listen to the rest of their stuff.
10.03.2007 - 14:59
Anathemani@c

Maybe one of the really few balck metal acts that I like...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
10.05.2007 - 21:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I recently bought five of their albums. I must say, this is one really tight band. I am not a fan of most Black Metal, but the way they use melodic elements with Progressive overtones really works well. Borknagar has become a new favorite of mine.

Just on a side not, does anyone know any other bands like them?
----
(space for rent)
11.05.2007 - 19:26
Lathronniel

Written by Guest on 23.08.2006 at 04:51

Both Vortex and Vintersorg are great! But, "Colossus" is the best song ever. "Empiricism" and "Epic" rulz, too.

hmm yeah but u rather listen the older ones...i love Vintersorg as Vintersorg...
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
11.05.2007 - 19:28
Lathronniel

Written by Guest on 13.10.2006 at 14:04

me same for the clean vocals but in some tracks they are too much added...love ur thyrfing thing
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...