Metal Storm logo
Borknagar

Original post

Posted by Ernis, 27.05.2006 - 21:17
I really did not know how to decide....whether to make this thread into the extreme or to the melodic metal forum but I guess people who know better than me, shall move it if my decision did not please them...I just did not recall where the thread was in the old forum...

Be that as it may....I have never said a word in this fourm about Borknagar but now I just have to put down my words. In my opinion they are men who make most beautiful music of their kind and it is full of strength and inspiration....currently I am not in a exhilarated mood....I am rather desperate but listening to the Olden Domain helped me to put down all these heavy thoughts and feelings in my soul into words....I put down an extract for my book and I say that this music created most right atmosphere for my work.....
I have only good things to say about them...but anyway....now it is your turn...share your experiences......
12.05.2007 - 11:05
GT
Coffee!!
Written by LethargyMan on 02.07.2006 at 00:38

I actually remember liking this band ever since I heard one of their songs back in 2001, but it took me until today to actually buy a Borknagar album. I picked up Epic just a while ago and I'm really digging that "Black/Folk/Prog" thing they have going for them. Also, their lyrics aren't shallow, which is always a plus in my book.

I second that. Have only heard the stuff with Vintersorg so I don't have an opinion on the other stuff yet, but if it is as good as the before mentioned I have to check it out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.01.2008 - 02:17
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
whats a good borknagar album to start off with? whats their best work?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
28.01.2008 - 12:30
TLZ
Account deleted
BurbotsRevenge: Tough question, also I might not be the best man to answer it as I am only familiar with their 4 last albums and not their first.

I guess it depends on what music you prefer. Although Borknagar was founded by people who was tired of black metal and wanted to go in another direction people have told me that their first album have very strong black sound going through it, with some folky/viking touches. Very many call Borknagar black metal, but it's not really right. It's black rooted, but aside from their first album they're not really black. That's not to say that you won't enjoy them if you like black metal. Anyway, I'll just try to describe the albums to my best. Quintessence is a very epic focused album, although there are prog and folk in it it's not overely obvious and it's more of a general epic(but not in the power metal way). This songs also features Mr. Hæstnes(aka. ICS Vortex) of Dimmu Borgir and late Arcturus. This album got what many would say is their best song, and what most would say is their most larger-than-life epic song. Collossus. The name is perfect. The production is fairly thick, although still far from modern Dimmu Borgir standards, but did still get som criticism for not having clear enough sound on the drums. Empiricism is their next effort. I would say it is one headed both more in folk and prog direction, although still retaining the signature Borknagar-epic touch to it. Probably more folk focused than prog, although there are things such as geniunie Hammond-organs on this album. Some of their song lyrics are also very interesting, such as the intro to the first track: "The gods are great. I am the greatest!". Epic is well, epic. Not very different from the previous album, but still evolving. Even stronger prog-innfluence on this one. btw. When I say prog I do NOT mean Dream Theater, but I mean the 70s, Hammond organs and stuff like that. You won't find much guitar-wanking on Borknagar's albums. Their last effort Origin is a pure folk/acoustic album. It's not as radical as you think, of course it is very different but it really still does sound Borknagar like fuck. Still some prog stuff left way in the background but it's much more folk-focused. (So I wouldn't compare it to Opeth's Damnation.) To be honest I haven't gotten into this album so much yet, but it's very interesting for now. Not as epic as their earlier stuff, but still retaining their sound. It seems very nature inspired, something you can also read in their lyrics.

Ok, that's it, I hope this was helpful in getting you into this awesome band.
25.03.2008 - 16:50
LSD-25
Account deleted
The 1st three albums are are second to none, this music fits perfectly after a blasphemy of head and brings your back into the darkness which is subtle, moreover IMO these albums are essentially black without fast riffs or tormenting drums....and what is interesting that "infernus" of gorgoroth was taking care of bass duties in their 1st album.

So guys if someone wants to know what "BORKNAGAR" music is all about start from scratch you will not be dissappointed, Besides IMO whatever was dished out post The Archaic Course is mediocre in comparison to the 1st 3 albums.
01.01.2009 - 16:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dane Train on 10.05.2007 at 21:27

I recently bought five of their albums. I must say, this is one really tight band. I am not a fan of most Black Metal, but the way they use melodic elements with Progressive overtones really works well. Borknagar has become a new favorite of mine.

Just on a side not, does anyone know any other bands like them?

Maybe it's too late to say this... But if you're still interested on Borknagar you can also try Vintersorg. It's a good band and it has aquite similar genre
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2009 - 17:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2009 at 16:58

Maybe it's too late to say this... But if you're still interested on Borknagar you can also try Vintersorg. It's a good band and it has aquite similar genre

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know that band so I'll check them out. Thanks again!
----
(space for rent)
01.01.2009 - 17:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dane Train on 01.01.2009 at 17:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2009 at 16:58

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know that band so I'll check them out. Thanks again!

No problem.. I hope you'll like them. They have the same style of lyrics and the same vocalist [who also writes the lyrics I think...]

Try the song "A Dialouge With The Stars" [and no,.. that's not an In Flames cover lol]
Well... I shall stop to talk about Vintersorg since this is another thread jejeje.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2009 - 11:01
Ieag
Account deleted
Borknagar is superb! Love the older albums, at least. Simen's voice is very good. Wonder why he can't use it the same way in Dimmu. Olden Domains is my favourite.
02.03.2009 - 04:20
Galar
Wicked Mung
The Archaic Course is soooo DAMN good I can't get over it...especially Ocean's rise. Hope their new material can go back to their older routes!!!!!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
02.03.2009 - 10:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quintessence was one of my first black metal albums and has thus become an album of great nostalgia. Oddly enough I never really got into any of their other releases but I'll always love Quintessence.
22.06.2009 - 01:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Galar on 02.03.2009 at 04:20

The Archaic Course is soooo DAMN good I can't get over it...especially Ocean's rise. Hope their new material can go back to their older routes!!!!!

My favorite album also... highly addicting!

This is probably my favorite band all time. They are not the best in their genre, but their songs scar me for life

Metaphysical lyrics are always interesting also, and with that atmosphere... perfect.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.06.2009 - 02:32
Doomed
Account deleted
This badn is so great ,,,they have their own atmospher and the lyrics are so great
and i love "epic" this my fav album for them
26.06.2009 - 08:31
Throne Dweller

I don't need to reiterate what others have said, so I'll just chip in my little woe.
Liking it all, I would have to most definitely prefer the albums which have ICS as a vocalist to Vintersorg.
27.06.2009 - 21:19
Ernis
狼獾
How come everyone seems to be forgetting about Garm who was the original vocalist and recorded the two first albums (most magical)....everyone's always mentioning ICS and Vintersorg....but there were the two first masterpiece albums....unforgettable ones....
29.06.2009 - 03:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 27.06.2009 at 21:19

How come everyone seems to be forgetting about Garm who was the original vocalist and recorded the two first albums (most magical)....everyone's always mentioning ICS and Vintersorg....but there were the two first masterpiece albums....unforgettable ones....

not me because I like more secend album how others,even ewery album is good from band
''Borknagar'' album awesome album artwork and more BM album how others whit our prog elements, I heard it once, I have secend its awesoem to, but my fav song is 'Ocean Rise'' from The Archaic Course
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.06.2009 - 04:58
Throne Dweller

I like their more Black metal/Avant-garde approach; because to me the progressive elements seem forced and don't flow as well.
30.06.2009 - 23:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Throne Dweller on 30.06.2009 at 04:58

I like their more Black metal/Avant-garde approach; because to me the progressive elements seem forced and don't flow as well.

same all bands who start use leyboards and play whit prog elements ruin all, some less some more
----

apos;'
[image]
08.09.2009 - 01:46
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
The band has completed work on its forthcoming album, "Universal" (which is expected for an early 2010 release). The first episode covering the recording process for the new album can be viewed at this location. Enjoy.
11.01.2010 - 13:33
BudDa

Borknagar has scheduled a listening party for their new album entitled "UNIVERSAL",
on Sunday February 14th, at EXIT in Chicago Illinois.1315 W. NORTH AVE
Borknagar drummer David Kinkade will be on hand from 10pm until 4am, as guest DJ for the event.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
14.02.2010 - 22:30
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
An amazing band with fantastic lyrics. A song like Colossus...Free your mind and let it fly...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
23.09.2010 - 09:43
Jiri

Me attempting to sing like the Borknagar vocalists. Which one do I sound the most alike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKm8eUmcNSI
22.04.2011 - 23:34
Wyrd

ISC Vortex is now a permanent member of the band again.

http://www.artisannorway.com/702/ics-vortex-back-with-borknagar/
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
16.02.2020 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Century Media Records
13 February at 16:38 ·
Borknagar update us on their live activities and begin their North American tour next month!

Read more https://www.facebook.com/centurymedia/posts/10158161513824656?__tn__=K-R
----

apos;'
[image]