05. Nippon Knights
06. Shuriken Showdown
07. Wasabi Warmachine
08. Wrath Of The Dragongod
09. Astral Assassin Shark Attack
10. Space Ninjas From Hell
11. Cosmic Space Commando Base
12. Shinobi Strike 3000

I do like my fair share of cheesy power metal, but for the love of God, Victorius, I didn't need to be reminded in 2020 that Annoying Orange was a thing.

If anyone from Victorius reads this review, I'm sorry if I make a good enough chunk of this review more about my own experiences with power metal rather than your album in particular. We'll get to that too, but after you decided to include an Annoying Orange skit in "Wasabi Warmachine", you're not making it very easy. I'm not generally into power metal, or at least not that keen to check out new power metal. I like Blind Guardian and Helloween enough, but not to the same enthusiasm that most others do and I certainly can't say I ever get excited for a new power metal album, not even from those big names whose tried and tested formulas I enjoy. Which makes it even harder for newer bands to enter my graces. I was surprised to like that Thornbridge album so much last year, so I'm hoping I find at least one thing power metal this year that works for me and is from a band I haven't heard before.

One trend that I noticed and I was fairly fond of in regards to power metal last decade was the juvenilisation (I know that's not an actual word) of power metal. Basically power metal that doesn't really take itself too seriously and takes the cheesy aspect of it to the maximum. I mean, if power metal is to be cheesy regardless, why go for moderate levels of cheese instead of obscene quattro formaggi power metal like Gloryhammer, Twilight Force and to some degree even DragonForce. I feel like me and others tend to be fonder of this type of over-the-top power metal due to an internalized need to "show" power metal. If normal power metal is something we can't take seriously, we'll show it by only liking power metal that isn't meant to be taken seriously. Is it just power metal's fault by not really evolving much in the past few decades or are we actually internalizing disapproval? Which leads us to Space Ninjas From Hell.

Germany's Victorius have released some more normal power metal before but it seems they jumped on the overly cheesy bandwagon with their previous and equally juvenile EP, Dinosaur Warfare - Legend Of The Power Saurus. Now with Space Ninjas From Hell it seems like they wanted to create the power metal version of an anime version of Kung Fury. Even just one look at the cover art should be enough to know what you're getting into. Taking away the goofy themes and the ... ugh ... Annoying Orange sample ... it's perfectly fine power metal. Soaring vocals, fast guitars and keyboards, barely audible bass, a shitload of adrenaline; you know the drill. I don't know how much better I can describe it since I can't really pinpoint anything too different from the sea of power metal out there other than the surface level stuff I already discussed. I just know that it's pretty well executed and for what it's worth, if I can enjoy it with or without the goof, it's worthwhile for anyone into power metal.

So it's fast, like really fast. And it's cheesy, like really cheesy. Please, David Sandberg, direct a movie adaptation of this album's plot.

Written on 20.01.2020 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
Yeah, this album is cheesier than a Swiss raclette... Victorius went full overboard with cheesy lyrics and themes in Space Ninjas From Hell. But let's be honest, that's exactly what you would expect from an album with that title and cover art. But the question is, did Victorius make good cheese?

Actually, let's start with the lyrics. If you aren't a fan of cheeky B-movie style themes, then this record is not something for you. It reminds me of a videogame called Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon in a lot of ways. Yes, it's over the top and yes, it's silly, but it's a lot of fun too.

Read more ››
published 30.05.2020 | Comments (5)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 114 users
20.01.2020 - 19:09
Dinruth

Had to google what an annoying orange is.. anyway .. given the band a try, and I ahve to agree that it is well executed, but was too cheesy for me .. and I like Rhapsody
21.01.2020 - 00:28
nikarg

Written by Dinruth on 20.01.2020 at 19:09

Had to google what an annoying orange is..

Me too.

I couldn't even make it halfway and I love ninja stuff
21.01.2020 - 01:38
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 21.01.2020 at 00:28

Written by Dinruth on 20.01.2020 at 19:09

Had to google what an annoying orange is..

Me too.

I couldn't even make it halfway and I love ninja stuff

I'm sorry I made you go through that
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.01.2020 - 05:14
Rating: 8
illumipony

Written by RaduP on 21.01.2020 at 01:38

I'm sorry I made you go through that

Every once in awhile I'll remember that channel exists, look it up, and then be dumbfounded to find out they still put out videos and occasionally pull in over a million views.
21.01.2020 - 05:57
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I'll give it a listen because, who knows, maybe the music is good.

But this just feels like a cheap attempt to ride the coattails of Gloryhammer's success.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
21.01.2020 - 13:06
sonofdeath

Cheesy like an omette au fromage, but the execution is done well.
----
----When I drop dead, could you place a sixpack of beer besides me? I've heard it's quite hot in hell----
27.01.2020 - 16:45
VIG
Account deleted
Annoying Orange for President 2020
28.01.2020 - 05:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 27.01.2020 at 16:45
Annoying Orange for President 2020

You don't have to be rude, just refer to him as Donald Trump like the rest of us.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.01.2020 - 05:07
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.01.2020 at 05:06

You don't have to be rude, just refer to him as Donald Trump like the rest of us.

I actually didn't realize that connection to Trump until right after I made the post, I was just trying to make a joke about the actual Annoying Orange from the TV show, swear to god
28.01.2020 - 08:45
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Guest on 28.01.2020 at 05:07

I actually didn't realize that connection to Trump until right after I made the post, I was just trying to make a joke about the actual Annoying Orange from the TV show, swear to god

Don't fuck around, I already saw your #maga hat
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 2598 | This month: 6