Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by , 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
29.04.2009 - 11:49
ANGEL REAPER

I culdn't agree with you more....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.06.2009 - 17:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
If you can do the vocals you want but they just cannot last so much then you need only one thing: PRACTISE. many hours growling will solve your problem...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.06.2009 - 16:05
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
You actually have to bark to get a vocals similar to Kidman, its quite tricky to start. Some times he sounds like Randy Blythe of LoG
25.06.2009 - 16:57
The Night Wisher

Hello guys !!
I am trying to learn some death vocals , but it seems way too hard I've got better since i've first tried 2 months ago , can someone give me some tips or advices about that technique ? ?
26.06.2009 - 17:12
Throne Dweller

Written by The Night Wisher on 25.06.2009 at 16:57

Hello guys !!
I am trying to learn some death vocals , but it seems way too hard I've got better since i've first tried 2 months ago , can someone give me some tips or advices about that technique ? ?

It depends what technique you're after. Each technique comes with different practice.

More so, you'll almost never sound the same as somebody since your voice is most likely not audibly exactly the same.
28.06.2009 - 16:38
The Night Wisher

I don't know what technique I use , I just need a whole method to learn it ...
30.06.2009 - 05:04
Throne Dweller

What do you want to sound like?
01.07.2009 - 06:41
Lord TJ

Written by The Night Wisher on 28.06.2009 at 16:38

I don't know what technique I use , I just need a whole method to learn it ...

Read through this thread, youll find lots of tips.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
06.07.2009 - 22:28
ANGEL REAPER

Written by The Night Wisher on 25.06.2009 at 16:57

Hello guys !!

TIPS:
1.READ ALL POSTS ON THIS TREAD!!!
2.Check all links here....
3.Read everything that you can about growling....
4.Practice step by step
5.For aditional info/help/whatever write on this thread,someone will respond(including me)

Seems to me that you a beginner ,so general advice is:IF YOU FEEL THE PAIN YOU DO SOMETHING WRONG! STOP ,REST AND TRY AGAIN!!!
BY the way it took me about year and a half to learn and perform such vocals...
Whis you luck!!!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.07.2009 - 16:59
The Night Wisher

Written by Throne Dweller on 30.06.2009 at 05:04

Well , let's say something like "Mark Jansen" of Epica .
08.07.2009 - 13:30
Throne Dweller

Well, from what I've just heard he does the guttural gurgle. I haven't actually figured out how to gurgle properly yet so I can't really help. But this information should make your life easier via google.
09.07.2009 - 22:35
ANGEL REAPER

Written by The Night Wisher on 07.07.2009 at 16:59

Its also important that you know your voice range.If you have high voice range it will be hard to you to do deep growls (also reverse).But if you got the nice clean vocals then you'll better not do growling --->you'll probably destroy your own woice...

Whis you luck!!!!
----
09.07.2009 - 23:56
The Night Wisher

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.07.2009 at 22:35

Written by The Night Wisher on 07.07.2009 at 16:59

Its also important that you know your voice range.If you have high voice range it will be hard to you to do deep growls (also reverse).But if you got the nice clean vocals then you'll better not do growling --->you'll probably destroy your own woice...

Whis you luck!!!!

WEll , I've heard that vocal range has nothing to do with Growls , but anyway my vocals as I guess is Bass , so I won't corrupt anything anyway here is a demo of my vocals singing "Sweating Bullets" - Megadeth : http://www.zshare.net/audio/62450253c3917443/
10.07.2009 - 18:01
gwarscumdog

Well I have tryed plenty of times at deep vocals the lowest for me is probably DEATH that or GOD FORBID mostly DEATH. Yeah its all about practice getting your vocals into that rhythm to where you want it. Growling, eating hot foods actually helps not kidding. Like barking hard thats just all. The more the darker and deeper you get. Probably to Brendon Small DETHKLOK. By the way when you sing like that drink only lukewarm water. Cold or hot can strain your vocals and if your throaght doesn't heal write loss of voice.
13.07.2009 - 23:11
ANGEL REAPER

AS I SAD I WISH YOU LUCK
----
14.07.2009 - 19:28
Yooden

I didn´t hear any change in the quality or tone of my voice, it just felt better.
Though, I´ve gone back to only water cause I kept forgetting to buy milk for rehearsals

Maybe when fall hits again and the air will get dryer I´ll drink milk again.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
13.08.2009 - 20:56
dEAthB3D

I found tea, ginger and smoke very helpful for me...

voice come from my abdos.... not from the throat
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
14.08.2009 - 04:28
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Milk is not good for the throat because it cause phlegm. @Yooden
@deathbed I usually use some tea and honey when I perform with my chorus too.
15.08.2009 - 21:40
ANGEL REAPER

Written by bloodwrage on 14.08.2009 at 04:28

MILK IS NOT THE PROBLEM CIGS AND BUZZ ARE!!!!!!!
----
17.08.2009 - 06:54
dEAthB3D

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 15.08.2009 at 21:40

Written by bloodwrage on 14.08.2009 at 04:28

MILK IS NOT THE PROBLEM CIGS AND BUZZ ARE!!!!!!!

cigs does help me buddy... back to my hi school time i can't sing those meshuggah songs but now i can thx to cigs and hours of practice
just don't consume it too much
i've quit smoking for 6 months now...
----
20.08.2009 - 14:03
Yooden

Well, the voice goes through the throat, so it has to be relaxed and that comes from moist, and milk moistens my throat very nicely.

Btw, my voice has become dry again, and just at the time for recording our demo. Much of my control and power have been lost in my screams/growls, though my regular singing-voice feels awesome.
I have recorded the songs once, but I´m not satisfied, think I´ll have a go at them again in a week or two, when my body have gotten used to the dryer air.

Yeah, tea and honey is nice before screaming.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
20.08.2009 - 22:49
Throne

Cigs definately calm my throat, it's like if you give your throat that burn from the smoke it copes with the unusual scratch of starting to growl, if you do it everday though it will go away, and you should feel no pain. Check out my band for examples of my vocal styles. myspace.com/theageofdusk
21.08.2009 - 17:45
Throne Dweller

Written by Throne on 20.08.2009 at 22:49

Cigs definately calm my throat, it's like if you give your throat that burn from the smoke it copes with the unusual scratch of starting to growl, if you do it everday though it will go away, and you should feel no pain. Check out my band for examples of my vocal styles. myspace.com/theageofdusk

You're a fucking idiot.
21.08.2009 - 20:46
Throne

Written by Throne Dweller on 21.08.2009 at 17:45

You're a fucking idiot.

And your 15, and I'd like to see you do better than me. This is a site for people to come together and enjoy metal, stop being a dick, thanks.
21.08.2009 - 20:58
Throne

I AM NOT PROMOTING SMOKING, I am just saying that in my case, it has definately changed my voice to a benefit. Do not start just if you want to growl. I also enjoy mountain dew on stage, or warm water. Do not start trying growls or screams by whispering to your favorite band, it sounds like a scream but it's fake, and is not realistic. Just make sure to take precautions to not fuck up your throat, and it sometimes takes a long fucking time to develop the tone. Try listening to necrophagist and Opeth for lows, copying the sounds you hear, then switch to something like Wintersun or Job for a Cowboy and copy the highs. You can think what you want about my advice but listen to what I sound like and you'll see it works.
22.08.2009 - 12:24
dEAthB3D

You're a fucking idiot.

that's just rude....

agree w/ throne just don't smoke too much... and for the training first try exorcist by possesed or amon amarth songs... it's relatively easy
----
23.08.2009 - 11:06
Throne Dweller

Written by Throne on 21.08.2009 at 20:46

You're a fucking idiot.

And your 15, and I'd like to see you do better than me. This is a site for people to come together and enjoy metal, stop being a dick, thanks.

My age means nothing, you pretentious wanker. I am better than you by far, and with some recordings in the next month or so I can show you. Otherwise it's studio-quality with multiple vocal tracks > cheap mic with a voice on it's own.

Either way, your advice is terrible.
24.08.2009 - 21:12
Throne

Your age does mean something, trying metal vocals before you go through puberty is dangerous, you could fuck up your throat. Also acting 15 towards me gets you no where, this isn't youtube, why not be helpful instead of a pain in the ass. Anyways, good luck to all on the journey to death metal vocal-gasms.
25.08.2009 - 15:02
Throne Dweller

Written by Throne on 24.08.2009 at 21:12

Your age does mean something, trying metal vocals before you go through puberty is dangerous, you could fuck up your throat. Also acting 15 towards me gets you no where, this isn't youtube, why not be helpful instead of a pain in the ass. Anyways, good luck to all on the journey to death metal vocal-gasms.

My voice broke when I was twelve, I've been able to do this for a very long time with no negative repercussions.
Acting fifteen? How does one act fifteen?
And I have given my fifty cents, in plenty of these vocal topics. I don't think you realize that advice you've given is dangerous and irresponsible for promoting it.
25.08.2009 - 15:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Aren't you supposed to wait with growls until you're 16? I think I read that somewhere, has something to do with your vocal chords not being fully developed.
----