Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
14.03.2010 - 22:20
ANGEL REAPER
I agree with you 100%....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.04.2010 - 16:23
I've bought The Zen Of Screaming 2 after watching some videos from part 1 , well it really sucked and I didn't understand a word all I've seen is metalcore/hardcore singers, she talked about Fry and whatever flow :S I dunno .
something else, I can do record and it sounds loud and cool, but I never feel comfortable doing It I mean I can't do it anytime but what I got from that dvd is that you can growl whenever u want without any pain is that any right ? ?
25.04.2010 - 16:36
Archetype
Written by The Night Wisher on 25.04.2010 at 16:23

I've bought The Zen Of Screaming 2 after watching some videos from part 1 , well it really sucked and I didn't understand a word all I've seen is metalcore/hardcore singers, she talked about Fry and whatever flow :S I dunno .
something else, I can do record and it sounds loud and cool, but I never feel comfortable doing It I mean I can't do it anytime but what I got from that dvd is that you can growl whenever u want without any pain is that any right ? ?

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I'm sure there's a way to do it without hurting yourself. It may be different for everyone however although I'd imagine the basics to be the same for all. I've recently gained interest in vocals myself so I've been digging around for information and was contemplating getting my hands on the zen of screaming but as you said, it's more about metalcore/hardcore hence the "screaming" which isn't a style I'm interested in.

Anybody know any other such programs for other metal vocal styles?
27.04.2010 - 22:38
ANGEL REAPER
I've doing that for two-tree years and I must sat that only listening to some old school BM/DM bands and singers will help you a lot.
Forget about the "Zen of screaming" and such stupid/for the masses products...only way to progress is to practice,practice and only practice...(ok that sounded like Marx)...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.05.2010 - 21:23
MetalMommy
I have the zen of metal dvd's...they are dusty lol.

practice yes. drink fluids when you practice, having a hot tea helps or coffee (heat relaxes muscles...vocal chord training=training muscles)
be concious about projecting from diaphragm (sp?) not your throat, if you rely completely on your throat you will tear it up over time and a scratchier tone..gutteral is good,deep is good,scratchy is annoying but fits in good with emo styles if you like that
23.05.2010 - 06:54
Archetype
Written by MetalMommy on 22.05.2010 at 21:23

I have the zen of metal dvd's...they are dusty lol.

practice yes. drink fluids when you practice, having a hot tea helps or coffee (heat relaxes muscles...vocal chord training=training muscles)
be concious about projecting from diaphragm (sp?) not your throat, if you rely completely on your throat you will tear it up over time and a scratchier tone..gutteral is good,deep is good,scratchy is annoying but fits in good with emo styles if you like that

I've seen that the 'use your diaphragm' advice comes up a lot yet I haven't really seen it explained properly. Is there a particular technique and/or feeling associated with doing vocals from the diaphragm rather than the throat?
24.05.2010 - 14:16
ANGEL REAPER
Push your down parts of chest while growl...thats the use of diafragma..
----
05.06.2010 - 21:12
Saitenhexerin
I just started to practise growling/screaming...
I really like it and it's a great way to get your emotions out. But I wanted to ask if it's normal to have a dry/sore throat afterwards? or is that a sign that I'm doing it wrong? I don't actually have problems while screaming so I dunno...
(might be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance!)

And I think using the diaphragm comes naturally, at least with me. But I have to stand to be able to growl properly.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
09.06.2010 - 15:32
ANGEL REAPER
Yes it's normal,pain is thing that tells you that you do something wrong.....
anyway read this tread from the start and lot of things will be explainened...
practice!good luck!:banger2:
----
12.06.2010 - 02:17
Written by Saitenhexerin on 05.06.2010 at 21:12

I just started to practise growling/screaming...
I really like it and it's a great way to get your emotions out. But I wanted to ask if it's normal to have a dry/sore throat afterwards? or is that a sign that I'm doing it wrong? I don't actually have problems while screaming so I dunno...
(might be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance!)

And I think using the diaphragm comes naturally, at least with me. But I have to stand to be able to growl properly.

Well there are a lot of methods, but there is something common among these methods : Pain = you're doing something wrong or maybe the technique can't be applied and it's all wrong. I've been practicing this a year and i can't really do it very well without pain due to lack of breath.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll add a question: how can I get the high death metal voice ? I do push from my diaphragm with lower throat I get the deep roaring growl but I can't get it higher. Like let's say Six Feet Under, Chris Barnes go from low to extremely high scream I just wanna know how ....
20.06.2010 - 22:37
ANGEL REAPER
Pure talent,man...that something which you can make or not... it has to have something with your's voice range...
----
22.06.2010 - 00:44
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.06.2010 at 22:37

Pure talent,man...that something which you can make or not... it has to have something with your's voice range...

well I don't know, I feel like the style I am developing is not available for highs....and I've discovered that some funeral doom bands like Shape of Despair uses the vocal fry but in different way it give extremely deep voice ...
25.06.2010 - 20:26
ANGEL REAPER
And lot of electronics
----
26.03.2011 - 17:41
I'e been doing the DM vocals thing for - shit, 20 years now, on an off! I personally like good enunciation, and a nice wide range of tone and timbre - see www.myspace.com/anchorheaddarthmetal for a bit of an example of what I do. Aaaanyhoo, the above posters are right - diaphragm is vitaly important. Stand up to practice, and push from the guts - you should feel the 'six pack' muscles really straining. Hydration is also vital. Also, the alignment of your larynx (voice box), chin and throat can vary the tone you produce markedly. Try tucking your chin back into your neck, dropping your larynx down your throat and pulling your tongue back and down to the rear of your throat for a deeper growl. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, it's hard for me to explain somehting that I do kinda instinctively. But my advice? Play around with it - don't be afraid of sounding like a bit of a dick untill you find something that works for you.
26.03.2011 - 23:54
Yasmine
Timbre, lol Are you guys seriously about to pretend DM vocals take opera level skills? I seriously hope not. Not many creative voices around, but the first dude in Psycroptic was good.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.03.2011 - 17:12
JD
Account deleted
I can do vocal like Suffocation, Beheaded, i also can do stuff like Disgorge, and some deathcore\metalcore.
28.03.2011 - 12:28
theFIST
It certainly shouldn"t hurt, but you might get a slightly rough feeling

you can get higher sounds by opening your mouth wider
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
28.03.2011 - 12:37
Yasmine
Written by theFIST on 28.03.2011 at 12:28

Oh yea, stop right away no matter what you sing DM or opera if it hurts you're doing it WRONG.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
29.03.2011 - 21:06
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Yasmine on 28.03.2011 at 12:37

Oh yea, stop right away no matter what you sing DM or opera if it hurts you're doing it WRONG.

YES PAIN IS A SIGN THAT YOU SHOULD STOP!
WHATEVER YOU DO BM,DM,OPERA ...NO MATHER JUST STOP....
Try something different ,some new way to make the voice you want to make,don't hurt yourself for nothing....
Once you find a way to sing/growl/scream without pain you will enjoy it ,and you will be able to do it for a much more time than when you do it wrong....
Example:I can do growls/BM/screams for almost all day long without pain....just as easy as i talk....
----
29.03.2011 - 22:02
Yasmine
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.03.2011 at 21:06

Try something different ,some new way to make the voice you want to make,don't hurt yourself for nothing....
Once you find a way to sing/growl/scream without pain you will enjoy it ,and you will be able to do it for a much more time than when you do it wrong....
Example:I can do growls/BM/screams for almost all day long without pain....just as easy as i talk....

Same thing, I can sing all day a Spinto Soprano all day with no pains. NEver ever try to just make it work.
----
01.04.2011 - 18:06
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 22:02

Same thing, I can sing all day a Spinto Soprano all day with no pains. NEver ever try to just make it work.

Spinto Soprano....Hmmmm.....May I contact you if I need some operatic voices for some of my music projects?
----
01.04.2011 - 18:13
Yasmine
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.04.2011 at 18:06

Spinto Soprano....Hmmmm.....May I contact you if I need some operatic voices for some of my music projects?

Absolutely.
----
01.04.2011 - 21:06
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Yasmine on 01.04.2011 at 18:13

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 01.04.2011 at 18:06

Absolutely.

will do....
----
22.09.2011 - 21:03
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
How about harsh vocals? How can I do them?
23.09.2011 - 02:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:03

you get born with that....you cant just get them...
dm and bm vocals are unnatural for human body and that is the reason why its relatively easy to make them.harsh singing is more like the traditional singing just a bit harsher...
So the answer to you question is i dont know....
----
23.09.2011 - 14:30
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 23.09.2011 at 02:19

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:03

you get born with that....you cant just get them...
dm and bm vocals are unnatural for human body and that is the reason why its relatively easy to make them.harsh singing is more like the traditional singing just a bit harsher...
So the answer to you question is i dont know....

I'll look for someone else... Or I might make my band all clean vocals, or instrumental; Something new to the genre.
24.09.2011 - 03:37
I learned how to do death metal vocals on my own, surprisingly didn't hurt myself either!! I got real lucky lool. I think I kind of have a mixture of Glen Benton and Mike Majewski style death metal vocals if you could believe that odd combo. I also learned how to do Travis Ryan's signature dinosaur shriek pretty recently, twas cool. It isn't as high pitched, though for some reason.
12.10.2011 - 22:51
Sido
Hey saw thjis thread read most of it, very helpful guys! Anyways I started practicing growling maybe a few months ago and thought I got a good sound, I use my diafragm and my throat doesn't hurt, but the thing is that I get this vibration when I growl which isn't supposed to happen, any tips?
13.10.2011 - 13:50
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Sido on 12.10.2011 at 22:51

Hey saw thjis thread read most of it, very helpful guys! Anyways I started practicing growling maybe a few months ago and thought I got a good sound, I use my diafragm and my throat doesn't hurt, but the thing is that I get this vibration when I growl which isn't supposed to happen, any tips?

give more details about that vibration...but its maybe the consequence of you pushing the air too hard from your lungs ...
----
13.10.2011 - 19:38
Sido
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.10.2011 at 13:50

Written by Sido on 12.10.2011 at 22:51

give more details about that vibration...but its maybe the consequence of you pushing the air too hard from your lungs ...

It might be it, it's kind of a gurgling or trembling sound that I would say comes from the lower parts of my throat, resembling literal growling (like a dog and such).