Metal Storm logo
Swedish Man Gets 'Sick' Benefits For Heavy Metal 'Addiction'

20.06.2007 - 05:03
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Ok, I found this article in a brazillian website (which later on I figured out that was translated from Blabbermouth.net) When I first read it I was laughing my ass off, and I also thought "Hey, I think Im gonna do that too!"

so here is the article

Sweden's The Local reports: A Swedish heavy metal fan has had his musical preferences officially classified as a disability. The results of a psychological analysis mean that the metal lover can now count on having his income supplemented by state benefits.

Roger Tullgren (Photo#1, Photo#2, Photo#3, Photo#4, Photo#5), 42, from Hässleholm in southern Sweden, has just got a new job as a dishwasher at a local restaurant.

Because heavy metal dominates so many aspects of his life, the Employment Service has agreed to pay part of Tullgren's salary. His new boss meanwhile has given him a special dispensation to play loud music at work.

"The fact that I am so into music has affected my work situation to the extent that I have had to quit some jobs," he said.

[Watch video footage of Roger Tullgren talking (in Swedish) about his heavy metal addiction at this location.]

Roger Tullgren first developed an interest in heavy metal when his older brother came home with a BLACK SABBATH album in 1971.

Since then little else has mattered for the 42-year-old, who has long black hair, a collection of tattoos and wears skull and crossbones jewelry.

Last year the ageing rocker claims to have attended almost three hundred shows, often skipping work in the process.

Eventually his last employer tired of his absences and Tullgren was left jobless and reliant on welfare handouts.

But a series of sessions with a psychologist soon led to a solution of sorts: Tullgren signed a piece of paper on which his heavy metal lifestyle was classified as a disability, an assessment that entitles him to a wage supplement from the job centre.

The manager at his new workplace allows him to go to concerts as long as he makes up for lost time at a later point. He is also allowed to dress as he likes and listen to heavy metal while washing up.

"But not too loud when there are guests," said Tullgren.

The Local spoke to an occupational psychologist in Stockolm who admitted to being baffled by the decision.

"I think it's extremely strange. Unless there is an underlying diagnosis it is absolutely unbelievable that the job centre would pay pay out.

"If somebody has a gambling addiction, we don't send them down to the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction, not encourage it," he said.

Henrietta Stein, deputy employment director for the Skåne region, is also puzzled by the move; "an interest in music" is not usually sufficient to qualify for wage benefits.

"Certain cases are confidential but in general there is always a medical reason that is well-documented," she said.

Tullgren currently plays bass and guitar in two rock bands (including SILVERLAND; MySpace) and says that he tends to get a lot of positive reactions for daring to be himself.

"Some might say that I should grow up and learn to listen to other types of music but I can't. Heavy metal is my lifestyle," he said.

source: www.blabbermouth.net

What you all think about this?
----
20.06.2007 - 05:25
UpTheIrons666

I want to get those benefits too
20.06.2007 - 05:59
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by UpTheIrons666 on 20.06.2007 at 05:25

I want to get those benefits too

Me too. Where are my health benefits, damn it?
20.06.2007 - 06:11
tulkas
el parcero
very interesting. i wish that could happen to me too, i also want those benefits
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.06.2007 - 06:24
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
imagine, get paid to listen metal! what else could you want?
----
20.06.2007 - 06:54
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
wow, i want sick benifits too...
In all honesty though, the world is going mad... sick benifits for musical preference... next he'll begoing to heavy metal anonymous... "Uhm hello everyone, my name is Roger and I'm a music addict!"
20.06.2007 - 11:53
Hyvaarin

Though it's all pretty stupid, I applaud him for having the audacity to actually make this claim.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
20.06.2007 - 12:56
Judas
The Amputator
This is fucking ridiculous. This guy is clearly a loser, despite being a metalhead, and the government are paying him money so he can continue being a parasite. What a useless piece of shit. The world is indeed going crazy.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
20.06.2007 - 13:00
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Sounds like he's autistic. My little brother gets hooked on things and it dominates his life. For the last year it's been the TV show 'Deal or no Deal'. He watches it on TV, talks to everyone he sees about it, plays the game on the computer, watches old episodes again on youtube, plays the deal or no deal board game (yes, there is one. I can't believe it either), draws pictures in MS paint of stuff relating to the show etc every day. I also work with kids with similar obsessions.

You're supposed to encourage normal behaviour rather than go out of your way to accomodate them because they'll just become more extreme if they're allowed to become fixated on one thing and no one stops it getting out of hand.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
20.06.2007 - 14:36
Nixx
Account deleted
And the swedish claim Norwegians are the wacky ones? o.0
20.06.2007 - 14:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Benefits =
42 year old dishwasher =
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.06.2007 - 15:15
Torelli

Written by Lucas on 20.06.2007 at 14:38

42 year old dishwasher =

Well, what do you expect from a man that skip the job for going to conserts instead? Busniess manager?

Anyway, when does listening to hard-rock classifies as a mental disorder? This is only giving metal and hard-rock fans an even bader image....
20.06.2007 - 15:39
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Torelli on 20.06.2007 at 15:15

Written by Lucas on 20.06.2007 at 14:38

42 year old dishwasher =

Well, what do you expect from a man that skip the job for going to conserts instead? Busniess manager?

Anyway, when does listening to hard-rock classifies as a mental disorder? This is only giving metal and hard-rock fans an even bader image....

Im considering moving to your country in a few years lol

I dont think that this event affects Heavy Metal fame at all (well I think its already as bad as it can get lol specially Scandinavian metal because of the stereotypical ideas)

But its kinda sad that people considered Heavy Metal a dissease, I can imagen in a few years psychiatrics studing the Ozzborn Syndrome, or the Maiden Syndrome lol
----
20.06.2007 - 15:53
animal

DAMNIT! I was gonna post this- you beat me to it! Oh well.

Yeah, I'm wondering who the bigger idiot is here- him or the government. A claim like that would never fly here.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
20.06.2007 - 21:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Judas on 20.06.2007 at 12:56

This is fucking ridiculous. This guy is clearly a loser, despite being a metalhead, and the government are paying him money so he can continue being a parasite. What a useless piece of shit. The world is indeed going crazy.

Exactly my thoughts, what a godamn lowlife, I hope loses a few fingers or something...I dunno. Then again this is from blabbermouth, and Ive learned not to trust a damn thing that comes off of that landfill of a website.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 22:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
no good
how pathetic... this beats cutting a finger off to get disabled-specific help and stuff(never saw that lol in real life though, saw one guy on senfield do it, what an idiot)...
20.06.2007 - 22:51
Torelli

Written by Doc G. on 20.06.2007 at 21:58

Then again this is from blabbermouth, and Ive learned not to trust a damn thing that comes off of that landfill of a website.

I saw it on expressen's(swedish news magasine) site aswell, so this story seems to be true, unfortunaly.
20.06.2007 - 23:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah I don't think this should be counted as a disability of any kind. I think the dude needs to learn about a little word called responsibility, it could help him out of this situation you know.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.06.2007 - 23:46
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.06.2007 at 23:42

Yeah I don't think this should be counted as a disability of any kind. I think the dude needs to learn about a little word called responsibility, it could help him out of this situation you know.

I agree. I might listen to metal, but I am still responsible to do what my authority figures tell me instead of saying "I'm sorry, I can't, I listen to metal".
21.06.2007 - 01:34
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 20.06.2007 at 22:57

I'll use this mean in order to skip army....a fine idea....

Couldn't have said it better , I originally intended to fake some mental disorder like deep depression, computer addiction or something like that, or request for replace service as I'm kind of pacifist, but who needs that when you can get labelled "disabeled" for liking metal music . Still, it probably wouldn't work in Estonia.
21.06.2007 - 01:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
At first I was jealous of him, now I realised hes probably still living with his mommy and has never even been out on a date.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.06.2007 - 02:34
Nazeef

You are already paid while listening to Metal!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
21.06.2007 - 03:11
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Nazeef on 21.06.2007 at 02:34

Do you have a job that pays you to do this? If you do, could you link me to a site where I can fill out an application?
21.06.2007 - 03:22
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.06.2007 at 03:11

Do you have a job that pays you to do this? If you do, could you link me to a site where I can fill out an application?

He probably means mental payment ;|
as in "money for the soul" or something..
I dunno, i'm just tired and in a philosophic mood <.<
21.06.2007 - 03:46
Nazeef

Written by Guest on 21.06.2007 at 03:22

You are absolutely right Nixx, He's only too materialistic to appreciate what makes you see gold's multiple dimension, he has only one unfortunately.
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
21.06.2007 - 04:02
Insineratehymn
Account deleted

Oh, I asked him purely out of light-hearted sarcasm.
21.06.2007 - 04:05
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.06.2007 at 04:02

Oh, I asked him purely out of light-hearted sarcasm.

Yeah I thought about that aswell after writing it, I fail at sarcasm, sorry.
21.06.2007 - 05:04
Stigmatized
This is like, the greatest story ever.
21.06.2007 - 05:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 21.06.2007 at 05:04

This is like, the greatest story ever.

But it's not as good as The Greatest Story Ever Told.
21.06.2007 - 14:30
Daru Jericho

Man, I'd be pissed off if I were a member of the Swedish public and paying for this addiction. I've bunked off lessons for gigs but I don't get a benefit and quite frankly, I'd rather not because it's not efficient for the society.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.