Metal Storm logo
Darkthrone vs Emperor

Original post

Posted by Infurnace, 20.06.2007 - 23:40
Darkthrone and Emperor. They both play Black Metal, but they are very different from each other. For example Darkthrone plays raw, minimalistic, primitive Black Metal, but Emperor plays a more technical, symphonic form of Black Metal. I like both bands very much and they are both in my list of favorite Black Metal bands, but for me Darkthrone is the better one here, because I like their raw, old school sound. So my question is, which one of these bands do you think is better, or do you think they are equally good? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Poll

Which band do you think is better?

Emperor
Darkthrone
Both good bands

Total votes: 159
30.09.2009 - 13:47
ToMegaTherion
Both are very good bands. Darkthrone have moments of excellence, the charm of their sound is in the "Raw, primitive" sounds.
Emperor one the other hand are in a league of their own as far as BM is concerned. Few bands match them for quality and tallent, for me they are the pinikle of black metal.
30.09.2009 - 13:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In my ears Darkthrone is winning...they are fulfilling my image of "true norwegian bm" much better...well, at least in older works
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.11.2009 - 19:20
SatyriconChick
Both are good bands, but I definitely like Emperor better.
15.11.2009 - 16:36
Dcera větru
Both are good bands i can't decide for one
----
... I smell the steaming blood...on The way of hunting moon...
02.02.2013 - 05:47
squidrick420
Can't choose at all. Both amazing for different reasons. Darkthrone for their various genre changes that never disappoint as well as the fact that they are just plain talented and can make some of the most evil noises ever! Emperor is amazing to listen to when your stoned in the forest or driving home through the mountains at night. There is something about black metal and mountains that when combined, both become more awesome.
08.02.2013 - 04:27
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Darkthrone by a lot. Emperor had one good album whereas Darkthrone had about 7
09.02.2013 - 00:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Darkthrone Darkthrone Darkthrone.

No hesitantion. I don't really like Emperor at all, where as I nearly worship Darkthrone.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2013 - 02:05
Uldreth
Depends if we compare them as BM bands or not.

I like all of Emperor's materials but I only like Soulside Journey and the later punky stuff by Darkthrone. But I voted Emperor out of sentimental reasons anyways, first BM band I was into.
09.02.2013 - 03:29
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I like both bands but I would have to choose Emperor personally. Ihsahn's vocals are absolutely awesome.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.02.2013 - 00:06
king_matt
Definitely Darkthrone. ABITNS is a masterpiece.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt