Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
20.06.2007 - 23:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.
----
(space for rent)
20.06.2007 - 23:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant vote this time, I love them all. I had all albums and I love them but not so much last one.
Realy dunno how choose because i like in each album muisc, poetry/lyrics, artworks so no criteries how choose
This is amazing, talanted, gifted band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2007 - 00:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I voted Still Life, its the one album that got me accustomed to death growling (I couldnt stand it before). And now I love black & death metal so I guess that album was a real door opener for me. the music is just great, this album has more of a spanish type sound to it than the other albums, very jazzy aswell with the inclusion of fretless bass made a really nice sound. The Moor is my favorite Opeth song, the accoustic intro is amazing, altogether has a very eerie sound to it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.06.2007 - 00:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
After much deliberation, I voted for Orchid. I don't listen to Opeth much anymore, but I can say that all of their albums are great, maybe with exception to Deliverance, which I found to be boring. Blackwater Park used to be my clear favorite, but I've grown tired of it through the years. Orchid is just an amazing album that, at times, comes close to being melodeath. The riffs are very creative and for some reason I think that album has the best parts with Mikael singing, even though there is less singing on Orchid than the other releases. I also enjoy the overall atmosphere of the album, thanks to the piano and the raw production.
21.06.2007 - 06:13
spirit_inblack
harshhead
My vote goes to the amazing Still Life. All of the songs on this release are stellar, and it features my favorite Opeth songs, The Moor, Benighted, and Face Of Melinda. This is also the best vocal performance Mikael had and the songs are just great. Nice lyrics too.
21.06.2007 - 09:20
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Blackwater park.

Its a flow of music , puke fking music. I like the way the whole album is been structured .... you cant choose your favorite song, the whole album is phenomenon.You cant add something or remove any part of the album .... one of the masterpiece in the metal history.
I user to be a Opeth fan, period. Stoled words from my older days... they sounds pretty boring to me these days.
21.06.2007 - 13:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
ghost reveries.
maybe this album has made good memories for me... specially Beneath The Mire.
21.06.2007 - 13:40
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Worst album by opeth = Ghost Revereis IMO.
21.06.2007 - 15:31
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Hembrom on 21.06.2007 at 13:40

^ Worst album by opeth = Ghost Revereis IMO.

I agree although i still like the album...
My favorite album from opeth is probably Blackwater Park... But Still Life, Morningrise and Deliverance are both very good too and My Arms, Your Hearse
23.06.2007 - 01:24
Bitch Boy

Blackwater Park, I think it's the one that represents the best what Opeth is about.
25.06.2007 - 15:25
Abattoir

Written by Bitch Boy on 23.06.2007 at 01:24

Blackwater Park, I think it's the one that represents the best what Opeth is about.

i agree with you, nothing else
25.06.2007 - 16:41
baldur

i dont know i love all of them but damnation gives me that feeling hm dont know how to describe it
well i voted for damnation!
27.06.2007 - 16:26
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
My vote gos to Still Life. I always had problems getting into Opeth. I never liked them at first. Then slowly I started dwelling on the song 'April Ethereal', and I totally dug My Arms Your Hearse. But after that my second experience with Opeth was Still Life, and I was just fucking mesmerized. The whole concept was so beautiful, and 'Face Of Melinda' is still my favorite Opeth song. That song perfectly summarizes what Opeth are capable of - Brilliant acoustic play, Fine Solos, Intricate Drumming, Brooding interludes, breathtaking clean vocals and excellent growls as well. I think if it wasn't for Still Life I would've written off Opeth and would've just stuck to listening to the albums up till MAYH. But even though I went on to check out the other Opeth albums, nothing could match this album for me. Everything is perfect from The Moor to White Cluster.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
27.06.2007 - 23:49
Warman
Erotic Stains
So far Blackwater Park without doubt! Actually it's even on my Top 3 favourite album list. I think the amazing atmosphere is the main reason why.
----
28.06.2007 - 00:05
Damnated
Churchburner
morningrise, without a doubt. it's opeth's most inocent and fresh sounding album. they sound so young and optimistic. and the music is good too =P
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.06.2007 - 12:32
Rimfrost

Blackwater Park. Every album is good, but has got their downs. BP don't, it is nearly perfect.
I don't see why people don't like Ghost Reveries, I think it is greater than Deliverance and Damnation at least.
28.06.2007 - 21:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by CrypticMyth on 27.06.2007 at 16:26

My vote gos to Still Life. I always had problems getting into Opeth. I never liked them at first. Then slowly I started dwelling on the song 'April Ethereal', and I totally dug My Arms Your Hearse. But after that my second experience with Opeth was Still Life, and I was just fucking mesmerized. The whole concept was so beautiful, and 'Face Of Melinda' is still my favorite Opeth song. That song perfectly summarizes what Opeth are capable of - Brilliant acoustic play, Fine Solos, Intricate Drumming, Brooding interludes, breathtaking clean vocals and excellent growls as well. I think if it wasn't for Still Life I would've written off Opeth and would've just stuck to listening to the albums up till MAYH. But even though I went on to check out the other Opeth albums, nothing could match this album for me. Everything is perfect from The Moor to White Cluster.

Oh man, great reasons. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoy reading posts like that.
----
(space for rent)
01.07.2007 - 13:29
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^Heh. Thanks man. Glad you liked it. I hope you weren't sarcastic.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
04.07.2007 - 02:10
toXic

I had real problems with this poll, opeth is one of the greatest bands there is and all there albums kikk ass. but i had to choose and still life got first place, mainly becouse of the asslicking song serenity painted death and becouse of the great clean sound threw the whole album. Hail Opeth
----
<You that walk in the night, you are afraid of the light,
from a glorius and fearles night to the shadow of a man beaten in a fight,
ones granted the power of steel the promis he made NEVER to kneel.>
04.07.2007 - 02:34
Account deleted
Blackwater Park most definitely.
05.07.2007 - 22:33
Gronadas

It was dofficult for me to choose one but my vote was for Blackwater Park. If I had another chance to vote I'd vote Orchid, cuz it was my first Opeth album and has my favorite song of all: In The Mist She Was Standing
06.07.2007 - 10:09
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
NO, I hate favorite Opeth discussion topics. Cause I'm always down to either My Arms or Still Life. I wish I could choose both, lol. Both have ace concepts, songs, and lyrics. My thoughts are currently My Arms, so I'll pick that this time.
06.07.2007 - 21:29
NoRb3
Account deleted
My vote goes to Still Life and in my opinion :

1.Still Life
2.Blackwater Park
3.My Arms Your Hearse

But hell yeah all Opeth albums are great!
07.07.2007 - 15:37
Imraghil

I don't like Opeth that much, but ghost reveries is the best album.
07.07.2007 - 15:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Imraghil on 07.07.2007 at 15:37

Than dont wote because how can you wote if you dunno other album's
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2007 - 16:55
lazarus

I chose Morningrise, because that album has everything, each of the songs has amazing riffs, guitar solos, well-performed drums and the bass, oh yeah! in this album I've heard one of the most outstanding performance by a bass, of course along with the accoustic guitar.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
12.07.2007 - 18:56
Cassandra
Account deleted
blackwater park was the first opeth i ever heard, i thought it was beautifully written and recorded, and its still my favorite.
13.07.2007 - 12:37
Mosquiller

i think the first 3 or 4 albums of death metal bands are their bests (@most bands).
here we have an extreme prog band, and (in my opinion about this band) the progressive elements don't let the extreme (death) side to become aberrant.
Morningrise = Masterpiece. nothing more, nothing less !!!
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
13.07.2007 - 21:54
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I voted for "Deliverance" because it's the weirdest album by Opeth. "Wreath" is just fucking scary, at least most of the time. "Deliverance" is a huge song, and the Meshuggahish drumming in the end sounds really great, too. Some would say it's repetitive but IMO it adds that sweet weirdness into the album. "A Fair Judgement" has probably in the middle the most beautiful passage I have heard ("leave it be..." - that part). I guess that song is the most important reason why I chose "Deliverance" as my favorite. "Master's Apprentices" is probably the most catchy song by Opeth and "By the Pain..." is nice and really experimental song.
"Deliverance" is the best because it's different

But "Still Life" and "Ghost Reveries" come pretty close.
16.08.2007 - 19:28
Imraghil

Written by Bad English on 07.07.2007 at 15:47

Written by Imraghil on 07.07.2007 at 15:37

Than dont wote because how can you wote if you dunno other album's

it's about the best album right? I think ghost reveries is the best album.