Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.06.2007 - 23:51
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
15.03.2009 - 15:15
ToMegaTherion

Most bands usually have one or two albums over a 15 year career that stand out above all while the rest fade into the background a little, but Opeth are an outstanding exception to the rule. Rather with Opeth it would be easier to discard the one or two albums that aren't quite in the same league as the others.

In the end there could only be one choice for the best, and for me it had to be Morningrise purely for sentimental reason rather than a distinct different in quality. It was the first Opeth album I acquired and still remains the most played on my computer. I have chosen on this basis because every album but perhaps Orchid could get my vote on quality alone. Orchid is a very good album, but it isn't quite in the same league as all of the other albums recorded by Opeth.
15.03.2009 - 17:32
Sick Girl

My Arms, Your Hearse would definetely be my favorite. I cannot says why really. I've just prefered it over others.
16.03.2009 - 14:30
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Wow, that's the hardest poll so far, because Opeth never made a bad album and I love them all . But I voted for Damnation, because it was the first Opeth album I listened to, and "Death Whispered A Lullaby" is one of my favourite songs
17.03.2009 - 11:11
In_tallica

I just bought still life simply by pure impulse and it turned out to be a fanastic record! ...from after which I found one of my favorite bands
25.03.2009 - 18:08
Andresopeth

I voted in this poll long time ago, and i have to say i am one of those 9 guys who voted for Orchid, i think when i voted i was the 4th vote for that one, well i like all Opeth's albums, and i have heard them at least 150 times each one, so vote for one is damn hard, but Orchid has something i definitely value: is their debut album and is so so good, is hard to find bands which debut albums are so perfect, and they have held their power their style they are gods. My second vote would be for Blackwater Park and then Morningrise
25.03.2009 - 22:46
Metal_Militia

I just listened to Morningrise again all the way through for the first time in 2 months.. Jesus its fantastic. The Night and the Silent Water is so brilliant. That listen is strongly making me reconsider my pick to be honest.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

26.03.2009 - 02:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Morningrise is the best. It's dark, haunting, fierce at times and yet subtle. It's the only Opeth album I really like along with Orchid.
11.05.2009 - 18:46
symbolic727

I love the sound of My Arms, Your Hearse And the song Amen Corner is probably my favorite opeth song.
11.05.2009 - 21:18
Land Of Doom

For Me Blackwater Park The Best

Espicially Harvest My Best Music From It

Very Amazing Album
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
08.06.2009 - 21:42
!Mac!

I'll say now that Watershed has been released, it's a very tight race between Blackwater Park and it.

Then again, does it matter? On any given day an Opeth album can overtake another. I love love them all!
15.06.2009 - 14:44
Lapkritis

All their's CDs are great. but, damnation is one of the most playing CDs in my library
17.06.2009 - 00:04
Rask

I love Opeth probably more then any other band. All of their CDs are fantastic in my opinion, but im giving my vote for Damnation. It was my first Opeth album and I still play it more then any other album.
05.07.2009 - 17:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Ghost Reveries

because IMO it's their best studio produced album
----
rekt
07.07.2009 - 03:02
FraileTuck
Account deleted
Damnation. anyway it's hard
10.07.2009 - 07:54
gwarscumdog

Opeth is a band that I have trouble choosing albums over they are so metal its just great. I will go with Still Life, Godhead's Lament is a awsome song by Opeth.
"I hide the scars from my past
Yet they sense my dirge
This is when it all falls apart
White hands grasping for straws"
10.07.2009 - 21:37
Nemesisyume

Damnation has to be my favorite
I guess I've gotten a bit boring.
14.07.2009 - 23:35
Tank

I chose Deliverance cos it was the first album I ever owned by them.

Blackwater Park is probably a better album overall, but Deliverance has sentimental value
16.07.2009 - 15:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I like Morningrise most...and in fact, it is probably the only Opeth´s album i really like
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.07.2009 - 21:14
KanKooKuhn

I think that all albums are great indeed, all of them are unique masterpieces of music genius, but among them "Ghost Reveries" fits my soul and mind most.
17.07.2009 - 21:27
Warlock84

Well every Opeth album is simply amazing, that's a given. Each release has it's own unique feel to it as well. 'Damnation' is absolutely perfect for those hungover mornings, and as with all their albums, those dreary rainy days. As for their more "typical" format, I would have to say I'm very much stuck between 'Blackwater Park,' 'Ghost Reveries,' or 'Watershed.' It's so hard to say though, because each album has it's own feel to it, and whenever I listen to any of their albums it becomes my favorite again.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
29.07.2009 - 19:24
Andresopeth

Written by Diabolos on 16.03.2009 at 14:30

Wow, that's the hardest poll so far, because Opeth never made a bad album and I love them all . But I voted for Damnation, because it was the first Opeth album I listened to, and "Death Whispered A Lullaby" is one of my favourite songs

You're right man, is hard to find bands which all their works are in such a high level, a really hard poll
30.07.2009 - 21:22
Skøllgrim
Northern
Blackwater Park is the first I heard and it really impressed me, also I still think it sounds amazing... so I'm going for that one, even though all their albums kick ass.
03.08.2009 - 00:53
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Skøllgrim on 30.07.2009 at 21:22

Blackwater Park is the first I heard and it really impressed me, also I still think it sounds amazing... so I'm going for that one, even though all their albums kick ass.

Yep, yep, and yep. Definitely their best album. First death metal album that I ever had.
03.09.2009 - 21:00
Panterica

Man, that's hard, all of their albums are very good and there's plenty, I can't vote because I don't know all their work enough, but so far I liked most Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hearse and Ghost Reveries. I'll save my vote for later.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
11.09.2009 - 04:34
dEAthB3D

It's really hard you know, all of their albums (except watershed i don't like it much even though it's a good one) are greaaat....
but i voted for still life since i love its concept and i love the artwork and especially i love the track face of melinda
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
13.09.2009 - 16:57
Munish
Account deleted
I think it is "Complete" in itself when it comes to metal music.
13.09.2009 - 18:18
TheIncognitoGuy

Morningrise. I'm a fan of dual giutar harmonization, and I'm a fan of tracks that go longer than the usual 6 to 7 minutes. Allthough the album lacks a little in production, the tracks do have a very special atmosphere. And the acoustic guitar part in Black Rose Immortal (Must be somewhere aroung 9:42 if i remember right) drives a freeze down my spine everytime I hear the song. Awesome.
16.09.2009 - 01:04
Mahler

Out of all their albums i listen to "Ghost Reveries" the most, i love all of their songs, but "Hours of Wealth" and "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" are my favorite songs by Opeth, i listen to them once a day.
25.09.2009 - 00:00
HellTrooper

Morningrise is the purest, but Blackwater Park.....it's very hard to describe it!
----
R.I.P.

Cliff Burton
Chuck Schuldiner
25.09.2009 - 01:33
BuzzPhil

Dos it never happen to you, to vote and to come on the same topic later to find that you've already voted but don't remember for what so you search and you just did discover that you didn't leave a message to say for whom you vote?? This is what just did happened to me.. But today I'll probably vote for Mrningrise of BP...