Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.06.2007 - 23:51
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
25.09.2009 - 07:22
Zuzuz0r
Very though one, but I think my favorites are Morningrise, Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park and Still Life.

Morningrise because of it's beauty atmosphere, long as fuck songs, acoustic passages, and of course those delicious basslines make this album unique, I also like that the music makes me think of gray forests and stuff. Ghost Reveries, well, I think it's a very complete album, every musician shines here, I think this album is the one that shows their influences the most, death metal, jazz, progressive rock, psychedelic, etc..., Mikael's voice in this album is better than ever, he really shows his vocal ability, really love this album. Blackwater Park, atmosphere is the answer, and its great contrast between brutal and mellow, I enjoy it a lot. Still Life, the bridge between old and new Opeth, I think it mixes the best elements from both eras, that's the only way I can describe it.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
22.10.2009 - 06:35
oalston
I like Blackwater Park and Still Life equally, followed closely by Watershed and Ghost Reveries. All of their albums are good though.
24.10.2009 - 04:37
CTKMaster
Where the heck is Watershed?????? I really didn't understand that album until I listened to it about 10 times straight through......Hessian Peel is so beast its unreal..Plus Porcelain Heart and Heir Apparent's Instrumentals including clarinet flute and Spanish guitar truly show what Opeth's musicality has become....other than that Blackwater received my vote
24.10.2009 - 17:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by CTKMaster on 24.10.2009 at 04:37

Where the heck is Watershed?????? I really didn't understand that album until I listened to it about 10 times straight through......Hessian Peel is so beast its unreal..Plus Porcelain Heart and Heir Apparent's Instrumentals including clarinet flute and Spanish guitar truly show what Opeth's musicality has become....other than that Blackwater received my vote

Dude, the thread was created in 2007. Other than that, I think Watershed is my favorite Opeth album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.11.2009 - 05:04
SatyriconChick
Damnation. I can't get enough of that album! My favorite songs are "In My Time of Need" and "Windowpane." amazing stuff!
13.11.2009 - 20:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 24.10.2009 at 17:40

Written by CTKMaster on 24.10.2009 at 04:37

Dude, the thread was created in 2007. Other than that, I think Watershed is my favorite Opeth album.

Do you think the people that prefer Damnation are the ones that only know that album or is it geniunely because they like that side of Opeth?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.11.2009 - 22:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 13.11.2009 at 20:47

Do you think the people that prefer Damnation are the ones that only know that album or is it geniunely because they like that side of Opeth?

I don't know. I really like Damnation. It's an amazing album; I think it could easily be considered their best album by some people. I personally think Damnation is not versatile enough to be their best, but that's my opinion. Why are you asking me anyways?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.11.2009 - 01:59
kkktookmybaby
Blackwater park of course. it is noticable that they put a lot of effort into the album .
14.11.2009 - 11:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 13.11.2009 at 22:07

Written by BloodTears on 13.11.2009 at 20:47

I don't know. I really like Damnation. It's an amazing album; I think it could easily be considered their best album by some people. I personally think Damnation is not versatile enough to be their best, but that's my opinion. Why are you asking me anyways?

You seemed like a good person to answer that lol

It's just the impression I get, for a lot of people Damnation is the only Opeth album that's out there.

I can't remember the last time I listened to Damnation, I definitely feel like it's a unique album with great moments but it doesn't compare to the others, as far as I'm concerned. Another thing that pisses me off is that now they only play Windowpane live, whereas there are so many other great songs in that album, they could revisit them once in a while.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.11.2009 - 12:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 14.11.2009 at 11:42

You seemed like a good person to answer that lol

It's just the impression I get, for a lot of people Damnation is the only Opeth album that's out there.

I can't remember the last time I listened to Damnation, I definitely feel like it's a unique album with great moments but it doesn't compare to the others, as far as I'm concerned. Another thing that pisses me off is that now they only play Windowpane live, whereas there are so many other great songs in that album, they could revisit them once in a while.

At least you got to see them. I can only dream about it. To Rid the Disease would be a great song to listen to live. Windowpane is just the most popular song off that album, so sure they play it. The funny thing is that on last.fm Damnation is the most listened album. Well, I am pretty sure that the lion's share of those listens are by people who only listen to that album. Windowpane is most listed song too in the last 6 months, with a lot other Damnation songs being in TOP 15 too. Well, what can you do? People like this side. But I agree that people shouldn't vote unless they have heard all the albums.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.12.2009 - 05:30
whatsacow
Still Life is such a stunning example of creativity and artistic flare. The concept is stunning, both bleak and beautiful. One of the best albums ever made.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.02.2010 - 23:49
Winterthrone
For my part, Ghost Reveries is the better album with Blackwater Park as a close second and Still Life near behind. Watershed is a very good album but it took a long time for me to get used to it because of its radical changes in song directions. Deliverance is a killer album to, but it lacks the atmosphere of GR, BP and SL. Damnation is an awesome acoustic prog album but it lacks the diversity that is Opeth. My Arms, Your Hearse, Morningrise and Orchids are very good albums but they lack the maturity of their later efforts.
02.03.2010 - 08:38
Reza
Account deleted
IMO Still Life is the best Opeth album and Blackwaterpark is overrated.
07.03.2010 - 00:19
xplanet2112
Opeth are one of my favourite bands but In my opinion most of their albums seems to have two or three good songs and the rest don't seems to grab me so much, example GoP and BotH from GR great but the rest not so. This is just my opinion of course and I have other examples such as BWP which did not grab me, save for two or three tracks, as much as Still Life or Orchid did.

Now, believe me not if you choose but I bought Orchid not long after it's release (yea I am that old) because of loving the track 'Apostles in Triumph' that featured on the Candlelight sampler/Compilation (yea, I'm really old). Now I might prefer Orchid to BWP because it was the 1st Opeth album I bought and you tend to favour the 1st CD you buy of a band am I right? Still Life, to me, just seems so much more consistent than the rest of their catalogue... I just Like every song on that album!

Some words about 'Damnation' which was my choice as best Opeth CD (unless I pressed for Deliverance by mistake lol). After loving Orchid so much I never got round to buying Morningrise upon its release because I stopped listening to metal for a long time (save for Type O Negative). The next Opeth Album I got was Damnation and I couldn't believe my ears! They were very brave to do that, just like Paradise Lost with 'Host', but it was also an excellent album full of beautiful melody, hunting cords, and the fantastic voice of MA! I really did regret missing out on their back catalogue for so long. In fact it was my reintroduction to Opeth through 'Damnation' that got me back listening to metal in a big way, again! Not only am I thankful to Opeth because of their music but because, like the prodigal son, I was given a feast of metal music for my return to listening to this wonderful genre!!!
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
12.03.2010 - 04:44
Still Life Man

Just the atmosphere of the album.
Makes your whole body go numb.
but other than that i couldn't decide at all

mabey

like this

Still Life
Orchid
Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Deliverance
Watershed
Morningrise
MAYH
Damnation

But fuck the last ones could be the first so idk
I guess if you don't know which album's the best
you can tell the band knows what they are doing
and are the best.
16.03.2010 - 07:27
Your taste is really bad, cause you don't like Orchid (respect to the 10 other voters)!
Just 11's favourite? It's the best Opeth album!
My other favourites NOW after Orchid are these: Damnation, Blackwater Park, My Arms, Your Hearse.
Of course, Opeth never made album, which wasn't really great.
AKERFELDT FOREVER! /,,/
08.04.2010 - 21:03
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Still life is my favourite. Then maybe My Arms Your Hearse. I love the concept albums.
09.04.2010 - 01:08
advent
Well hard to me as well as other Opeth fans to choose a one...i think after hearing opeth all that years ....Morningrise will be my choice along with Still Life...for me Morningrise was the album with darker atmosphere and superior songwriting in terms of composing and lyrics too... songs like Advent with the acoustic part in the middle and the end is really the best i have ever heard ,,,,, and the epic Black Rose Immortal with the dark and doomy atmosphere and structure is one of the songs that really is stunning me everytime i am listening to it...along with Nectar and the Night and the silent winter are very emotional since i like their lyrics a lot...and To Bid You Farewell,,,,i can't describe how much it's beautiful
09.04.2010 - 07:42
Coloneater
When I first heard of Opeth; almost seven years ago, a friend of mine recommended them to me. He told me to listen to "Damnation" which was my first Opeth purchase. It was alright, I wasn't quite sure I liked it, but it was good for what it was. Then I bought "Deliverance" and I was completely....suprised, to say the least. But I fell in love with both albums quickly and started collecting them from Orchid on up.

All of them are superb in my book. One is not better than the other, nor worse. But, for my favorite, I would go with "My Arms, Your Hearse". I lean towards the heavier side of Opeth, plus I like the concept of that album. Akerfelt's vocals are at its best on this one, imo. My favorite Opeth song is not on this album though. (Hessian Peel)
18.04.2010 - 20:52
Jiri
Morningrise just does it for me.
30.04.2010 - 02:52
Its so fucking hard to choose a favorite album opeth album. Really i think my favorite is Still Life and then Blackwater Park closely behind it. But all of them are insane, really i can put their whole discography on shuffle and heard it all the way through if i have over 10 overs to kill haha. But also i love Watershed because that was a very different opeth album that was wonderful but couldnt be compared to previous one too much
17.08.2010 - 02:02
Still Life because of the feeling it gives. And everyones playing is top notch on that album.
----

[image]
19.08.2010 - 22:26
F.S
Blackwater Park !
13.09.2010 - 04:36
Pazu
Morningrise, but it's a close call. Still Life and Blackwater Park are great as well, so is Ghost Reveries. Orchid is good too, but it would have been so much better, if the individual parts of the songs weren't so strictly seperated from each other, and if the transitions between them were smoother. There are sometimes literally seconds without anything going on. The Moor is a prime example of how transitions are done in my opinion. However, I got a little side-tracked here. I like Morningrise the best, although it doesn't really consist of my favorite Opeth tracks, which is weird, but those five songs somehow perfectly fit each other on this great album.
19.09.2010 - 07:27
MetalFist
Account deleted
Blackwater Park is de best.
28.09.2010 - 17:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
I wish I could change my vote...

I had voted for Orchid, which I considered my favourite album by them some time ago. Then Still Life became it. Now My Arms, Your Hearse. This shows the awesomeness of this band indeed, all of their material is class.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.11.2010 - 14:29
vangosh
Opeth best band ever, best songs ever!
Blackwater Park of course it's a masterpiece, but i love too much other stuff like "Still Life", "My Arms, Your Hearse", "Deliverance" and "Morningrise", so .. i'm a bit confused

Blackwater Park it's the record i'm more focus right now, but i have to say that Opeth don't have any shit stuff!
God Bless this band!
28.11.2010 - 04:13
DLaiho
As much of a masterpiece blackwater park was is still got to go with ghosts of perdition. fave songs are the baying of the hounds and the grand conjuration
28.11.2010 - 13:10
IronAngel
I don't know. I'm not a big fan nowadays, and I don't really remember what all the albums were like. Damnation is gets my vote, though. The songcraft is superb, though I agree it's a bit samey. After that, I don't think I can choose between My Arse, Still Life and Blackwater Park. I know the latter best, because it's the first one I got, but the previous ones have this atmosphere it lacks.
01.01.2011 - 01:13
vangosh
All of their albuns are the best stuff in the metal scene, what can I say ?