Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Opeth Album?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.06.2007 - 23:51
A band that has been able to bring diehard Progressive Metal and Death Metal fans together, Opeth has had a stunning career. With one fantastic album after another, this tour de force has created a massive following. Like many great Prog bands, Opeth's discography does not seem to have a clear cut favorite of fans. So lets toss it out there, what is your favorite album. Also, please tell us why.

I'll go first. Blackwater Park is my pick. Is it their best work? Not sure, but it is the one I fell in love with first. A seamless blending of Swedish Death Metal and 70's Progressive Rock helped to create some very memorable Progressive Metal songs. I also think this is the first album where Mikael Åkerfeldt really began to shine as a vocalist and took the band in a new direction. This album also contains my favorite Opeth song, "The Drapery Falls" as well as other top songs like "Bleak" and "Harvest". Every song is well crafted and can stand on its own.

Poll

Your favorite from Sweden's prime Progressive Death Metal band.

Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Deliverance
Orchid

Total votes: 433
01.01.2011 - 02:27
GeoJK
I feel that My Arms, Your Hearse is their strongest album, but that's probably because I'm not an enormous fan of their more progressive-inspired stuff. I'm somewhat shocked that Blackwater Park seems to be such a general consensus for best Opeth album on this board, even though I do admit that it is a fantastic album.
17.01.2011 - 20:21
BehzadSh
Written by vangosh on 01.01.2011 at 01:13

All of their albums are the best stuff in the metal scene, what can I say?

exactly! All of their albums are great, each album have its mood, and it's so difficult to choose the best.
I rate them this way:

• Morningrise
  • Deliverance
  • Ghost Reveries
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
28.01.2011 - 21:25
Maim
Opeth's best material was from their first 4 albums in my opinion (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life) - I still really enjoy their material after those albums as well, but the first 4 always seemed to hold my interest more.

For me, it's neck & neck with Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse. I love the song structures on Morningrise, and I loved how they utilized the fretless bass on that album. However, I think My Arms Your Hearse was the album where Mikael really started to shine with his vocals. It's a tough call, but I'm going to go out on a limb and pick Morningrise.
----
Friends will help you move... REAL friends will help you move bodies...
04.02.2011 - 15:23
Night Sight
Softer stuffs by opeth stands out musch better
i think damnation is the best
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
09.02.2011 - 19:06
SauradipGhosh
My favourite opeth album has to be Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries..but i dont wanna leave out Damnation and Watershed as well. They are unique in their own way and they are all freakin amazing.
18.02.2011 - 07:36
Kevorkian
Blackwater Park because of Blackwater Park. That song is a behemoth. If only they would play it live . . .
18.02.2011 - 08:26
Gurth Bennas
I like blackwater park extremely high, but I voted for orchid it's more interesting for me.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
18.02.2011 - 17:04
Thunderhead
I got stuck in Blackwater Park, Damnation and Ghost Reveries.
Can't say at all!
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
03.03.2011 - 13:38
VloRD
Well, Orchid interested me the most, but Blackwater park is what got me into Opeth, so i voted for that
----
02.04.2011 - 05:59
blacktooth85
Blackwater Park
20.05.2011 - 16:55
Razorback
Deliverance
Blackwater Park
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
21.05.2011 - 04:28
I like their older stuff the most for some reason, but Still Life is my favorite by them. Morningrise is my second favorite.
23.05.2011 - 07:31
Sammol
Watershed

followed by:
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
Blackwater Park
28.06.2011 - 18:45
Metal_4Ever
Where's watershed ??
28.06.2011 - 18:54
JD
Account deleted
It's really hard for me, to choose between Deliverance, and Damnation, but voted for Damnation.
28.06.2011 - 19:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Metal_4Ever on 28.06.2011 at 18:45

Where's watershed ??

Probably in the process of being recorded. Check the year this thread was created.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.06.2011 - 19:21
Metal_4Ever
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.06.2011 at 19:03

Written by Metal_4Ever on 28.06.2011 at 18:45

Where's watershed ??

Probably in the process of being recorded. Check the year this thread was created.

Oh.. sorry I didn't see the time, thanks Troy for your scrupulousness..
28.06.2011 - 19:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Metal_4Ever on 28.06.2011 at 19:21

Oh.. sorry I didn't see the time, thanks Troy for your scrupulousness..

No worries guy, of course you can just choose "other" and post Watershed as your favorite and give your reason(s) why.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.06.2011 - 19:34
Metal_4Ever
Well, I choose Watershed because it's more quite and ballad and it has my favorite song for "Opeth" (Burden "best solo ever")
23.10.2011 - 23:10
king_matt
Written by BlackenedMyths on 21.05.2011 at 04:28

I like their older stuff the most for some reason, but Still Life is my favorite by them. Morningrise is my second favorite.

This.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
26.02.2012 - 22:51
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I love everything this band has put out (from Orchid to Heritage), these are the guys that got me into death metal in the first place and I have almost everything in my CD collection by them. Really fantastic band that never gets old. I would either go with Ghost Reveries, My Arms, Your Hearse, or Still Life for fave opeth release, it kind of flip-flops since I love these albums the most.
16.05.2012 - 08:16
ice
I think morningrise album is the best ever
----
I can make my heart stop beating
I can stop breathing
but I can't stop thinking
OF YOU!!!!
16.05.2012 - 18:34
Dàibh
Each Opeth album means something a little different to me...in that...I can remember hearing each of them on or near their release date (save for Orchid). I get such vivid impressions of where my life was at during those times; those times marked by the release of some of my favorite music.

As voting goes, though, I have to choose Blackwater Park, as the level of craftsmanship in the songs marked a unique point in the band's development for me.
16.05.2012 - 18:37
Dàibh
Written by ice on 16.05.2012 at 08:16

I think morningrise album is the best ever

Though in saying that -voting for Blackwater Park- Morningrise does contain what is perhaps my favorite Opeth track...

Such a tough poll.

06.06.2012 - 06:26
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I think the duo of Deliverance and Damnation is absolutely brilliant. I would give them both a 9 and 10 rating respectively, however I probably would have voted for Watershed, if this poll included it.

EDIT: I should have voted for Ghost Reveries in this poll, that album is brilliant.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.06.2012 - 14:45
Probably Blackwater Park. My second favorite is Still Life.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
16.06.2012 - 03:32
Necrox
Blackwater Park... Morningrise
18.06.2012 - 16:17
I did not think black water park would rate that high i thought albums like damnation still life were better albums.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
01.10.2012 - 07:13
Evil Chip
Ghost Reveries and very close Blackwater Park.
04.10.2012 - 15:33
Angry Chair
1. Blackwater park
2. Still life
3. Ghost reveries
Then all the rest in no order.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot