Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:
N/A

9 users:
Band: Zalmoxis
Album: A Nocturnal Emanation
Release date: January 2020

01. A Nocturnal Emanation

When I first saw the album cover for A Nocturnal Emanation about 3 weeks ago, something about the misty mountain dragon and crescent moon on it led me to suspect that it was going to end up being one hell of a majestic listening experience. My hypothesis turned out to be correct.

German black metal has long had a penchant for being very epic, atmospheric, and all around transcendent, but boy does Zalmoxis really take those qualities up to 11 with this release. The one man project of an individual going only by "Entheogen," with A Nocturnal Emanation Zalmoxis offers a single, 25 minute track, but to say it brings a lot to the table would be an understatement. Here a midtempo, highly hypnotizing black metal approach dominates, reinforced by a superb sense of melody, phenomenal drumming, and quite the impressive vocal delivery, that pleasantly alternates between traditional black metal shrieks and deep, imposing clean howls.

What makes A Nocturnal Emanation so enjoyable is probably the fact that it's the first black metal release in a while where every aspect of the instrumentation is on fucking point. Neither the bass, the vocals, the drums, nor the guitars really ever seem to overshadow each other, each being delightfully audible and well mixed in the overall production. Far from any one of these compositional ingredients dominating the others, they all seem to complement and back each other up effectively, propelling the composition ever forward to a beautiful, emotionally intense climax.

A brief though highly satisfying listen, the only real complaint that can be leveled against A Nocturnal Emanation is that it isn't longer and ends too quickly. But I think the fact that it's more likely to make listeners beg for more than it is to make them scream for it to end is definitely a good sign. Here's hoping more comes from Entheogen within the near future, because I most definitely need it.

A Nocturnal Emanation is quite possibly the best thing black metal released up to this point in the year. Immerse yourself with a good pair of headphones.

Written on 01.02.2020 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 97 users
01.02.2020 - 20:48
VIG
Account deleted
Oooo yummy, this looks. Inspect, I must
01.02.2020 - 20:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 01.02.2020 at 20:48

Oooo yummy, this looks. Inspect, I must

Like it, you will
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.02.2020 - 22:07
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Wish this was just a bit longer
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.02.2020 - 22:10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 01.02.2020 at 22:07

Hard same my dude
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.02.2020 - 23:03
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.02.2020 at 22:10

Written by RaduP on 01.02.2020 at 22:07

Hard same my dude

This week in things you can say about a Zalmoxis EP but also about your penis
----
03.02.2020 - 00:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Also fuck you, it's not every day that a band gets its name for my country's most important ancient diety and you don't even mention that
----
03.02.2020 - 00:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 03.02.2020 at 00:15

Also fuck you, it's not every day that a band gets its name for my country's most important ancient diety and you don't even mention that

Submit your own review and do it yourself
----

~ II. VII
03.02.2020 - 00:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.02.2020 at 00:19

Written by RaduP on 03.02.2020 at 00:15

Submit your own review and do it yourself

No
----

Hits total: 2058 | This month: 8