03. Soulless
04. Through the Desert Storm
05. The Dark Era
06. I'm Alive
07. Room 101
08. Different Stories
09. Bloodred Sails
10. Solemn Waters

Mothernight is the name of a Polish band but this is also the name of their first album. Their label says that they play Gothic Metal with Industrial influences but to be honest I'm still trying to find where they found this kind of "influences" in this release? ho well whatever. "Mothernight" is not horrible but the big problem with this band is that they didn't find the way to add something personal in their first album. As we say, we've heard it all before... and that's a bit sad?

"Mothernight" sounds a bit like the last Lacuna Coil. Don't even expect anything Symphonic here, we're in front of a real Metal band which plays Metal. The songs all have big insistent riffs with really dark melodies and well it's not horrible on a side. But on the other hand, it's not really well-inspired too, I mean that we heard it all before and that the songs can become quickly boring. It's sad but Mothernight didn't find the way to write something new and original and they just wrote songs which seem to be really similar to a lot of other trendy productions. Plus it clearly lacks of rhythm, and it's not really catchy and for example a song likes "Resurrect Me" will be a perfect lullaby for you.

If the compositions are really average, I have to say that Freya, the female singer, is not a bad surprise. Her voice is not perfect, she still has to work a bit but at least she has her own dark voice which doesn't sound like the one of the famous singers of the genre. She has a real Metal voice and that's a good thing in my opinion because it's different. The production is also really good but I would like to know where they hear Industrial sounds? maybe with the few lines of keyboards but? Same with "Gothic", I didn't find anything really gothic here except on the fact that the album is Dark that's right.

This album is not perfect unfortunately and a bit average yes. But all is not bad really and despite what I heard about this band, I really believe that it's good to have a female singer who doesn't sing with a high-pitched voice like the Sharon and other Floor... It's different at least. Though, the band will have to work on their compositions if they really want to become famous, right now it's just not really well inspired and will only please to the die-hard fans of the style.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 30.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 3 users
21.06.2007 - 08:40
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm not sure who writes the promo sheets for Locomotive, but "gothic" and "industrial" influences are completely misleading. In fact, I'd say it's detrimental to a band like this, because people have enough stereotypes about female fronted "gothic" bands that can make for a biased listening experience.

Now, I don't think this CD is a masterpiece by any means. Freya has an awesome voice, but the songs are just okay, and don't really stand out. The music is closer to "heavy" or simply "melodic" ... the guitarwork is chunky, fat riffs, that sound great - but where's the solos or the catchy riffs that get stuck in your head for hours later? It's just fat and big, but not much else.

I got my promo copy without any sheet so I didn't have a clue who the band was - and then I read this (and other) reviews as well and was simply confused as to what people were hearing. This CD isn't classic, but it shouldn't be dumped into a generic "female/gothic" category, and it has little resemblance to Lacuna Coil IMO. It's heavy metal, with a great raspy female vocalist and only average songs. So I think the review's rating isn't too far off mine (6.8 or so), I think the perspective on the review is a bit misleading...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Hits total: 4847 | This month: 2