04. 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
05. The Pot
06. Lipan Conjuring
07. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
08. Rosetta Stoned
09. Intension
10. Right In Two
11. Viginti Tres

We had to wait 5 years for a new release from Tool. Is 10,000 Days worth the wait? Well, the answer is a definitive yes, although this album is not actually Tool's best.

10,000 Days starts misleadingly with two quite accessible numbers in the form of "Vicarious" and "Jambi". The first is pure gold single material with its superb riff, phenomenal buildup and clever lyrics. "Jambi" is more meandering but still very memorable. Sadly, this is when it all falls apart. Halfway through the "Wings" duo, we realize that the band has absolutely no intention of being on the same page as the listener. The album becomes a meandering mess that requires very careful listening and even then doesn't gel into a very cohesive whole. It seems that Tool took their progressive leanings way too far this time around and committed the crime of self-indulgence, sacrificing the very important element of flow. I would be willing to overlook this lack of cohesion if closer listening resulted in the discovery of some really phenomenal things; however, this is not the case here. "The Pot" and "Rosetta Stoned" are very good and the rest of the tracks are acceptable. This is a far cry from Tool's previous, nearly flawless album Lateralus and is a bit of a disappointment.

Still, with all this said, 10,000 Days really isn't such a bad album. The good moments are definitely worth waging through all the murk for. This release wont be remembered as Tool's best but it is still a solid album and some of the best music you can hear this year.

Written on 28.04.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 353 users
28.05.2006 - 02:27
Rating: 9
bangladesh

Great album, takes a relative diferent direction. The voice is diferent but better (for my taste) and the gittar riffs are better than never.
The drums are great as always
28.05.2006 - 11:04
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Good review, has really grown on me. From utter despair to pleasant familiarity, I've experienced a wave of emotions about this album. Hopefully the bad vibes toward 10,000 days will deter people from listening for all the wrong reasons. It's not about easy accessibility. It's about developing a "relationship" with the music, like listening to the album in two years and remembering how you were feeling at that exact moment.
So, i'd buy this album for the artwork alone but otherwise just burn it from someone. Not a masterpiece, but solid nonetheless.
30.05.2006 - 03:58
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
50/50
I agree with the review, the good parts are amazing, but after the 4th song it all seems to go down hill, and alot of the songs you have to be on drugs to be able to enjoy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.05.2006 - 10:07
fire101
Account deleted
Well, I had been wondering about this album. I may or may not get it now. I still dont know.
05.06.2006 - 00:56
Freezer

maybe 8 is a bit low, isn't it? i can say i'm really satisfied with the work done for this disc, another great one from Tool!
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
13.08.2006 - 18:43
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I have to disagree with this review, I love all the album. It's pretty similar to Lateralus, And I love Lateralus. I'¿ve listened non-stopping since friday, I've only listened this. Over and over and over again. Another great Tool album. But hey, it's a matter of taste, and that is completely subjective.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
16.08.2006 - 17:43
Stone

The song " 10,000 Days " is just fuckin incredible.
----
-- There is no hope, why don't you ?.. --
10.09.2006 - 07:41
Somniferous
Account deleted
It's not their best album that's for sure. I was kind of disappointed when I first listened to it. Compared to Lateralus and Aenima (even Opiate and Undertow) they seemed to have lost their feel at first. If I knew of someone who wanted to get into Tool, I probably wouldn't suggest '10,000 Days' to them. I'd choose Lateralus as that was the album that really got me hooked.
10.09.2006 - 08:12
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I was very disappointed with this album. It's really slow and the songs really don't go anywhere. The first two songs are pretty good, but the rest are boring.
28.10.2006 - 03:05
Talvi

This album may be better than Lateralus. It takes a lot of time to catch the songs. And the Wings duo are the best songs Tool has ever done.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.12.2006 - 16:49
Muskot
Account deleted
Come on, you have to let them vary themselves. I think their philosophical tracks are just great, Right In Two and 10,000 Days easily become favourites when you get used to them.
Another great piece of plastic from Maynard Keenan and friends!
24.12.2006 - 01:25
Talvi

What do you people think of Intension?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
21.03.2007 - 10:06
Wilbur_Whateley
Account deleted
I actually think Intension is the best track on this album. Rosetta Stoned is good but problematic, it reminds me of Die Eier Von Satan but RS goes too long and becomes kinda self indulgent. Which is the problem with most of the album actually, it's self indulgent. Vicarious and Jambi are cool but the Wings combo is pretentious. Right in Two reminds me of Kubrick's 2001 though, you know, the bit at the start with the apes beating the shit out of each other.
12.02.2008 - 00:01
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Musically it's very similar to LAteralus, but it's certaonly harder to catch. I ahd to lñisten it a couple times before getting used... And I'm a big Tool fan.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.07.2008 - 12:19
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 13.08.2006 at 18:43

I have to disagree with this review, I love all the album. It's pretty similar to Lateralus, And I love Lateralus. I'¿ve listened non-stopping since friday, I've only listened this. Over and over and over again. Another great Tool album. But hey, it's a matter of taste, and that is completely subjective.

I think Anima is more similar to Lateralus than this album.
It's a good album but not as powerful as previous albums. I like those work which were done before.
But the 2econd part of 10000 days' song is amazing!
03.07.2008 - 04:50
THEE ORAKLE
Account deleted
I just loved this album...it´s really great!Vicarious, Jambi...Right in Two...almos allsongs are amazing!!For me just like all their albuns...fantastic!Dreamless...a quite unique marterpiece!
10.08.2008 - 09:32
Wakanaboo

amazing album....its a trip
----
_bleh!_
15.01.2009 - 21:10
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I've only heard the first two, Rosetta Stoned and The Pot... so if thoose are the only memorable tracks maybe I shouldn't buy this album, as planned...
16.02.2009 - 19:36
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
The pot is great one of the best songs by tool
----
Stay Metal !!!
03.07.2009 - 03:13
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
The Pot" and "Rosetta Stoned" are very good and the rest of the tracks are acceptable. This is a far cry from Tool's previous, nearly flawless album Lateralus and is a bit of a disappointment.

Agree with all written in the box up here
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.10.2010 - 03:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jupisafag on 10.10.2010 at 02:00

Written by Doc G. on 30.05.2006 at 03:58

50/50
I agree with the review, the good parts are amazing, but after the 4th song it all seems to go down hill, and alot of the songs you have to be on drugs to be able to enjoy. AND jupitreas IS A FAG

I AGREE LAST PART STUPID VIRGIN

hey daddy's cock sucking motherfucking closet homosexual Diminished ass rimmimg poor excuse for a human being get a life.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.11.2010 - 02:51
.Nemesis.

Maynard is the second best (melodic) vocalist out there.

#1 is I.C.S. Vortex of Dimmu Borgir
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
15.12.2010 - 04:55
Pathosray

If this band's notoriety's been growing so fast the most obvious reason is just that they're tanted. This is not the usual manner of aproach to prog metal I like, nonotheless I was amazed by its syncopathic percussions, graced vocals and intriguing, mysterious lyrics. I deemed them as too eccentric but that was before I actualy listened to this album, which amazione case has those lens which function I didn't immediately understand, and when I did, the artwork and illustrations took life!! pretty amazing
12.06.2011 - 04:57
godisdead

Great album I loved it should be around an 8.5ish
28.08.2011 - 02:18
ThisIsEndgame

Another album that i seem to disagree with most people on. i honestly love 10,000 days (wings part 2). Every single song on this album is great in my opinion, same with every tool song
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
24.11.2011 - 14:41
1Yossarian1

Written by ThisIsEndgame on 28.08.2011 at 02:18

Another album that i seem to disagree with most people on. i honestly love 10,000 days (wings part 2). Every single song on this album is great in my opinion, same with every tool song

i completely agree. 10, 000 days is definitely one of my favorite Tool songs, it takes some time to fully appreciate it, but ones you get it its awesome.
24.11.2011 - 20:53
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I only really liked the first two songs...the rest seemed rather bland and directionless. Although it's probably the closest I've come to liking a Tool album. I'd give it an average rating, but if the first two songs were an EP I'd give it a 9/10.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.03.2012 - 00:10
Sonic MrSumo

Whilst I don't enjoy this album as much as Lateralus, I believe it's still very, very strong, and Tool are walking a good path. The tedium of Undertow and Ænima is seemingly banished, and it has me looking forward to the next release later this year with great anticipation.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
29.05.2012 - 00:36
Baz Anderson

I'm only listening to this album for the first time today... I've listened to it almost three times and I'd tend to agree with this review. It starts very well, but does go off on a tangent. I do like some parts of the title track very much though.
26.09.2012 - 12:10
JD
Account deleted
I agree with the reveiw as well. The Pot is one of the highlights of this album. 7/10

Hits total: 10298 | This month: 18