04. Horn Of Betrayal
05. These Fighting Words
06. Head On To Heartache (Let Them Rot)
07. Monsters Of The Deep
08. Tirades Of Truth
09. Burning Sermon
10. When Summoned
11. The Axe Shall Fall

Devildriver's first release was mainly crap. 2005's The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand showed a dramatic improvement in the quality of their music, but suffered from a sometimes bland songwriting. It was the type of album that you just forget after a few days. Now, I cannot speak for the long term, but The Last Kind Words follows this upward trend of progression.

The form has not really changed, though the content has. Where before you could see a bunch of guys trying their hardest to sound extreme, in order to dissipate the last remnants of Dez Fafara's past and to move away from the more alternative scenes, Today you get a real band that have obviously, definitely, eventually found their way. I think the reason they've released such a fine album as The Last Kind Words is that they probably feel more secure about their place in the metal world after having toured with a lot of well-established bands (In Flames, Lamb Of God, Dimmu Borgir). As I said, the form is still the same, i.e. a mix of modern thrash, Gothenburg metal and hints of metalcore with an enormous production. To quote jupitreas's review of their previous album, "Devildriver have one very useful knack, which is sounding very modern and fresh even though they use musical elements that have already been played to death by other bands." That is absolutely true; you can find influences (rip-offs?) from a lot of bands in here, though the output is only Devildriver.

Although they've sometimes resumed their old habit of completely missing the target, like on the two tiresome, more alternative songs "Burning Sermon" (and its very strong nu metal feel) and "Monsters Of The Deep", most of the time they display amazing abilities at writing excellent, catchy songs. What impresses me most is the way the guitar players really stepped up and proposed some very cool riffs halfway between very fast thrash ("Clouds Over California") and excellent melodic death ("Bound By The Moon", "Horn Of Betrayal"). They are really the strong point of the band, as they are able to throw catchy melodic tunes that remind me of old In Flames as well as thrashing their way across the whole album (like on "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"). And when they go into pure metalcore, they simply write the standout track of the album, "These Fighting Words". This song is amazingly catchy, with the kind of chorus that you'll never forget, like it or not. It is bound to become a real live hymn. The second part of the album is a bit less amazing, save for the great closing track "The Axe Shall Fall" but the great achievement of the band is that The Last Kind Words is never boring. The other strong point is Dez Fafara's vocals. I've always been quite fond of his voice, and he confirms he's a very good extreme singer, as easy with low growls as with screeches.

As you may have begun to understand, this is a very strong album by a band which, I think, has not yet exploited its full potential. I am sure they can do much better, for example by varying the pace a bit (for now it's fast, fast, fast) or stopping to write filler tracks. When they do this, they'll be a real killer band. I hope those indeed were the last kind words, and that they're really going to release the fury soon.

Highlights: Clouds Over California, Bound By The Moon, Horn Of Betrayal, These Fighting Words

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Deadsoulman | 21.06.2007

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 145 users
21.06.2007 - 20:00
dancingdecember

i loved fury of our maker's hand it was very entertaining and will get this one too.im happy to see dez is on the right way.way to go !
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
22.06.2007 - 01:42
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
sounds pretty good, the new songs live were awesome, and I loved The Fury Of Our Makers Hand so it looks like Ill probably enjoy this one aswell.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.06.2007 - 18:57
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
This is a very decent album although I think the previous one had slightly more memorable songwriting. Tracks seem to mesh together on this album since they all follow a similar formula. Still, not a bad album at all...
23.06.2007 - 20:06
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I like this album a lot, it kinda sucks to see Terrorizer magazine give it 2.5 though =[
25.06.2007 - 00:36
supreamdeath
Account deleted
a new album to pit on
26.06.2007 - 19:37
Deadsoulman

Written by Guest on 23.06.2007 at 20:06

I like this album a lot, it kinda sucks to see Terrorizer magazine give it 2.5 though =[

2.5 out of what? And on which grounds?
27.06.2007 - 16:12
Baz Anderson

great album.. great album.
I have liked Devildriver from when they started.. and this album doesnt disappoint either.
very good indeed!!
28.06.2007 - 14:03
Rating: 9
Shadegrown

anybody lyrics maybe?
28.06.2007 - 14:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 26.06.2007 at 19:37

Written by Guest on 23.06.2007 at 20:06

2.5 out of what? And on which grounds?

2.5 out of 10 but dunno on which grounds, will have to find that review and I'll let you know.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2007 - 00:02
DVLDRVR
Account deleted
ok what...DevilDriver's first album wasn't crap...it was great...Nothing's Wrong?...Die(and Die Now) Devil's Son are all great songs just to name a few...and the fury was insane...i think The Last Kind Words deserves a perfect 10 outta 10...as do the other albums!!!!:banger:
04.07.2007 - 00:17
Sunioj

I like the change of vocals on this album to be honest, I think they improved their sound from their last album as this band continues to impress me. This reinstates me hope in devildriver, and Im definetly going to be listening to this album.
15.07.2007 - 12:57
Shadegrown

Written by jupitreas on 22.06.2007 at 18:57

This is a very decent album although I think the previous one had slightly more memorable songwriting. Tracks seem to mesh together on this album since they all follow a similar formula. Still, not a bad album at all...

I agree
15.08.2007 - 08:02
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
This album is pretty awesome, my friend introduced me to their self titled about 3 years ago and i've liked em ever since.
14.09.2007 - 15:27
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
this definetly is the best stuff of them,definetly one of this years greatest albums...
07.10.2007 - 10:50
rock_2_thrash

Awesome album.Heavier and Heavier !!! Love it
----
..the darkness and silence are the end of my song!!!!!
14.10.2007 - 02:18
Olli

Great album but I dont agree that their first release was crap. The first 2 albums were both amazing. This album is much the same but more melodic.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
09.12.2007 - 22:45
Sunioj

Written by Olli on 14.10.2007 at 02:18

Great album but I dont agree that their first release was crap. The first 2 albums were both amazing. This album is much the same but more melodic.

The first album had me hooked for a long time actualy, I thought it was great.
11.12.2007 - 20:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Yes their last album was better but this one still sounds great to my ears. I think it starts to decrease in quality as the end of the album approaches. Yes its not memorable but a good thrash release nevertheless. I really enjoy the vocals I say it again.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.06.2008 - 14:32
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Really good Death/Thrash Metal, some of the best stuff I've heard this year. Forget about Coal Chamber, forget about this band's first album, The Last Kind Words is the real deal, enjoy it!
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
04.10.2008 - 06:51
Barbaydos
Account deleted
all of Devildrivers albums are good but the last kind words is their top point so far, Coal Chamber was the birth place of Nu Metal and should be destroyed but he has certianly made up for it here.

Hits total: 10718 | This month: 14