04. Rhythm
05. Marginalized Thread
06. HIKARI
07. Eternal Memories And Reincarnation
08. Fingerprint Mark
09. Dawn And Gaze
10. Memories And The Limit
11. A Step In The Morning Glow

Do you still believe the government-fed lie that blackgaze came from black metal and shoegaze instead of from Japanese screamo?

Envy have been masters at blending the harsh vitriolic energy of post-hardcore and screamo with the subtle ethereal softness of post-rock for almost two decades. Does the contrasting blend of styles sound familiar? It should. With just seven albums under their belt and a debut in 1998, Envy have been one of the most important screamo bands ever, and their influence and innovation remains understated to this day. Think of them like putting La Dispute, Mono and Converge in a room. Honestly what is difficult about making such a comparison is that most of those bands came after Envy.

Envy seem to be comfortable releasing albums every five years, with their previous two being 2010's Recitation and 2015's Atheist's Cornea, and the runtime clearly wants to make up for the lost time. Though very few songs really go over the six minutes mark, the songs always feel like they're moving and the whole thing does have a bit of a cohesive sound all throughout, in that the albums constantly pushes its two extremes together, sometimes at very contradicting times, like the vocals getting harsher as the instrumental gets more serene and likewise the other way around. This works to a great effect, but I feel it would've worked even better on an album a tad shorter and with some more focus on between-songs variation, not just within-songs variation.

Between the two, the balance is clearly tipped towards the beautiful here, with blistering post-rock tremolos that feel overwhelmingly blissful. In fact, quite the entire album feels overwhelming, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in an exhausting way. The album does offer some breathing grounds to these moments, sometimes with some ambiance, sometimes with some clean backing vocals, but the mix of Alcest-like shrieks with Mono-like instrumentals and La Dispute-like spoken word with Deafheaven-like vitriol really drives the energy of this record to new highs. The language barrier this will likely have with most people (it's a Japanese band after all, but they don't even offer subtitles) won't be a detriment to how much overwhelming emotion pours out of this album.

And honestly, if a band would put some excess everything on an album right now, I'd rather them be Envy.

Written on 13.02.2020 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 2   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 72 users
15.02.2020 - 18:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Know of the band, never listened to them. Because, well, screamo. I see the other bands you mention and now I am curious. Mission accomplished friend. Excellent review and thanks.
----
rekt
15.02.2020 - 23:07
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.02.2020 at 18:24

Know of the band, never listened to them. Because, well, screamo. I see the other bands you mention and now I am curious. Mission accomplished friend. Excellent review and thanks.

Loads of great screamo out there, but very little that blends postrock like Envy. Also recommend checking out Orchid and pg.99
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 2593 | This month: 5