03. Of One Blood
04. The First Noble Truth
05. Fleshold
06. Root Bound Apollo
07. Revel In My Loss
08. Montauk
09. To Ashes
10. Serenity

Chapter two to the epic story that is Shadows Fall. This album is their first release on legendary record label Century Media, but the lineup for this album has been changed slightly: enter Brian Fair. After his previous hardcore band "Overcast" had broken up, he was invited to join Shadows Fall and replace previous vocalist, Phil Labonte, who would go on to form All That Remains. Brian, being a much more unique and diverse vocalist, proved to be a welcome addition to the band, and Matt Bachand was reported to have said "we've finally got our sound." This is Of One Blood.

In comparison to the previous album, this one is a slight improvement. While remaining in the melo-death domain, this album contains more elements of originality as well as diversity. I will begin by saying that Brian Fair is very much a key change in their sound, and thus their playing style. Upon his entry to the band it seems almost instantly a hardcore influence comes into play. Though the previous album had some hardcore influences (because all the members of SF are hardcore fans, truly) Brian, having come from a hardcore band, really upped the anty. These distinctions are made clear on songs like "The First Noble Truth" and "Of One Blood." John and Matt play considerably more melodically on this album as well, and while it can still be said to be a "melo-death" album, this is the first sign of their pulling away from that. Dave Germain once again spreads his sick drum work all over this album. Once more to refer to the song "First Noble Truth," it kicks off with a sick fill and doesn't slack all the way through. The bass work is pretty average stuff honestly, nothing too notable.

Another thing about this album that is kind of fun, is that they took a few of their songs from their original release and re-did them on this album. One song of these in particular I would like to discuss is the Shadows Fall Classic "To Ashes." In this reviewers opinion, Brian Fair does a better job than the original vocalist. With better production, better and tighter playing, and a better vocalist, this version of the track became what was more known amongst SF fans, and also made it more cult than it ever was before.

This album is great, any Shadows Fall fan, as well as just Melo-death or thrash fans in general, should get this album if they don't already have it. Get ready to throw this in your CD player and rattle your goddamn head.

Album Highlights: Crushing Belial, To ashes, Root Bound Apollo, The First Noble Truth.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Arian Totalis | 31.05.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Passenger
Rating:
In spite of being among the most hailed bands of the recent new wave of American Metal and considered as one of its pioneers, Shadows Fall didn't exactly stand out that much when they first started. In fact, "Somber Eyes To The Sky" was pretty generic in its range, hardly ever leaving the Melodic Death Metal roots it's centered on. "Of One Blood," the follow up, reveals, however, an interesting growth of influences; it seems to have been, in many ways, the laboratory Shadows Fall used to compress all their ideas before they went on to make a more balanced and effective album.

Read more ››
published 11.10.2006 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 17 users
22.06.2007 - 07:00
Ellie
Account deleted
Epic story sounds AMAZING. All I can think of is Rhapsody..I will definitely check this out. This sounds like an amazing album form what you say.
01.07.2007 - 04:42
V For Vitus
Account deleted
In my opinion Phil Labonte was better and yeah the bass work is pretty average lol.
01.07.2007 - 05:11
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
Shadows fall original album was kick ass and brutal to the extreme, but with Brian Fair they only went further, more diverse and all around better. hearing the remake of To Ashes with Brian Fair it is much better than with Phil Labonte, the vocals are deeper and all around better.
13.11.2009 - 21:17
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I haven't heard anything from this albumbut it sounds pretty good im going to check it out ;l
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 3850 | This month: 6