Style: Black metal, Folk metal
Release date: January 2020

01. 破軍 The Expendables
02. 殞殤 Desperate War
03. 慟嘯 Wailing Wrath
04. 歸隱 Hermit
05. 肅弒 Rainy Night Carnage
06. 哀忿 Despair And Resentment

In 638, Year of the Dog, Tang Emperor Taizong found himself contemplating recent decisions. Expanding his Empire ever Westward, he had recently come into contact with the also-expanding Tibetan Empire. Their Emperor, Songsten Gampo, had sent emissaries to the Tang requesting a marriage alliance. This request had been rejected by Taizong.

The annal tells that Songsten Gampo was significantly insulted by Taizong's denial. In a fury he plucked a nearby stringed instrument and began strumming manically, with his various servants beating drums in erratic, matching rhythm. This was a performance to which members of his counsel were accustomed, a signal that Gampo was about to launch a desperate war of despair and resentment. So resolved Songsten Gampo to deploy the expendables to the Chinese frontier city of Songzhou. They gave heavy battle, forcing Songzhou governor Han Wei himself to retreat. A disquiet ambiance then fell upon the Tang camp, and soldiers conjured melodies from wind flutes, somberly lamenting their fallen comrades and the wailing wrath of Songsten Gampo.

Emperor Taizong well knew that he could not allow this affront to go unanswered, but he was at loss for exactly how to answer. Consulting the hermit who lived in the rocky country, Taizong was advised thusly: "Invoke the vengeful spectre of war, and surprise them before the breath of dawn." Taizong heeded the advice, and subsequently sent forces to the outskirts of a Tibetan camp on their Empire's Eastern border. Under the guise of moonlight, the Tang forces crept stealthily through the Tibetan compound, their footsteps generating a slow, pulsating hum upon the landscape.

Suddenly the clouds above opened in downpour, and the Tang took that as their divine signal. Shrieking and howling wildly, they sprang into a frenzied assault, relentlessly stabbing, shooting, and setting fire to everything in sight. Louder and louder the noise of the battle grew, until they must have heard it in far distant Goryeo: the clash of swords, the cacophonous twang of arrows, the thunder of horse's hooves and the angry sky above, the feeble cries and pleads of the dying. Into a frightening, climactic thrash the volume grew, before finally subsiding to an eerie standstill. No further noise sounded but the wind's faint whistle on the horizon. It is told that all present Tibetans fell under the heel of the Tang in the rainy night carnage.

The Tang attack upon the Tibetan camp in the depths of night was the humbling that Emperor Songsten Gampo needed. Regretting his foolhardy actions, he sent various emissaries and tributes to Chang'an to apologize. This time Taizong, believing the scores settled, sent a distant niece back to the Tibetan Empire, and the marriage alliance was solidified. Again the wind flutes were sounded, this time in a jubilant rejoice. Though the annals tell that this was not the last time the vengeful spectre of battle would need be summoned against the Tibetans on the part of the Tang.

Written on 24.02.2020 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 130 users
24.02.2020 - 02:03
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
We shall keep the mandate of heaven by force
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.02.2020 - 02:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by RaduP on 24.02.2020 at 02:03

We shall keep the mandate of heaven by force

So saith Master Kong
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.02.2020 - 16:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hate bands what dont oublush line up, IMO we need ignore them no matter How good they sre
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.02.2020 - 16:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Bad English on 24.02.2020 at 16:09

I hate bands what dont oublush line up, IMO we need ignore them no matter How good they sre

That would be missing out on quite a number of good bands then. At the end of the day who gives a fuck?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.02.2020 - 21:28
nikarg
staff
What is "oublush"?
24.02.2020 - 22:17
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by nikarg on 24.02.2020 at 21:28

What is "oublush"?

From the "Bad English - English" dictionary: oublush = publish
----
signatures = SPAM
24.02.2020 - 22:25
nikarg
staff
Written by Starvynth on 24.02.2020 at 22:17

I generally see myself as a very competent BE translator, but this really baffled me.

On topic: This review is so good. I've seen how hyped this album is but haven't found the time to listen to it yet.
25.02.2020 - 00:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I type from mobile so, its hard. I spinned this one a bit, was good, but I Want line up for ns sake, i hate good bands can be active. I think this band can jump hiher Because this review, i saw rade add i checked it out was interesting. I like Che work, mid part was great to read
----

apos;'
[image]
25.02.2020 - 01:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by nikarg on 24.02.2020 at 22:25

On topic: This review is so good. I've seen how hyped this album is but haven't found the time to listen to it yet.

Thanks bud! I've done something like this once before, with my review of Dark Buddha Rising's Inversum.... a review that describes the mood the album conjures with a story, as opposed to the more traditional, "straightforward" review. It's a fun little shift up every now and then, I think, as long as not done too excessively.

Musically this album is pretty great. I don't want to compare too much but I'm reminded a lot of Absu at points, similar thrashy black metal intensity. They also really nail the Chinese vibe th the folk instrumentation which I think few BM bands who focus on China manage to. I think my favorite China-themed BM band would still be Zuriaake but these guys are pretty cool and this is a very nice debut.
----

~ II. VII
25.02.2020 - 09:21
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by nikarg on 24.02.2020 at 21:28

What is "oublush"?

A type of makeup, french blush, I guess.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.02.2020 - 11:06
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

I generally see myself as a very competent BE translator, but this really baffled me.

BE mostly misses close letters on the keyboard.
25.02.2020 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 25.02.2020 at 11:06

BE mostly misses close letters on the keyboard.

Yes from mobile since it has no spell check, and its hard to use.

PS we can discuss nit rewiev in the pub
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2020 - 00:37
qnick90
Another great stuff that I just cannot enjoy because of the vocals

Hits total: 2318 | This month: 6