Poll

Which band do you like more and why?

Immolation
Incantation

Total votes: 68
24.06.2007 - 03:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Incantation and Immolation both played crucial roles in the development of the New York death metal scene, and through the years they have earned highly regarded reputations. Both bands formed in the late 80's and play a similar style of death metal. Even their names sound the same!

I voted for Immolation because I find them to be more interesting. Incantation tends to sound the same with every album they release, while Immolation adds more depth to their songs. I enjoy the vocals by Ross and John, but I think that Immolation's Ross Dolan slightly edges out John. His deep growls are just fucking menacing, and with the help of the music, create even more energy. His lyrics also make the overall atmosphere of their music much more dark.
24.06.2007 - 06:28
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Dude, I was actually contemplating about making this poll. In any case, I vote for Immolation because of the same reason you did: they are more interesting and are not as repetitive as Incantation.
24.06.2007 - 15:33
Stigmatized
Good thread pyro.

Went with Immolation, because they're one of my favorite bands. Everyone of their albums is top notch. Incantation is good, but can't match anything by Immolation.
24.06.2007 - 20:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From Immolation i like only Dawn of Possession but Incantation Onward to Golgotha so i know only first albums of bands :shit; what im doing in pool
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.06.2007 - 00:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Incantation for me, Death metal isnt one of my top genres of choice, but at a time when I listened to alot more DM Incantation was pretty high up there on the play count, especially "The Foresaken Mourning Of Angelic Anguish". Someone showed me Immolation after I slowed down on my death metal intake so it didnt really please me as much.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.06.2007 - 03:52
Mega-Slayer
Incantation is from Pennsylvania, but they probably played in New York often. Anyway Immolation definitley gets my vote, they set themselves apart from the other bands, and Incantation doesn't really strike you as unique. I like some of the riffing on their debut, but not to much else. In a way though they can be considered similar with the really low vocals and anti-religious themes.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
25.06.2007 - 04:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Mega-Slayer on 25.06.2007 at 03:52

Incantation is from Pennsylvania, but they probably played in New York often.

That's what it says on M-A, but they're considered part of the NYDM scene for some reason.
25.06.2007 - 14:45
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Well, both are great i voted Immolation becoz i enjoyed them a bit more then Incantation.
27.06.2007 - 21:22
I voted Incantation. I really want to like Immolation, and every website with computerized recommendations (Amazon, Pandora) tells me that this is the band for me. But the songs that I've heard from them do nothing but piss me off.
Incantation is a band that I have to be in the mood for. I can listen to them one day and think that they are one of the death metal elite, and the next, I will think of them as an impenetrable wall of noise. But I pulled out their discography yesterday after a long layoff, and I forgot how much that they can kick ass.
11.07.2007 - 04:45
Cassandra
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.06.2007 at 04:27

That's what it says on M-A, but they're considered part of the NYDM scene for some reason.

alot of bands from the tristate area are considered NYDM. but being from NYC area and meeting the guys and all, oh, god i love immolation. i have seen incantation as well, but for me, immolation really is up in the top talent in terms of death metal.... its sometimes a challenge to sound different, or stand out from other death metal bands, but i think immolation does a fine job of that
11.07.2007 - 07:41
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Immolation, among my top ten favorite death metal bands
08.08.2007 - 06:11
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 11.07.2007 at 04:45

alot of bands from the tristate area are considered NYDM. but being from NYC area and meeting the guys and all, oh, god i love immolation. i have seen incantation as well, but for me, immolation really is up in the top talent in terms of death metal.... its sometimes a challenge to sound different, or stand out from other death metal bands, but i think immolation does a fine job of that

Ah, so does "tri-state area" mean NY, Jersey and Penn? I always wondered about that, thanks

I've got less than 20 songs from both these bands combined so I can't really vote... I know Immol is great but a lot of their songs tend to eventually lose my attention, though the same could be said for Incantation. I love their song Anoint the Chosen because its riff style is very similar to what I would do (and a few others like Dying Divinity cos they're similar to that, however that's not necessarily a good point ) but I also fell in love with a weird instrumental song Immol released recently. It was on some sampler, I've got its title down as "13013" which seems so weird so I'm not sure, I just know it owns. I've got a feeling the rest of their stuff isn't like that though =\ All I can say is Immolation is probably more unique.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
11.08.2007 - 23:59
Cassandra
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 08.08.2007 at 06:11

Written by Guest on 11.07.2007 at 04:45

Ah, so does "tri-state area" mean NY, Jersey and Penn? I always wondered about that, thanks

I've got less than 20 songs from both these bands combined so I can't really vote... I know Immol is great but a lot of their songs tend to eventually lose my attention, though the same could be said for Incantation. I love their song Anoint the Chosen because its riff style is very similar to what I would do (and a few others like Dying Divinity cos they're similar to that, however that's not necessarily a good point ) but I also fell in love with a weird instrumental song Immol released recently. It was on some sampler, I've got its title down as "13013" which seems so weird so I'm not sure, I just know it owns. I've got a feeling the rest of their stuff isn't like that though =\ All I can say is Immolation is probably more unique.

yeah state area is NY/PA/NJ metro areas.
05.01.2008 - 16:04
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Incantation all the way, Immolation slay live and have some great tunes, but they're one of the most overrated death metal bands ever in my opinion.
05.01.2008 - 16:45
Sunioj
Immolation for me. Incantation is awesome, don't get me wrong. But I think Immolation has more innovative/historical value for the scene then Incantation, plus Dawn of Possession is one of my all time favorite DM albums.
06.01.2008 - 01:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 05.01.2008 at 16:04

Incantation all the way, Immolation slay live and have some great tunes, but they're one of the most overrated death metal bands ever in my opinion.

Have you heard the newest Immolation album, Shadows in the Light? I think it's one of the best album they've ever made, and tramples anything Incantation has done.

And you're right about them dominating live.
06.01.2008 - 02:36
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
I don't actually listen to death metal that got released after 1996 (with some exceptions), but I will see Immolation live again this year, so I'll maybe give it a try.
06.01.2008 - 02:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ok cool - when I saw Immolation a couple of months ago, they practically played the new album in it's entirety and it was very satisfying.
11.03.2008 - 18:14
ABUSOR
Account deleted
They're both just as important as the other in the Death Metal scene. I like both bands a fair bit. I choose Incantation for their Brutality and John McEntee's awesome riffs. Immolation are awesome though and I would consider Dawn Of Possession a Death Metal classic but so is Incantation's Onward To Golgotha. Both bands rule
13.06.2009 - 14:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Immolation with great difficulty...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.07.2009 - 01:47
Ankläger
Really into atmospheric stuff, so I have to go with Immolation.
28.07.2009 - 12:52
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
This is a tough one. I've been into Incantation for a while, got all their albums but only have the debut and Close To A World Below by Immolation. From what I've heard, Immolation have made some below par stuff, like whatever Harnessing Ruin is on, but a lot of the songs I've heard are excellent. Overall a lot more atmospheric and evil than Incantation (well, maybe not more evil). Incantation have also made some crap albums though: Infernal Storm is a waste of time and Decimate Christendom gets really repetitive. I'll go with Incantation because Onward To Golgotha is my favourite DM album. Diabolical Conquest is also a classic.

EDIT: Shit, I voted for Immolation by mistake!
10.01.2010 - 17:59
I_Die_Often
They rate the same with me... Like 'em both!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
03.11.2010 - 07:41
GodFugitive
I don't think it's possible to compare the 2 bands. While Immolation is very melodic and creative, they are quite "soft" compared to Incantation. Incantation is one of the hardest hitting bands out there, period.
03.11.2010 - 16:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Immolation is more technical and overall interesting for me, so I'll go with them. But Incantation are more blasphemous and bombastic.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.06.2011 - 22:18
Damshak
Incantation his songs is better that the Immolation
03.07.2011 - 02:44
Immolation wins this one.
03.07.2011 - 04:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Immolation takes my vote. Their music is simply more powerful, thevocals are mencaing as Dangerboner said. I've never heard death metal like the one I've heard from Close To A World Below. Such an amazing track with wonderful lyrics.

Yeah, they take my vote. There's some slightly doomy vibe I enjoy from them too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.07.2011 - 07:45
Void Eater
Account deleted
Both are great bands, but Immolation is more unique. Countless bands have taken major Incantation influence in their music, especially in the past decade, with bands such as Funebrarum and Blaspherian playing the same style better than Incantation. The only band I've ever eard take major Immolartion influence is Drawn and Quarted, another favorite DM band of mine.
27.05.2014 - 05:22
ditmas_duke
The Incantation discography is flawless. Not one stinker album. Immolation has Harnessing Ruin, sketchy drumming on that release. Some tracks "experimenting" with "nu metalcore" find it so hard to listen to that one.

I can't even think of a single Incantation song that I don't like in some way.