Metal Storm logo
Mephistopheles

26.06.2007 - 06:29
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Tasmanian metal act Mephistopheles are one of my favourite bands at the moment. They play Technical Death Metal with springs of jazzy break-downs which really add to the grooves of their technical guitar riffs and intense growls.

If your a fan of Psycroptic's first two albums, then you must check these lads out. Matthew Chalk who preformed vocals for Psycroptic shares vocal duties with these guys doing what he does best. Their technical styles and thrown in jazz grooves make thes guys a great experience live.

Tracks and more information can be found on the bands Myspace.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
26.06.2007 - 11:14
Stigmatized
They a nice sound to them. The vocals are low but not completely incomprehensible(?). Another album on the "To Buy" list.
28.06.2007 - 18:03
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Was a little disappointed with their preformance last night. They hadnt played live in 4 months and to me it showed, just didnt seem to play as tight as Ive seen them in the past.

Matthew Chalk was the vocalist for most of the set (except the first song), and that was probably the highlight of their set as he is a bloody good vocalist with his range of death metal growls. A couple of new songs were also on their set list but unfortunatly because of the poor sound thanks to the guy on the mixing desk, it was hard to make a good judgement on the songs.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
29.06.2007 - 12:35
AlGore
Account deleted
I liked them, dont understand why they labeled themselves as partly BM though...
29.06.2007 - 18:35
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Guest on 29.06.2007 at 12:35

I liked them, dont understand why they labeled themselves as partly BM though...

They dont, there is another band under the same name that is Black Metal. The one you've listened to isnt this band then, dude.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.01.2008 - 15:37
Bartulus
listening to them at the moment but it's too early to say anything either really good or bad...
07.01.2008 - 09:55
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
You'd consider calling them bad? Hah, yeah, right.

Update: Matthew Chalk (ex-Psycroptic) has now become the perminant vocalist for the band. Not sure why Ben and Julz steeped down - they still do backings on live sets - but atleast we know what Chalky can do. The new material sounds quite good too so it's shapping up to be a good upcoming release.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.01.2008 - 13:19
Bartulus
I'm not calling them bad but also not outstanding - just a standard techdeath - that's all
08.01.2008 - 15:11
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I know you weren't. Ohwell, thanks for checking them out.

Julz had to have surgery on his hand today so they've had to pull out of a gig on the 26th. Was looking forward to the new set as last gig I helping bail my mate out of a brawl in the pit, haha. Fun times.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
10.01.2008 - 04:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
That's awesome to hear they have a better vocalist now. I'm not that big on what they've made so far, but I've only listened to a handful of songs. I am looking forward to their next album though!
10.01.2008 - 07:21
kellyxsmalls
Account deleted
Written by Xtreme Jax on 29.06.2007 at 18:35

They dont, there is another band under the same name that is Black Metal. The one you've listened to isnt this band then, dude.

uhh, theyre myspace has black metal listed as one of their genres.
maybe you should stop being such a prick about shit.
this is pretty sub-par when it comes to death metal (pretty fuckin tame) and not seein much technicality in it either.
am i missing something?
10.01.2008 - 08:52
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Guest on 10.01.2008 at 07:21

Written by Xtreme Jax on 29.06.2007 at 18:35

uhh, theyre myspace has black metal listed as one of their genres.
maybe you should stop being such a prick about shit.
this is pretty sub-par when it comes to death metal (pretty fuckin tame) and not seein much technicality in it either.
am i missing something?

Haha, so does alot of other extreme metal bands that are one myspace, smartarse. Was just making sure that it wasn't the other band that shares the same name that is of the genre black metal.

And on you're opinion - to each their own.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.01.2008 - 09:12
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Wow, the punk got his 2 worthless cents in. Good job.

EDIT: And to make this not a worthless post, why Julz won't be playing for awhile;

Ouch Picture
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.01.2008 - 11:49
Fuath
what are the names of the albums they have out so far?
Myspace is being a bitch for me, and i cant find them anywhere else
but they sure as hell sound interesting
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

21.01.2008 - 13:54
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Fuath on 19.01.2008 at 11:49

Only one full length so far, Ascension Aborted which was released in 2006. If you like, matey, contact me and I'll see if I have any more copies about and could send via mail (paid ofcourse) to you with some free stuff - nothing special, just some Ruins stickers and maybe Pscyoprtic or Mepho ones if theres any left.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
21.01.2008 - 23:47
Fuath
Written by Xtreme Jax on 21.01.2008 at 13:54

Written by Fuath on 19.01.2008 at 11:49

Only one full length so far, Ascension Aborted which was released in 2006. If you like, matey, contact me and I'll see if I have any more copies about and could send via mail (paid ofcourse) to you with some free stuff - nothing special, just some Ruins stickers and maybe Pscyoprtic or Mepho ones if theres any left.

sweet,
ill have a think and get back to you later
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

23.01.2008 - 11:47
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Take your time, man. For cd it's only $15 (from memory - might be $20) plus postage which would only be $4-5. PM when you're interested.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
24.01.2008 - 13:47
Eternal Flames
Ah, good ol' Chalky. I've always been interested and enjoyed most of the projects that he has been involved with. First time I've actually heard Mepistopheles now and they're a good band. Lots of great and in my opinion, underated, death metal seems to come from Tasmania.

I really like the jazzy influence, if that's what you could describe it as, that Mephistopheles have underpinning their music. I wouldn't say it's above average technical death metal, although they're quite an enjoyable listen to say the least.