Metal Storm logo
Bandcamp - Waives Share Of Sales For 24 Hours To Support Artists

Official statement:

"The Covid-19 pandemic is in full force, and artists have been hit especially hard as tours and shows are being canceled for the foreseeable future. With such a major revenue stream drying up almost entirely, finding ways to continue supporting artists in the coming months is now an urgent priority for anyone who cares about music and the artists who create it. The good news is that we're already seeing many fans going above and beyond to support artists across Bandcamp.

"To raise even more awareness around the pandemic's impact on musicians everywhere, we're waiving our revenue share on sales this Friday, March 20 (from midnight to midnight Pacific Time), and rallying the Bandcamp community to put much needed money directly into artists' pockets.

"For many artists, a single day of boosted sales can mean the difference between being able to pay rent or not. Still, we consider this just a starting point[...] It may sound simple, but the best way to help artists is with your direct financial support, and we hope you'll join us on Friday and through the coming months as we work to support artists in this challenging time."

Ethan Diamond
Co-Founder & CEO
Bandcamp

Source: daily.bandcamp.com
Posted: 20.03.2020 by nikarg

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 74 users
20.03.2020 - 06:40
Dirty populism
Bandcamp and Support Artists? never was a "="
- reduce of absurd 15% tax? hell no
- jump on the hype train and increase your reputation through it? hell yes
20.03.2020 - 08:08
The Entity

Well, its a nice gesture atleast. If only to raise more awereness what this pandemic is doing to artists. Specially the ones with tours cancelled...
----
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Industrial / Cosmic Black Metal
20.03.2020 - 09:40
nikarg

Written by christmas.inHell on 20.03.2020 at 06:40

Dirty populism
Bandcamp and Support Artists? never was a "="
- reduce of absurd 15% tax? hell no
- jump on the hype train and increase your reputation through it? hell yes

15% is not absurd at all, especially compared to less than a penny per stream, which is what Spotify pays. It is not like the internet is a free space, dude. And any artist can open an account and upload their music, no middleman or label is needed. Labels check out and sign bands through Bandcamp all the time. It's not perfect but it is definitely the best out there and the one that actually pays the most to the artists.

To return to the news topic, for everything you buy today this 15% profit that Bandcamp makes will go to artist. So even if you don't want to give any money to Bandcamp, this is your chance to support the bands you love because they will get 100% of what you'll pay. If you actually buy your music, that is.
20.03.2020 - 13:07
nikarg

Also, Agonia Records is extending the current sale it has on bandcamp, with every digital album costing $3.9 (?3.63) and an additional 10% off digital and physical products for the next 7 days (discount code: ukulele). This is for already released albums, not pre-orders of upcoming ones.
20.03.2020 - 14:28
Still a worthless populism
bandcamp rule -
Quote:
Yes, the revenue share on digital drops from 15% to 10% as soon as you reach $5,000 USD in sales (and stays there, provided you've made at least $5,000 in the past 12 months)

for small bands it's fckn nothing , zero attempt to support underground umbrella

i'm not blaming bandcamp but also nothing to thank for
24 Hours thing pointless as a throw water into the sea.
i want a bit too much
but its just too obvious that my eye begins to twitch when someone tries to make out that he "cares" about something
but that's just a bullshit
there is something more in his hands, but "he" never changes it, because he is too greedy for that
so fuck this populism
never gonna change my opinion about bc , 15 and 10 % its a large, freaking huge thing for newest band
and what they do?!
and am not even a musician to be worry about that
20.03.2020 - 15:38
Lanthros

I'd like to see the labels give all profit from direct sales to the bands while this is going on. It saddened me to see heavy devy have to make a ho fund me just to survive.
20.03.2020 - 15:46
MetalManic

Written by christmas.inHell on 20.03.2020 at 14:28

and am not even a musician to be worry about that

Wanna sell that soapbox?
20.03.2020 - 18:04
nikarg

Written by Lanthros on 20.03.2020 at 15:38

ho fund me

I know it's a typo but I just can't stop laughing
21.03.2020 - 11:00
Lanthros

Written by nikarg on 20.03.2020 at 18:04

Written by Lanthros on 20.03.2020 at 15:38

ho fund me

I know it's a typo but I just can't stop laughing

Lmao I didn't even notice before. Sounds like pimp slang.
30.03.2020 - 12:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have seen many bands post news that that upload whole discography to download and stream on band camp , its time to get rare albums on legal way
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.12.2020 - 21:52
Cuntress

No Bandcamp Friday in January 2021😭

Hits total: 1322 | This month: 2