05. Útgarđr
06. Urjotun
07. Flight Of Thought And Memory
08. Storms Of Utgard
09. Distant Seasons

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2020

Additional info
Comes with a 16-page booklet.

Also available with signed insert from Recordstore.co.uk. And as special bundle with patch on Nuclear Blast store, limited to 250 pieces.

English translation of the titles:
2. The Giant's Cauldron
5. Utgard

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Given how explorative their career had been from their beginning up until 2010's iconic Axioma Ethica Odini, Enslaved's last few albums were surprisingly similar stylistically. Utgard is here to change that.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2020 | Comments (27)

Found in 52 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 953 users
23.03.2020 - 02:54
Maco
Pvt Funderground
It's simple. I see new Enslaved, I get happy.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
23.03.2020 - 13:05
Rating: 10
toussa
The cover art is really nice ! Hope the music will be at least as good !
23.03.2020 - 13:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Song 9 has cool title.
I dont expect to be as old bm album, but I sopose i will get a bit from this, one song will be some hit in some way.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2020 - 15:12
Rating: 8
Czerny Reiter
As good as bought. They simply can do no wrong.
24.03.2020 - 03:22
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very excited for this, they have never let me down.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
24.03.2020 - 10:52
ickoriss
They've been on a hot streak with the last several records. I can't wait to hear this.
06.04.2020 - 21:04
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Come on... At least share a song.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.04.2020 - 12:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Meaning behind the album's title,

UTGARD - A Journey To The Outer Limits

"Utgard" bears countless meanings to us; an image, metaphor, an esoteric "location", a word on its own etc - on different levels and layers. From Norse mythology we know it as a landscape were the giants roam; where the gods of Asgard have no control; dangerous, chaotic, uncontrollable and where madness, creativeness, humor and chaos dwells.

The album is a journey into and through Utgard. It is a place of unification of that which is above and that which lies below. It is not about avoiding fear of the pitch-black darkness (it will keep on growing until the next confrontation), but to go into the darkness itself. This is the rebirth of the individual. In a world that has become so obsessed with the false lights of greed, jealousy and egotism this is a necessary journey.

Utgard is not a fairytale, it is a vital part of both your mind and your surroundings, and it has been since the dawn of mankind. Acknowledging that this realm exists and is a vital part of the self, has inspired us deeply since the early days of our lives. Enjoy our journey to the outer limits.

Source: Facebook
12.04.2020 - 14:05
nonZero
Hope this is better then the last album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
22.05.2020 - 09:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Cowabunga, folks. New single streaming.

22.05.2020 - 11:05
musclassia
staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.05.2020 at 09:53

Cowabunga, folks. New single streaming.

I rather like it - it started off a bit so-so but I really enjoyed where it went.

nice to hear Hakon going a bit harder halfway through - adds a different tone to Herbrand's vocals
09.06.2020 - 11:15
EXEbeast
I believe we'll have different clean vocals in different songs, or even all of the vocals in the same song. Interesting.
02.10.2020 - 18:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Can't wait to check it out, downloading now off Bandcamp - thanks Enslaved for making it *MUCH* easier to buy a digital copy of this one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.10.2020 - 18:17
Necrodamus
Yet another great release from a consistently great band. I love the direction the went with on this one; shorter songs with more memorable riffs and melodies. Call me crazy, but I hear Funeral off Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend in the middle section of Sequence. That part in particular is really nice.
04.10.2020 - 13:05
MeloDeth
Written by Necrodamus on 03.10.2020 at 18:17

Yet another great release from a consistently great band. I love the direction the went with on this one; shorter songs with more memorable riffs and melodies. Call me crazy, but I hear Funeral off Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend in the middle section of Sequence. That part in particular is really nice.

I totally agree with you, that part is really similar to Ocean Machine's Funeral.
I didn't like their last 2 albums that much but in this album all songs are enjoyable.
05.10.2020 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From old Enslaved fan point of view, its nothing
From album, song writing and creativity its decent album. More you listen more you like it. It has BM, Prog BM, Pop parts. Vocals are between harsh n clean sometimes, its clean, sometimes harsher. This album deserves check out, and get some points because band tried. Not their best, not on regular play list if you know firts 4 albums, but this is good one.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.10.2020 - 17:17
Rulatore
Their best in a while, sounds like they were finally trying instead of just pushing long songs with no songwriting depth to hold it together
06.10.2020 - 03:02
Tuonelan
What sticks with me most on this album is how much it feels to me that the band as a whole is contributing to the final product. The last time I felt like this was probably AEO, where there were moments in the songs that you knew would not have been there without Herbrand or Cato or Ice Dale coming in and doing something all their own that went beyond the outlines of what Ivar and Grutle gave them. Riitiir, In Times and E showed plenty of evolution in the overall sound of the band, but didn't feel as collaborative. The keys here don't sound like they were written by Ivar and played by the keyboardist, they sound like Hakon. The vocals feel like they are picking between vocalist to find the right voice rather than just being harsh/clean and switching accordingly. And Ice Dale's solos definitely feel like they are showing more of his progressive rock influences in the tones and melodies.

That and the production is really nice on this. There is space for all the instruments in the mix and it feels really spacious. And the DR of 8db gives the mix a chance to breathe.

I can't wait to give this more spins.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
06.10.2020 - 06:16
Rating: 7
tintinb
The intro to the first song sounded so much like an intro to a Hindu Yajna. This was a good album but in all honesty nothing great. I liked their In Times much better. E was also not half bad.
----
Leeches everywhere.
08.10.2020 - 08:28
Lord Slothrop
I enjoyed this album much more than I thought I would. 8.5.
08.10.2020 - 11:16
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very enjoyable album, great songwriting and wonderful use of melody and heavier elements. Enslaved are incredibly consistent.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.10.2020 - 05:10
mikeprado30
The musical experiences that Enslaved has given me are priceless, and this time I can say we are before one of the best musical albums of this 2020.

And as the user Ace Frawley said, the consistency level of this band is really SUPERB!
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
15.10.2020 - 01:43
Liquid
I get a lot of Vertebrae vibes off this one. Not complaining AT ALL.
30.10.2020 - 12:46
metalbrat
A big U turn made from E, which was a least favourite album for me that year. But the following sequence of songs made me repeat listens. Sure one amongst my top 10 of the year.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
11.11.2020 - 23:18
Rating: 4
I listened all the way to track #4 and had to stop there. There's too many ideas going on without it melding well together. Plus I'm just not a fan of the progressive sounding guitar work.
21.11.2020 - 04:56
rps
Kinda going back in the direction of Vertebrae, and earlier stuff. Just brilliant of them not to go in a predictable direction. Drawing from their roots. Way to go!
19.01.2021 - 19:18
gavdann
Written by quieted_darkness on 11.11.2020 at 23:18

I listened all the way to track #4 and had to stop there.

I think this sums up why I'm struggling with it as well. Too many ideas, to the point the songs just don't move me.
31.08.2022 - 15:43
Zap
Man, this has become my go-to Enslaved album. They really reinvented themselves (again) and at the same time pulled from so many previous albums. Absolutely nailed it.

Hits total: 12882 | This month: 29