Metal Storm logo
Savatage Albums Ranked From Best To Worst

Created by: majormalfunction | 05.04.2020

1. Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King
1987 Rating: 9 Top picks: Hall of the Mountain King, Devastation, Beyond the Doors of the Dark
2. Savatage - The Wake Of Magellan
1997 Rating: 9 Top picks: Turns to Me, Wake of Magellan, The Hourglass
3. Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera
1991 Rating: 9 Top picks: Jesus Saves, Can You Hear Me Now, Believe
4. Savatage - Poets And Madmen
2001 Rating: 9 Top picks: Morphine Child, Surrender, Back to a Reason
5. Savatage - The Dungeons Are Calling
1984 Rating: 9 Top picks: The Dungeons are Calling, City Beneath the Surface, By The Grace of the Witch
6. Savatage - Gutter Ballet
1989 Rating: 8 Top picks: Gutter Ballet, Hounds, The Unholy
7. Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
1995 Rating: 8 Top picks: This is the Time, One Child, Not What You See
8. Savatage - Handful Of Rain
1994 Rating: 8 Top picks: Chance, Castles Burning, Symmetry
9. Savatage - Sirens
1983 Rating: 6 Top picks: Sirens, Scream Murder, Out on the Streets
10. Savatage - Edge Of Thorns
1993 Rating: 6 Top picks: He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, Edge of Thorns
11. Savatage - Power Of The Night
1985 Rating: 5 Top picks: Power of the Night, Unusual, Warriors
12. Savatage - Fight For The Rock
1986 Rating: 5 Top picks: Red Light Paradise, Fight for the Rock, The Edge of Midnight

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by majormalfunction ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 8   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 38 users
05.04.2020 - 18:23
JoHn Doe

Not an easy thing to do to rank these albums.
Edge of Thorns is one of my favorites from them, kinda low in your list, if I made a list like that, it would be in the top 3.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.04.2020 - 16:04
majormalfunction

Written by JoHn Doe on 05.04.2020 at 18:23

Edge of Thorns is one of my favorites from them, kinda low in your list, if I made a list like that, it would be in the top 3.

It was not easy but i'm pretty happy for now, in 5 years time I surley will listen to all of them in order again and then probably there will be changes to the order.

Edge of Thorns is a tough one, when it's good it's really good and Criss Oliva plays his heart out but there's too many "hard rock"-tracks that leaves me cold, and even some songs that I do enjoy like Damian and Miles Away don't stick with me the way Savatage songs usually do.

You should post a own album ranking of their albums, would be fun to see other peoples lists

Written by Irritable Ted on 05.04.2020 at 18:40

Got to be between Dead Winter Dead, Streets and Gutter Ballet for me.

If Conception can come back, how about one more?

Sure that's a good comparison, the reunion of Conception was a huge suprise and I have yet to listen to the newly released album but they seem to do it right. With Paul O'neill gone it seems one way like the possibility would be closer (since he was the one who pushed TSO) but on the other hand I fear a new Savatage album would be more like a Jon Oliva solo record today.

I was sure that we would see some life from Savatage after the Wacken show but that's now 5 years ago (?). Feels like time is running out.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
06.04.2020 - 16:10
JoHn Doe

Written by majormalfunction on 06.04.2020 at 16:04

Written by JoHn Doe on 05.04.2020 at 18:23

It was not easy but i'm pretty happy for now, in 5 years time I surley will listen to all of them in order again and then probably there will be changes to the order.

Edge of Thorns is a tough one, when it's good it's really good and Criss Oliva plays his heart out but there's too many "hard rock"-tracks that leaves me cold, and even some songs that I do enjoy like Damian and Miles Away don't stick with me the way Savatage songs usually do.

You should post a own album ranking of their albums, would be fun to see other peoples lists

Before I would make a Savatage list, I'd need some re-listening first, but yeah, it's an idea to take into consideration.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.04.2020 - 22:24
Redel

Hey, it is good to see this list.
We have already discussed where we agree and where we differ.
For the sake of completion, here is my list.

1. Handful of Rain (9.2)
2. Gutter Ballet (8.9)
3. Streets (8.7)
4. Hall of the Mountain King (8.3)
5. Edge of Thorns (7.8)
6. Dungeons (7.6)
7. Dead Winter (7.6)
8. Poets (7.4)
9. Magellan (7.1)
10. Sirens (6.9)
11. Power of the night (6.0)
06.04.2020 - 22:31
majormalfunction

Written by Redel on 06.04.2020 at 22:24

Hey, it is good to see this list.
We have already discussed where we agree and where we differ.
For the sake of completion, here is my list.

1. Handful of Rain (9.2)
2. Gutter Ballet (8.9)
3. Streets (8.7)
4. Hall of the Mountain King (8.3)
5. Edge of Thorns (7.8)
6. Dungeons (7.6)
7. Dead Winter (7.6)
8. Poets (7.4)
9. Magellan (7.1)
10. Sirens (6.9)
11. Power of the night (6.0)

Great! Very different from mine but always nice to see other peoples list. Handful of Rain in first place is interesting choice.

You forgot Fight for the Rock btw, I guess it's last?
----
06.04.2020 - 22:40
Redel

Written by majormalfunction on 06.04.2020 at 22:31

Handful of Rain in first place is interesting choice.
You forgot Fight for the Rock btw, I guess it's last?

Yeah, I know, it is quite odd to have Handful on top.
If I remember correctly, Handful and Streets where my first Savatage albums.
Love at first sight. With Handful the love always stayed, with Streets it vanished slightly over the years.
I guess I always saw -- and loved -- Savatage more like a hard-rockish Metal band. That was certainly for Handful and Streets. And that is probably why I -- still today -- like Handful the most (while for others it is too hard-rockish).
But I have to say that the more Metal-like albums, such as Gutter Ballet and Hall, grew on my heavily over the last 20 years, and thus come closer and closer to becoming my favourite Savatage albums -- they will possibly succeed in that eventually. Time will tell...
As to Fight, yes, you are correct.
07.04.2020 - 07:46
majormalfunction

Written by Redel on 06.04.2020 at 22:40

Yeah, I know, it is quite odd to have Handful on top.
If I remember correctly, Handful and Streets where my first Savatage albums.
Love at first sight. With Handful the love always stayed, with Streets it vanished slightly over the years.
I guess I always saw -- and loved -- Savatage more like a hard-rockish Metal band. That was certainly for Handful and Streets. And that is probably why I -- still today -- like Handful the most (while for others it is too hard-rockish).
But I have to say that the more Metal-like albums, such as Gutter Ballet and Hall, grew on my heavily over the last 20 years, and thus come closer and closer to becoming my favourite Savatage albums -- they will possibly succeed in that eventually. Time will tell...
As to Fight, yes, you are correct.

Makes sense I think Handful of Rain was my first Savatage album as well (in a double pack with the Ghost in the Ruins live album), so I also have a special bond to it. Unlike you however i've grown a bit tired of it. Or maybe tired is wrong word but I don't enjoy it as much today. When looking at the individual tracks there's not much to complain about but I quite rarely listens to the entire album.
----
07.04.2020 - 22:57
Redel

Written by majormalfunction on 07.04.2020 at 07:46

Unlike you however i've grown a bit tired of it. Or maybe tired is wrong word but I don't enjoy it as much today. When looking at the individual tracks there's not much to complain about but I quite rarely listens to the entire album.

And totally understandably so. Even I wouldnt claim that all songs on Handful are excellent. That holds for all Savatage albums imo.

Hits total: 4504 | This month: 20