Metal Storm logo
The Best Horror Movies Of All Time

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 30.06.2007 - 03:25
Well I've been buying DVD's lately, I'm proud to have such classics as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Alive...but I was wondering which movies are in your top 5 or top 10...any Horror movie dudes, it doesn't matter if it's zombies, ghosts, monsters or slahers

My top 5 goes more o less like this:

#5: Cabin Fever (I just can't get enough of watching stupid kids spreading a flesh eating disease, yeah it's way in the line of Evil Dead but it's just too cool and the girls have great boobs)

#4: Day Of The Dead (Romero's third installment in his trilogy, a great piece actually, the last scene is just sickening)

#3: Dawn Of The Dead (Damn it...it's just...amazing)

#2: Dead Alive: (Peter Jackson did this? god damn it he was a gory motherfucker...the goriest film I've ever seen)

#1: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The master of Slasher films)

There are other good films I love, some of them are still on my "to buy list" and on my "please stop renting them or you'll end up begging for money in the streeths"

-Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (Damn, this is chilling)
-Suspiria (Masterpiece)
-The Night Of The Living Dead
-Evil Dead
-Curtains

some others...which ones are your favorites
16.01.2013 - 17:11
Jtbmetal123

Thats so hard to choice which are the best but I know that The Devils Rejects are on my list.
02.02.2013 - 14:40
Seita
Account deleted
Written by Don Martin on 19.08.2011 at 15:48

#1 The Thing by John Carpenter (It's just a masterpiece, Rob Bottin's effects MAKE the movie.)
#2 Braindead by Peter Jackson (Favourite quote: "Yeah, one o' dem macrophiliacs!" "Necrophiliac, you stupid arsehole!")
#3 I Tre Volti De La Paura by Mario Bava (also known as Black Sabbath. This movie is split up in 3 parts called: The Telephone, The Wurdulak and The Ring if I remeber correctly, but these parts have nothing in common I think. Especially the second where the Wurdulak appears is good.)
#4 Cannibal Holocaust by Ruggero Deodato (Presented as something like "The Blair Witch Project" but with Southern American jungle cannibals.)
#5 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre by Tobe Hooper (A classic, but it has to be the original one. Remakes suck big cock)

I like old horror better than new. Don't really buy all this Saw stuff. I think it's gonna be the new Police Academy, I think. Also new horror is all about these moments where you jump because the serial killer or whatever suddenly is standing behind his future victim and you go "HOLY SHIT OMG I WAS LIEK SO SCAERD". I don't think there's a moment like that in all my favourite films. The eerieness of The Thing slowly builds up to the end of the movie.

Great choices! It's nice to see some other folks who understand real horror, haha. The Thing is truly a masterpiece and is, in my opinion, the best Carpenter flick (even though it's not my personal favorite). Cannibal Holocaust is a chilling film and one of the most realistic I've ever seen - any modern take on its premise (like The Blair Witch Project) pales in comparison. Black Sabbath is a great Bava piece although I think Black Sunday would ultimately get my vote - both films are exceptional either way though. If I had to choose ten off the top of my head, as objectively as possible, I'd probably go with the following:

Romero's Night Of The Living Dead
The Exorcist
Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
Suspiria
Murnau's Nosferatu
Carpenter's The Thing
Cannibal Holocaust
The Brood
Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
De Palma's Carrie

Those aren't in order, just a quick, whimsical list there, haha. Those are titles I'd probably suggest to someone not all that familiar with horror but with an interest to get familiar with it.
25.04.2013 - 09:50
fnorg91

Tough, but I'll try.

1)House of the Devil
2)Evil Dead 2
3)The Thing
4)Braindead (Dead Alive)
5)Dawn of the dead (Original)

that was damn hard.
02.07.2015 - 16:45
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
The Fly (80s)
The Thing (80s)
Dawn of the Dead (70s)
Day of the Dead (80s)
The Shining
Re-Animator
Hellraiser
Psycho (60s)
Zombie Flesh Eaters
The Wicker Man (70s)
14.10.2015 - 04:45
MoonProgeny

It's difficult to choose the "best" horror films of all-time seeing as I haven't seen the majority of them but, off the top of my head, I've certainly enjoyed The Conjuring, Black Swan, Trick 'R Treat and Sinister from recent years. Even though Black Swan is more than just a horror film, it's theme and general mood certainly give way to darkness and existential terror. The Conjuring and Sinister are both extremely effective horror films all around, I feel, with good acting and atmosphere while Trick 'R Treat is just a total blast to watch. Come to think of it, with Halloween coming up soon, I am sure Trick 'R Treat will be back in the DVD player soon enough, haha.
21.07.2016 - 09:14
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Lately I've been traversing the various lists I keep of the movies I've seen, so I might as well throw in my two cents. As it currently stands, my list is as follows:

1. Dawn of the Dead (the original, although the remake was very good)
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. The Horde
4. The Thing
5. Never mind, I can't choose just one more.

Vying for that fifth spot, I've got Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, plus I Saw the Devil, Braindead, Citadel, The Omen, and [Rec].

Of course, it does feel like a crime to not even mention The Exorcist or Night of the Living Dead, and I do have a soft spot for Land of the Dead, as well as old horror anthologies like Asylum, Vault of Horror, Torture Garden, From Beyond the Grave, etc. I love Isolation for being simultaneously ridiculous and serious business, but also 28 Weeks Later for having one of the creepiest atmospheres of any movie I've seen, and Imprint for being all-around disturbing. Supergator has my all-time favorite death scene, with Day of the Dead close behind with the second.

I'll also throw in my five least favorite horror movies for good measure:

1. Every single Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters, or similar franchise installment
2. World War Z
3. Don't Blink
4. The Darkness
5. The Exorcist II: The Heretic
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
11.10.2017 - 18:06
Metal_Elle

For me, the best horror movies of all time are the 3rd and 4th episodes of Nightmare On Elm Street.
25.12.2017 - 04:39
Drippy.Hippie

I really love the Saw franchise. The traps are so intriguing. Also, I love the different approach to the Slasher sub-genre apart from the typical masked serial killer with a weapon chasing people through the woods
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
15.03.2019 - 12:59
Cistern Rumbler

A big chunk of the horror I like tends to lean towards the whole exploitation thing. For example some of my all-time favourites are I Spit On Your Grave, The Last House On The Left, The Driller Killer, The House On The Edge Of The Park, Combat Shock, Dark Age, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1 & 2, The Hills Have Eyes, Maniac, Cannibal Holocaust, Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer etc. Horror comedies also hit my sweet spot and anything sloppy and demented like Frank Henenlotter's works (Basket Case, Brain Damage, Frankenhooker and so on) or the early Peter Jackson stuff (Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, Braindead and so on).

Those aside though I enjoy the classics:

The Evil Dead 1 & 2
The Thing
Alien
Day Of The Dead
Dawn Of The Dead (original)
Re-Animator
Night Of The Living Dead
Jaws
The Omen Trilogy
Orca
Zombie Flesh Eaters (Zombi 2)
Friday The 13th
Maniac Cop
Altered States
Scanners
Videodrome
The Fly
An American Werewolf In London
Christine
The Return Of The Living Dead

Also I have to shout-out more light-hearted and fun stuff like Tremors, Class of Nuke 'Em High and Mr. Vampire as well as my favourite Troma masterpiece Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV.

Oh and the best werewolf movie I've ever seen is Dog Soldiers.

If anybody here likes serial killer films but maybe wants to see something that focuses more on realism and building an atmosphere and tension, check out the movie Tony. Great stuff.
16.01.2020 - 20:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Watch Trailer For GLENN DANZIG's 'Verotika' Ahead Of Blu-Ray/DVD Release

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/watch-trailer-for-glenn-danzigs-verotika-ahead-of-blu-ray-dvd-release/

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.02.2021 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Here's The First Trailer For GLENN DANZIG's Vampire Spaghetti Western 'Death Rider In The House Of Vampires'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/heres-the-first-trailer-for-glenn-danzigs-vampire-spaghetti-western-death-rider-in-the-house-of-vampires/

Checked it, in Mexico once has a bar what calls ''Titties Twister'' and that woman from hourse whit big boobs might be from there.
Checked , cant judge a biy From Dusk Till Down rip off IMO, I might check it, might not, but I wont pay for this.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.06.2021 - 21:28
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
My top 5 would be
1. Bad Taste (Peter Jackson)
2. Evil Dead (Sam Raimi)
3. Brain Dead (Peter Jackson)
4. Dawn Of the Dead ( Original, George A Romero.)
5. The Exorcist (William Friedkin)
02.04.2022 - 03:15
Metal Rasputin

Pretty hard to simply choose the best, there's so many good ones. I'm more into art house and cult stuff myself, so

1. Santa Sange - I just love this kind of surreal films that dodge any simple labels and definitions. This one's a fairy tale like story of a serial killer with lots and lots of strange humor and symbolism. The faulty English translation and dub only add to the dreamlike quality of this film. I wish I could hit my head hard enough and lose my memories so I could watch this for the first time again.

2. The Brides of Dracula - IMO this is Hammer's best film. It's a sequel to the first Dracula film, but this time it follows the badass vampire hunter Van Helsing and his battle against an oedipean vampire that really doesn't have anything to do with the good old Drac. In Matrix Reloaded there's this one scene where a villain's goons are watching this film for no reason, so you know Wachowskis are also huge fans. I'm pretty sure this film was also a huge inspiration for the original Castlevania.

3. The Thing, the John Carpenter remake from the 80's. You guys probably already know this one.

4. The Revenge of Frankenstein - Another one of Hammer's. I think the first sequel of Frankenstein encapsulates everything I love about Hammer, Terence Fisher and Peter Cushing. It probably won't scare anyone these days, but the bleak atmosphere, Peter frigging Cushing, the elegant "less is more" kind of storytelling and the legendary ending make this film.

5. Beauty and the Beast, a Czechoslovakian version from the 70's. Forget Disney, this one's a fairy tale film mixed with horror aesthetics, grotesque imagery and even some visual poetry. Juraj Herz is one of my favourite film directors of all time, the man clearly loved everything gothic and macabre, even his sense of humor was so sick and dark it was really funny.

6. Possession by Andrzej Żuławski. This one's pretty surreal to say the least, the longer the story goes the less it starts to make sense. Isabelle Adjani as a lustful murderous woman building a monster out of her insanity and flesh of men is one of the best and most extreme female acting I have ever seen in my life. The trailer just nails it.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
20.09.2022 - 15:07
nonZero

For me, it has to be:

1. The Shining
2. The Thing
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Psycho
5. Alien

Not hardcore/underground or gritty like Henry: POASK or Cannibal Holocaust I know (although I have seen both)
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
26.11.2022 - 22:16
Horsymet

Classics :
1 / The Thing
2 / Night of the Living Dead
3/ Alien & Aliens
4/ Jaws
5/ The Exorcist

Moderns :
1/ 28 Days Later & Train for Busan
2/ The Descent
3/ ●REC & ●REC 2
4/ The Mist
5/ Ring

Hidden gems :
1/ The Cabin in the Woods
2/ Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
3/ The Wailing
4/ Trollhunter
5/ The Invitation
01.01.2023 - 20:39
Dean0495

As Above So Below
REC 2
Grave Encounters
The Fourth KInd
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
A Dark Song
Hereditary
Paranormal Activity
The Last Exorcism
The Possession of Michael King
The Atticus Institute
Devil's Due
The Shrine
The House of the Devil
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
The Omen
15.06.2023 - 19:59
Brutal Water

Here are my top 5:

1 - The Shining (US cut, which is about 20 - 30 mins longer than the European cut I grew up with)
2 - The Thing (the Carpenter one, duh)
3 - The Exorcist (Director's Cut)
4 - Alien (love both the theatrical cut and the DC equally in their own rights)
5 - Braindead (aka Dead Alive, but the version called Braindead is longer)

I'm sure you've all seen The Shining countless times, but like with any Kubrick movie (except Day of the Fight and Killer's Kiss), there's something new to discover with every viewing.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you noticed these details?

-) There's a body (or some mass of flesh) in the blood elevator. It's very subtle, but it's there. And no, it's NOT a blood bag that fell out on accident. Every time they filmed a take, it took them about 10 days to clean the miniature set and prepare everything for the next take again. After doing this for over a year (!) they finally got a shot where the body is BARELY visible. Watch the left door of the left elevator closely; you'll even see the blood bouncing off the body once it hits the floor. I must have seen the movie 50+ times before I read about this somewhere and finally noticed it.

-) In the scene where Danny and Halloran talk about the shining, Danny will eventually start probing him about the hotel. Notice the camera angle change and there are exactly 9 kitchen knives in the background hanging above Danny's head. Like the 9 of Swords Tarot card (which is one you DON'T wanna draw).

-) In the photo at the very end you can spot Roosevelt and McNamara amongst other important political figures. Apparently the photo is from the Gold Reserve. Legend has it that the ballroom was initially silver-themed, but then Kubrick came up with some ideas and had them change the room to gold. Coupled with the scene where Jack keeps throwing the ball against the wall with all the Native American paintings and artifacts, I think you can put two and two together regarding why the hotel is cursed. (Oh right, they mentioned that they had to fight off some tribe in one of the US cut-only scenes, grah.)

-) The magazine Jack is reading when waiting for Ullman in the lobby is a PlayGIRL (not Playboy). There's a popular theory (which I'm personally not a fan of) about the movie really being about Jack molesting Danny. I mean, I can see where they get these hints from (gay teddybear ghost, phallic space shuttle on Danny's sweater, etc.), but I don't like theories that spoil the atmosphere.

-) In the scene where Danny is talking to the doctor (again: US cut only) the teddybear's eyes have been cut to shape them like the floor dials above the elevator doors. People have tracked down the type of teddybear used in the movie and found that the eyes were originally circular, so they must have trimmed them for the movie.

I could go on and on, but I only got 4 more hours before I have to hit the bed and there's weed to smoke, games to play and DM to listen to.
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
16.06.2023 - 17:18
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 15.06.2021 at 21:28

2. Evil Dead (Sam Raimi)

You put the 2 in the beginning of the title instead of at the end :p
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?