Metal Storm logo
The Best Horror Movies Of All Time

Original post

Posted by Herzebeth, 30.06.2007 - 03:25
Well I've been buying DVD's lately, I'm proud to have such classics as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dead Alive...but I was wondering which movies are in your top 5 or top 10...any Horror movie dudes, it doesn't matter if it's zombies, ghosts, monsters or slahers

My top 5 goes more o less like this:

#5: Cabin Fever (I just can't get enough of watching stupid kids spreading a flesh eating disease, yeah it's way in the line of Evil Dead but it's just too cool and the girls have great boobs)

#4: Day Of The Dead (Romero's third installment in his trilogy, a great piece actually, the last scene is just sickening)

#3: Dawn Of The Dead (Damn it...it's just...amazing)

#2: Dead Alive: (Peter Jackson did this? god damn it he was a gory motherfucker...the goriest film I've ever seen)

#1: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The master of Slasher films)

There are other good films I love, some of them are still on my "to buy list" and on my "please stop renting them or you'll end up begging for money in the streeths"

-Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (Damn, this is chilling)
-Suspiria (Masterpiece)
-The Night Of The Living Dead
-Evil Dead
-Curtains

some others...which ones are your favorites
13.04.2011 - 08:08
vulgar talent
Begotten by E. Elias Merhige
14.04.2011 - 22:43
Kennoth
I watched a LOT of slashers and cheap horror movies, but not of them really stood out. I guess from newer horror movies I have to say that Saw I (though some other parts are awesome too) take the cake EASILY. I mean ending twist is so superb.

From older movies, The Shining is my favorite. Jack Nicholson was really brilliant in that one. I should really watch that movie again sometime.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
15.04.2011 - 17:55
0rpheus
Have anyone seen this movie...
Phoonk 2: Producer Ram Gopal Varma pays you to watch his Hindi horror film
But there are conditions -- to win five lakhs you must watch it alone, let the public outside the cinema monitor your heart rate and allow a night vision camera to make sure you don't hide.
Sounds ridiculous! who knows?
http://www.cnngo.com/mumbai/play/phoonk-2-483560
----
I would prefer not to.
17.04.2011 - 23:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Kennoth on 14.04.2011 at 22:43

I watched a LOT of slashers and cheap horror movies, but not of them really stood out. I guess from newer horror movies I have to say that Saw I (though some other parts are awesome too) take the cake EASILY. I mean ending twist is so superb.

SAW? Horror? Yeah..... : Just because it has a lot of blood it doesn't mean it's a horror movie.
nothing scary at all, the twist endings worked on the first one... but it's a onetrick ponny, sooooo predictable now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2011 - 00:02
Vikcen
Metálico
Antichrist, by Lars von Trier.
18.04.2011 - 04:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Indidious is pretty fuckin scary. I watched it in theaters w/o seeing any previews and it made me poo myself
11.06.2011 - 02:49
Dies Irae
Japanese Ju-On (the Grudge or whatever it's called in English)
there is more than one movie, but the original japanese version is realy creepy and plays with your psyche
11.06.2011 - 02:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Dies Irae on 11.06.2011 at 02:49

Really? I thought it was a pretty decent comedy, nothing more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2011 - 03:24
Dies Irae
Personally blood, massacre etc. don't frighten me at all...
I haven't seen any movie that would properly scare me, but when I have to choose
I would say that psychological effects (anticipation etc...) creep me the most
11.06.2011 - 09:07
whatsacow
Written by Vikcen on 18.04.2011 at 00:02

more disturbing than scary... the genital mutilation was a bit.... fucked up lol.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
11.06.2011 - 12:19
ANGEL REAPER
The Silence of the Lambs...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.06.2011 - 14:26
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by whatsacow on 11.06.2011 at 09:07

Written by Vikcen on 18.04.2011 at 00:02

more disturbing than scary... the genital mutilation was a bit.... fucked up lol.

Yeah, haha! Well, this movie is really capable of infuriating you =).
21.06.2011 - 15:00
Metal_4Ever
Written by Dies Irae on 11.06.2011 at 02:49

there is more than one movie, but the original japanese version is realy creepy and plays with your psyche

Yeah I'd say that The Grudge is the best scary movie..
24.06.2011 - 23:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious

From older movies, The Shining is my favorite. Jack Nicholson was really brilliant in that one. I should really watch that movie again sometime.

Although the Saw series went downhill as it went on, the first one is still a great movie filled with genuine tension and suspense. And that "Game Over!" ending has to go down as one of the all time classic horror movies endings. xD

The Shining is a classic example of showing that you don't need blood and guts to make a movie really creepy. Jack Nicholson's performance in that movie is so intense, you can almost feel it through the screen. The first time I seen that movie, it totally whacked me out. lol Same sorta thing with Silence Of The Lambs that Angel Reaper mentioned.
25.06.2011 - 05:08
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.06.2011 at 23:49

Although the Saw series went downhill as it went on, the first one is still a great movie filled with genuine tension and suspense. And that "Game Over!" ending has to go down as one of the all time classic horror movies endings. xD

The Shining is a classic example of showing that you don't need blood and guts to make a movie really creepy. Jack Nicholson's performance in that movie is so intense, you can almost feel it through the screen. The first time I seen that movie, it totally whacked me out. lol Same sorta thing with Silence Of The Lambs that Angel Reaper mentioned.

Oh yes, Silence of the Lambs! Also a superb movie. Although more of a thriller than horror. I also really enjoyed The Shining TV series too. Ever watched?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
25.06.2011 - 05:13
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 25.06.2011 at 05:08

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.06.2011 at 23:49

Oh yes, Silence of the Lambs! Also a superb movie. Although more of a thriller than horror. I also really enjoyed The Shining TV series too. Ever watched?

I love the shining. I used to live somewhat in that area. I have been to the hotel a couple times to visit it. Classic movie though, it really set the pace for tons of movies after that.
25.06.2011 - 05:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 25.06.2011 at 05:08

Well, it's sort of inbetween a thriller and a horror, but I'd personally class it as a horror because it really did creep me out something awful. Nope, I didn't even know there was a Shining tv series! I did see the tv series' of The Stand though, another great Stephen King adaptation. xD

@EmperorGonzo: You've been to the hotel from The Shining? That's awesome... I'd like to visit it one day myself, just to say that I'd been there. lol Is the photograph from the ending there too?
25.06.2011 - 14:44
ANGEL REAPER
Btw (sorry if it was mentioned before) but i find Dog Soldiers pretty good low budget horror movie (with werewolves )..its interesting from start to finish and here and there are few twists that keep your attention till the end...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.06.2011 - 16:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Dod Soldiers is a great British horror. The guy who did it, Neil Marshall, also did The Descent which is one of the all time fave horrors, and films generally.
25.06.2011 - 22:51
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
@Angelic Storm Yes it is.

Has anyone ever seen Dead Alive?
25.06.2011 - 23:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 25.06.2011 at 22:51

Yes, although the movie was called "Braindead" over here. I remember seeing it in the cinema, and there only being 2 other people besides me there to watch it.

It's not really so much scary, as just all out gross. Definitely not a movie Id want to watch while eating! haha
25.06.2011 - 23:33
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.06.2011 at 23:27

Written by Guest on 25.06.2011 at 22:51

Yes, although the movie was called "Braindead" over here. I remember seeing it in the cinema, and there only being 2 other people besides me there to watch it.

It's not really so much scary, as just all out gross. Definitely not a movie Id want to watch while eating! haha

Agreed. It was just odd to see Peter Jackson make this movie then pull out Lord Of The Rings.
19.08.2011 - 15:48
Don Martin
le fu-
#1 The Thing by John Carpenter (It's just a masterpiece, Rob Bottin's effects MAKE the movie.)
#2 Braindead by Peter Jackson (Favourite quote: "Yeah, one o' dem macrophiliacs!" "Necrophiliac, you stupid arsehole!")
#3 I Tre Volti De La Paura by Mario Bava (also known as Black Sabbath. This movie is split up in 3 parts called: The Telephone, The Wurdulak and The Ring if I remeber correctly, but these parts have nothing in common I think. Especially the second where the Wurdulak appears is good.)
#4 Cannibal Holocaust by Ruggero Deodato (Presented as something like "The Blair Witch Project" but with Southern American jungle cannibals.)
#5 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre by Tobe Hooper (A classic, but it has to be the original one. Remakes suck big cock)

I like old horror better than new. Don't really buy all this Saw stuff. I think it's gonna be the new Police Academy, I think. Also new horror is all about these moments where you jump because the serial killer or whatever suddenly is standing behind his future victim and you go "HOLY SHIT OMG I WAS LIEK SO SCAERD". I don't think there's a moment like that in all my favourite films. The eerieness of The Thing slowly builds up to the end of the movie.
----
What a tackastrophe!
20.08.2011 - 14:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 25.06.2011 at 23:33

Agreed. It was just odd to see Peter Jackson make this movie then pull out Lord Of The Rings.

He had some talent on that. I worked a bit with his first films for my filmclass. I had to work with only movies from the 80's and most of my class (who not-so-surprisingly enjoys mostly mainstream/modern films) were suprised when I told them that the trailer I showed to them (the movie Meeth The Feebles, AWESOME movie btw) was one of Peter Jackson's first.
Heh, when one douche I always hated (who kissed James Cameron's ass during his entire presentation and claims that all the films from 2000 to the present are the best ones) commented on how amateur the movie was I told him that at least you could already see that Jackson could make some decent and well constructed yet simple plots, he just needed some cash.

Also... the movie is meant to be trashy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2011 - 09:41
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2011 at 14:39

I told him that at least you could already see that Jackson could make some decent and well constructed yet simple plots, he just needed some cash.

Also... the movie is meant to be trashy.

Touché #2 (not on me though ), that was exactly what I was thinking seeing Braindead for the first time. Jackson is such a tremendous director and he knows how to present the ideas in his head to the public.

I love Braindead, is a kickass zombie movie with just the right amount of ickyness and comedy. I'm all about horrors of any kind and I can take a lot, but the scene with the dinner where granny loses her ear in her soup and then eats me.... Boy, I had my whole dinner, lunch and breakfast jumping up my stomach. Pure horror. But my fave is the scene with hitting the baby up the pole

I liked Bad Taste as well, but not as much as Braindead. Bad Taste shows that Jackson had less money to work with than Braindead, but nonetheless, the movie is fairly amusing and watchable. Unlike most movies nowadays that cost much moreand make my eyes bleed (sometimes ears too, The Unborn go fu*ck yourself.... ekhm, sorry, I really really can't forgive myself for spending 5$ to see that piece of complete crap).

And oh, yesterday I saw that Fright Night is hitting the cinemas (well, it already did in the US and kinda burnt down) with Colin Farrel as the lead meany meany guy. I don't know it I should be psyched (he was awesome in In Brugges) or cry a bit (I can't help myself but seeing Colin Farrel with beer and joint in his hands..... like all the time).
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
22.08.2011 - 13:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by AnGina-- on 22.08.2011 at 09:41

Touché #2 (not on me though ),

Lols

Quote:

I liked Bad Taste as well, but not as much as Braindead. Bad Taste shows that Jackson had less money to work with than Braindead, but nonetheless, the movie is fairly amusing and watchable.

Bad taste is pretty nice indeed although it wasn't as amusing as Meet The Feebles which I found simply amazing.
I haven't watch braindead though... yeah, I suck.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2011 - 20:04
Gurth Bennas
The Ring(japanese version) - the Eye - Others - Let Me In and Saw just the first part. these are the best horror movies of all time IMO.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
01.01.2013 - 23:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Don't know if anyone watched the movie Sinister yet, but its very good and scary. It fucks with your brain.
I give it a 8 out of 10.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.01.2013 - 20:38
MetalSpider
Written by Guib on 01.01.2013 at 23:32

Don't know if anyone watched the movie Sinister yet, but its very good and scary. It fucks with your brain.
I give it a 8 out of 10.

It was an ok movie. it had the typical modern horror movie clichés and some jumpy moments but nothing really scary (then again i dont find most horror movies scary). The idea of sinister is pretty interesting. The sound design was really well done though.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.01.2013 - 21:23
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Well, I would say that most Asian/Japanese are IMO the best in horror movies. I have seen a few but can't remember the names. The only title I can remember is Ju-On (The Grudge) but there was another which I thought was better and gorier . I will try and post the name of it if I do find it.